Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
Up to a point I agree but what if we were still at a stage where the rate of infection hadn't dropped and the government imposed say another two weeks. People need to take responsibility for the ir actions or we're never going to break the back of the epidemic
How do we know that we haven't when we don't know the extent of infection. You'll never convince me that this hasn't been in the country for some months prior to the lockdown.

Stuart_C

Loud & Wide
In many parts of the country theres already a division between police and the public, the latter having very little care or consideration for the fantastic job they do. Sending them into parks and public spaces to hand fines out will only fuel the situation and turn a certain section of the public against them.

Ok theres a small % of absolute jobsworth bobbies across the country but there is in every profession up and down the country.

I know our Cheif Con is against the heavy handed approach instead opting to work within the communities.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
How do we know that we haven't when we don't know the extent of infection. You'll never convince me that this hasn't been in the country for some months prior to the lockdown.
99.9% sure it has been! France have gone on record of saying they have a proven case 27th December

Sweden are saying they could have had one in November

Would easily be hidden as flu at first .. undetected .. easily could have got here

We had an illness rip through work over Xmas. I mean everyone was dropping like flies. I got pulled in to cover the desks and then I went off after that (luckily I was leave that week so didn't have to go sick) we don't have Mickey takers with sick in our department and I'd say 1/3rd of the workforce was off with flu like symptoms

Never been as Ill in my entire life

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
99.9% sure it has been! France have gone on record of saying they have a proven case 27th December

Sweden are saying they could have had one in November

Would easily be hidden as flu at first .. undetected .. easily could have got here

We had an illness rip through work over Xmas. I mean everyone was dropping like flies. I got pulled in to cover the desks and then I went off after that (luckily I was leave that week so didn't have to go sick) we don't have Mickey takers with sick in our department and I'd say 1/3rd of the workforce was off with flu like symptoms

Never been as Ill in my entire life
You're probably right and as you say easy to mis-represent it as flu or a respiratory infection as it affects the lungs. It must have been circulating in China before the Wuhan outbreak and with the ease of global travel these days easy to pass it unknowingly.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
You're probably right and as you say easy to mis-represent it as flu or a respiratory infection as it affects the lungs. It must have been circulating in China before the Wuhan outbreak and with the ease of global travel these days easy to pass it unknowingly.
We have some well traveled people I work with aswell.. one has been to almost 2 3rds of the blooming world . Could have easily brought it back unknowingly

One guy had it not long ago. He's 27 I believe. Fit as a fiddle ex army lad . He got it bad. Was bed bound for days. He's only just made it back to work now

Another guy had it recently. His minister at his church had a confirmed case (passed away) and he did some DIY for him. His family got it

Spreads like wildfire for sure

We just got a delivery of masks so I assume the advise is changing

Have had hand sanitizer for months as the boss was tracking through Europe and ordered it as he super paranoid

Paid off for us

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
We have some well traveled people I work with aswell.. one has been to almost 2 3rds of the blooming world . Could have easily brought it back unknowingly

One guy had it not long ago. He's 27 I believe. Fit as a fiddle ex army lad . He got it bad. Was bed bound for days. He's only just made it back to work now

Another guy had it recently. His minister at his church had a confirmed case (passed away) and he did some DIY for him. His family got it

Spreads like wildfire for sure

We just got a delivery of masks so I assume the advise is changing

Have had hand sanitizer for months as the boss was tracking through Europe and ordered it as he super paranoid

Paid off for us
Sounds like you've made some great calls in terms of protecting the workforce as much as possible. The biggest issue will be if masks become compulsory, what will that do to NHS supply? We have already had cases of masks, sanitiser and gloves going walkabouts (rumours about it being agency nurses but all hearsay)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Sounds like you've made some great calls in terms of protecting the workforce as much as possible. The biggest issue will be if masks become compulsory, what will that do to NHS supply? We have already had cases of masks, sanitiser and gloves going walkabouts (rumours about it being agency nurses but all hearsay)
I am convinced that they won't affect the NHS supply too much as I can see it being a face covering. Non medical standard. Just something to stop you spreading it if you have it rather than stop catching it

Even home made ones

Leaving the proper ppe where it should be

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Cobblers. Sorry, but when most police forces were cut to the bone, they remained focused on community policing because it is still the foundation upon which policing in this country is built. Do you sit all day at your window specifically seeking out the police?

The two biggest bandwagons in this country, and the most misinformed, are that police are no longer visible in the community and that they spend their entire lives targeting the poor, innocent motorist.

