Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Swinglowandslow

Because you have to play to your most stupid people and we have plenty of those. Saying it's OK to have a street party was ridiculous. People might start with the best intentions but add alcohol to the equation and you have a disaster.
Don't get me wrong, have the party. Just don't then tell me I can't sit on a riverbank for a days fishing on my own!
I see where you are coming from, inasmuch that "Einstein was right" ( re his quote😀)
However, there must be a limit. If you use clear English in England, and there are those who ignore it, it is not the fault of those giving advice.
And as a fellow fisherman, I agree that we could fish, the most social distancing pastime there is. However, that is a different question.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
At work yesterday a woman came in the brew room absolutely distraught, crying her eyes out. Massive queues at Morrisons to get in, then get out at the tills. Customers moaning at her all morning and she cracked. I felt very sorry for her. Just coz it's a nice sunny day and everyone wanted to get their BBQ stuff and booze in and get back out there. My guess is most don't give flying hoot about all this SD and want to get back to normal. No matter what.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Coupled with the government saying furlough rates to be reduced and I fear for the fitire somewhat.

People can't be trusted. I don't blame the government for trying to trust people, but those same people haven't repaid the faith.

The force shown in Italy and Spain should have been replicated here.
Genuine question, where did you see this? They have extended it to the end of June but I cant see anything about it being reduced.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Don’t have the manpower to police all the parks in London as well as everywhere else
You dont need to. As I suggested you dont need to police everywhere, a few Police in a park with loudspeakers and handing out some fines will clear it, if you do it consistently the word gets around. One problem is the fines are too small, some £800 first fines would make an impression. What stops most people speeding in cars or parking on yellow lines?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Genuine question, where did you see this? They have extended it to the end of June but I cant see anything about it being reduced.
I saw a few tv pieces about this on Wednesday/Thursday. Discussing how they’re going to end the scheme. Lots of talk about dropping the rate to 60%, 50% etc.

PaulS

You dont need to. As I suggested you dont need to police everywhere, a few Police in a park with loudspeakers and handing out some fines will clear it, if you do it consistently the word gets around. One problem is the fines are too small, some £800 first fines would make an impression. What stops most people speeding in cars.
I’m shocked if it’s as simple as you make it sound that they haven’t done it already.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
I’m shocked if it’s as simple as you make it sound that they haven’t done it already.
It's just the way we are, soft on crime. Take a look at Spain for instance and see how people have been locked down and the punishments for breaking it. If you knew you would get an £800 fine for breaking the rules would you chance it?

PaulS

It's just the way we are, soft on crime. Take a look at Spain for instance and see how people have been locked down and the punishments for breaking it. If you knew you would get an £800 fine for breaking the rules would you chance it?
So the initial statement was right - because we don’t have the punishments and the level of fines the police are pretty much powerless when it comes to what we see in the picture

Stuart_C

Loud & Wide
Thanks for that, I didnt find it. It looks like it's only speculation from the press at the moment.
In an interview last night, Mr Sunak tried to reassure workers and businesses that they will not face a 'cliff edge' of subsidies being withdrawn immediately when lockdown measures are eased.

But amid signs of strains within government about the huge burden on the country's finances, Mr Sunak pointed out that the furlough scheme could soon be costing the same as the NHS budget - an estimated £11 billion a month.

'I'm working, as we speak, to figure out the most effective way to wind down the (furlough) scheme and to ease people back into work in a measured way,' he told ITV.

'As some scenarios have suggested, we are potentially spending as much on the furlough scheme as we do on the NHS, for example. Clearly that is not a sustainable situation.'

More than just press speculation.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
So the initial statement was right - because we don’t have the punishments and the level of fines the police are pretty much powerless when it comes to what we see in the picture
No, if a few Policemen with loudhailers went into that park they could clear it in no time and some fines handed out would prevent it happening again.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
In an interview last night, Mr Sunak tried to reassure workers and businesses that they will not face a 'cliff edge' of subsidies being withdrawn immediately when lockdown measures are eased.

But amid signs of strains within government about the huge burden on the country's finances, Mr Sunak pointed out that the furlough scheme could soon be costing the same as the NHS budget - an estimated £11 billion a month.

'I'm working, as we speak, to figure out the most effective way to wind down the (furlough) scheme and to ease people back into work in a measured way,' he told ITV.

'As some scenarios have suggested, we are potentially spending as much on the furlough scheme as we do on the NHS, for example. Clearly that is not a sustainable situation.'

More than just press speculation.
I am not arguing with the concept and it's obvious the scheme cannot carry on for long. When I read about reports saying it would be reduced I couldnt find reports saying that. You provided a link to the DM where they speculated it being cut to 60%, so yes.

PaulS

No, if a few Policemen with loudhailers went into that park they could clear it in no time and some fines handed out would prevent it happening again.
And what happens if they ignore the loudhailer? How many police would it take to go around giving thousands a fine ?

The police have said it’s not manageable for them to be able to police large areas like that - it’s happened all over the country with the VE celebrations yesterday as well. That’s what happens when governments rip the forces to the bare bones and display mixed messages in what they say.