Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Not sure how true it is but I read the report on the proposed traffic light system as we move to red which allows some relief from the lockdown on 11th May, to further relaxing at amber on 25th May then more restrictions being lifted on 11th June as we hit green. Think I read it was being discussed by MPs as an option. Think it was on the metro website
seems logical, if a little on the fast side at least for some things (especially green)

GB72

Money List Winner
seems logical, if a little on the fast side at least for some things (especially green)
Yeah some of the green section seems a bit quick. There could be an argument for regional lifting of restrictions but then you would need the army on the roads stopping people in high infection areas heading to, for example, pubs in areas with restrictions lifted. Clear difference in risk between a small village pub and a massive central London weatherspoons but I guess you need one rule for everyone to stop further travelling to use amenities of n other areas

GB72

Money List Winner
Having watched the press conference tonight and being a bit of a cynic, I can see a very, very slight relaxation as early as the weekend. Not saying I would agree with it but a distinct change if tone today, I suspect in the main to target creeping complacency. The cynic in me, however can see a build up to the end of the week when Boris makes his first appearance since illness and he comes back with something positive, throws the public a small bone.

User20204

I agree there does seem to be some complacency as time has went on, certainly don't see the same fear in people's eyes like two or three weeks back. Not entirely sure we'll see any let up at all at the weekend given they've already stated we're in for another 3 weeks.

Wasn't the change in tone in regards the obvious flattening and possibly peak being hit.

GB72

Money List Winner
I agree there does seem to be some complacency as time has went on, certainly don't see the same fear in people's eyes like two or three weeks back. Not entirely sure we'll see any let up at all at the weekend given they've already stated we're in for another 3 weeks.

Wasn't the change in tone in regards the obvious flattening and possibly peak being hit.
I agree but the cynic in me sees Boris wanting to return with something good to say or some positive action rather than face the continued barrage of PPE enquiries.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Thread title -

It seems to have made a lot of you want to stray away from the thread title and make a lot of petty arguments between yourselves.

That has affected me in this forum in the sense that it is becoming quite upsetting to see that.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Thread title -

It seems to have made a lot of you want to stray away from the thread title and make a lot of petty arguments between yourselves.

That has affected me in this forum in the sense that it is becoming quite upsetting to see that.
You seem new around these parts. Literally every thread in OOB will descend into petty humourless arguments at some stage where people make the same point over and over again just to try and get one over on their forum nemesis. It's the beauty of the forum. Just accept it, don't fight it, go with it and marvel at the, at times, unbelievably petty behaviour that makes an argument between a bunch of 10 year old primary kids look like the model of maturity.

Golfers are no different to anyone else, we are just as insecure, petty, bored, close minded and myopic as everyone. Embrace the chaos. ;)

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Can't see us getting to red let alone green. Another poor night locally in terms of admissions and deaths. A lot of the consultants questioning the government numbers as they are not reflecting what their colleagues are seeing in their own trusts, not just in our surrounding area but colleagues working in areas like London Birmingham and Manchester

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Can't see us getting to red let alone green. Another poor night locally in terms of admissions and deaths. A lot of the consultants questioning the government numbers as they are not reflecting what their colleagues are seeing in their own trusts, not just in our surrounding area but colleagues working in areas like London Birmingham and Manchester
The graph yesterday did show the SE cases rising. Stay safe

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
It’s really sad that this is going to change the planned national VE Day
celebrations for the 8th of May, even a bank holiday was moved so we could all celebrate together, now it looks like we can’t.

At this time I feel for those veterans even more so, as well as the rest of the armed forces who draw courage from this day.

Any news on what the country is going to do instead if we celebrate it under lockdown?

Did you expect him to stand onto the dais and dive off doing a half pike with a double somersault. You really are a nasty little troll.
Woah just hold on a minute and just read the part of DfTs post that you highlighted. DfT is not the only person who thought that about Hancock. In my house we actually feel really sorry for the guy as he is under massive pressure and trying to hold to the government lines that he must. And if you were to believe some reports others are starting to point the finger of blame at Hancock - to deflect any blame that might come out of an enquiry at him and him alone.

That he came across as uncertain and hesitant in the briefing is hardly surprising given where the country is with PPE, testing etc, but that does not take from the fact that he did not come across well. And that is simply the truth of it. His uncertainty suggests that Hancock is a compassionate guy - that he cares and is desperate for things to work out and because of that looks like he alone is carrying the health of the nation on his back. And that would unnerve any caring person. We wish him well.

Wolf

It’s really sad that this is going to change the planned national VE Day
celebrations for the 8th of May, even a bank holiday was moved so we could all celebrate together, now it looks like we can’t.

At this time I feel for those veterans even more so, as well as the rest of the armed forces who draw courage from this day.

Any news on what the country is going to do instead if we celebrate it under lockdown?
Yet it is those veterans that will happily forgo celebrating the day publicly because they understand more than most what it means to sacrifice freedom for the better of the nation and they will make no complaints about the fact. Instead they'll offer their thoughts to lost friends from their homes keeping themselves and others safe from infection and at a time when they are allowed out then they will make their visits to places that matter to them.

Any member of the forces past or present will do the same and not bemoan it or want anyone feeling sorry for them, but instead like it if others do what you have done and reflect on the meaning of the day.

Be nice to see some old tributes on tv perhaps even reference it to Covid-19 and show what sacrifice was back then compared to what we're being asked to do now to give people true perspective that staying home really isn't as bad as it has been for past generations.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Woah just hold on a minute and just read the part of DfTs post that you highlighted. DfT is not the only person who thought that about Hancock. In my house we actually feel really sorry for the guy as he is under massive pressure and trying to hold to the government lines that he must. And if you were to believe some reports others are starting to point the finger of blame at Hancock - to deflect any blame that might come out of an enquiry at him and him alone.

That he came across as uncertain and hesitant in the briefing is hardly surprising given where the country is with PPE, testing etc, but that does not take from the fact that he did not come across well. And that is simply the truth of it. His uncertainty suggests that Hancock is a compassionate guy - that he cares and is desperate for things to work out and because of that looks like he alone is carrying the health of the nation on his back. And that would unnerve any caring person. We wish him well.
I tend to apply something akin to the 80/20 rule when I listen to the briefings. Providing the vast majority is on point I'll take it, and I'm semi-intelligent enough to fill in most of the gaps or understand the nuances that those doing the briefings are trying to put across.

In terms of Hancock being hesitant or stumbling a bit, listen to what he says after he stumbles or hesitates. If I had a ££ for every manager I've advised to not speak till they've fully formed the answer to the question that's come up from the floor I'd be a wealthy man. That is Hancock's failing, not the answer itself. He jumps in a little too soon with his answer, then has to qualify it a little or change direction as he fully understands the question. Far from thinking he's not up to the task, I'm starting to gain a bit of respect for him. But I'll qualify that by saying he made a promise of 100,000 tests. He still has to meet that target.