Well, I'll be saying cobblers to that... Living in outer suburbia seeing plod in recent times is a very rare sight... Until the last few weeks that is... Locking up all the cop shops and excluding joe public hardly smacks of community policing... And, even when we had the minister for policing as our MP it didn't get any better...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Don't think police officers round this way have been handing out parking tickets for some time. Mostly done by local authority parking attendants.
I know that, that's why i put a full stop there. The point has been lost in irrelevant comments and I cant be bothered to go through it again.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
In many parts of the country theres already a division between police and the public, the latter having very little care or consideration for the fantastic job they do. Sending them into parks and public spaces to hand fines out will only fuel the situation and turn a certain section of the public against them.

Ok theres a small % of absolute jobsworth bobbies across the country but there is in every profession up and down the country.

I know our Cheif Con is against the heavy handed approach instead opting to work within the communities.
Police are there to uphold the law. Stopping the deaths caused by spreading this virus is vital to the country and people are aware of that, I would say 'most' people would support them moving people on who were not distancing and even handing out fines.

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
You dont need to. As I suggested you dont need to police everywhere, a few Police in a park with loudspeakers and handing out some fines will clear it, if you do it consistently the word gets around. One problem is the fines are too small, some £800 first fines would make an impression. What stops most people speeding in cars or parking on yellow lines?
Don't think police officers round this way have been handing out parking tickets for some time. Mostly done by local authority parking attendants.
I know that, that's why i put a full stop there. The point has been lost in irrelevant comments and I cant be bothered to go through it again.
Not between speeding & parking you didn't, and they are dealt with by two different authorities, hence the comment.

Stuart_C

Loud & Wide
Police are there to uphold the law. Stopping the deaths caused by spreading this virus is vital to the country and people are aware of that, I would say 'most' people would support them moving people on who were not distancing and even handing out fines.
There’s a fine line between upholding the law and alienating the public/communities. The lockdown from the outset has been a joke.

Are you surprised when theres been leaked plans from the govt prior to a bank holiday weekend to loosen the lockdown from Monday?

The lockdown has been a half arsed one too, so many mixed messages coming from the govt.

Its ok you sitting there suggesting it’ll be ok because the OB will have support from majority, you don’t have to deal with the backlash from minority causing problems, within the communities. I’ll it leave to the experts who have a proven track record.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Cobblers. Sorry, but when most police forces were cut to the bone, they remained focused on community policing because it is still the foundation upon which policing in this country is built. Do you sit all day at your window specifically seeking out the police?

The two biggest bandwagons in this country, and the most misinformed, are that police are no longer visible in the community and that they spend their entire lives targeting the poor, innocent motorist.
It looks like you are the one sitting in your window seeking the police out . Or your patrol car is it that you look out of?
There were two in my road first day of lockdown ,first and last I have seen for a very long time here.
It’s not a bandwagon .
I havnt seen them ! Is that simple enough for you?
The only two cops I see on a regular basis are on the Prescot by pass every few days with a speed camera! That’s a fact.
But you belive what you see I will what I don’t!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
This conversation is chasing red herrings, Speed cameras are nothing to do with it. Are you're saying we should not fine anyone for anything as it's impossible to hand out the tickets?

Cameras dont give out parking tickets. We do have Police and Community Officers who can do this, it's not as though we need them all on the roads at the moment.
Will you please show me where I said “ we should not fine anyone for anything”

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
It looks like you are the one sitting in your window seeking the police out . Or your patrol car is it that you look out of?
There were two in my road first day of lockdown ,first and last I have seen for a very long time here.
It’s not a bandwagon .
I havnt seen them ! Is that simple enough for you?
The only two cops I see on a regular basis are on the Prescot by pass every few days with a speed camera! That’s a fact.
But you belive what you see I will what I don’t!
I've seen so many police since lock down. On the way to work seeing more and more cars patrolling .. they randomly drive past the house aswell

hovis

Tour Winner
Well, I'll be saying cobblers to that... Living in outer suburbia seeing plod in recent times is a very rare sight... Until the last few weeks that is... Locking up all the cop shops and excluding joe public hardly smacks of community policing... And, even when we had the minister for policing as our MP it didn't get any better...
The police have just moved into our fire station. The local policing team do not go on the beat apart from Saturday evenings. They are snowed under with work and only leave the station for specific reasons. If anything the response police spend more time out and about that the local policing teams.