Club comps

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
One of the reasons we went to all booked tee times was that players were queuing from about 5.30 in the morning for a 7.30 opening on a Saturday morning.
This time of year, our first tee opens at 6:30. It used to be 7am, but the extra 30 mins makes a difference .
Thankfully we would be very unlikely to go to permanent tee bookings.

Diamond

Because if the women played off the white tees they would not win very often.
There would be a two tee comp and compensation shots to the ladies at mine .
But mainly because they don’t want to play with the men .
That’s just my personal experience.
I am new to the sport of golf so apologies but with amateur golf there are no pros. So have one set of tees for all and use the handicap system. It may mean men may gain a few shots off the white Tees and ladies gain even more shots but at least everyone can play the same competitions.

Traminator

I am new to the sport of golf so apologies but with amateur golf there are no pros. So have one set of tees for all and use the handicap system. It may mean men may gain a few shots off the white Tees and ladies gain even more shots but at least everyone can play the same competitions.
Can't do that.

There's such a huge difference in abilities, not one length of golf course can be suitable for all.
Some golfers drive the ball 100 yards, some 300 (both extremes) , they need different sets of tees for the course to be challenging and enjoyable for all.

Diamond

Each set of tees has a gender specific SSS (or Course Rating and Slope after WHS).
But it seems that the ladies were just better players on the day.
What I don’t understand is why there are gender specific tees when there is a handicap system.
I also don’t understand why the handicaps start at 28 when the reality is a novice is playing a good round at +36.
But I suppose with etiquette, social separation and the chance to play sport and dress smartly there are some things one has to endure. Roll on winter when I can get a tee time at Any time I want.

Diamond

Can't do that.

There's such a huge difference in abilities, not one length of golf course can be suitable for all.
Some golfers drive the ball 100 yards, some 300 (both extremes) , they need different sets of tees for the course to be challenging and enjoyable for all.
I agree with that socially but we are talking competitions. The people driving it 100 yards will have a big handicap for the comps off the white tees or is your point that men are scared to allow women to enter their comps and women want to play in men’s comps and have their own comps. If a lady is an 8 handicapper off the red tees and 18 off the white tees what’s the problem just have white tees.

sunshine

A lot of hard work has been done over the last two years to open up more and more comps for everyone to play - the only people that refused were the ladies.

The recent week was the straw that broke the camels back - everyone in the club understands that right now whilst it’s 9 holes only and 2 balls we needed to open up to everyone, as soon as the membership saw that there was only one reserved booking for 4 hours it all kicked off. They refused to make any sacrifice and just expected things to be normal.
Sounds familiar. I just don't get it :rolleyes:

Traminator

I agree with that socially but we are talking competitions. The people driving it 100 yards will have a big handicap for the comps off the white tees or is your point that men are scared to allow women to enter their comps and women want to play in men’s comps and have their own comps. If a lady is an 8 handicapper off the red tees and 18 off the white tees what’s the problem just have white tees.
No.
Someone who drives it 180 yards won't enjoy golf where they can't reach any par 4 in 2 shots, can't reach par 5s in 3 and they have to hit a driver off par 3s.
A player who drives 270 doesn't want to play a very short course.

That is why there are different tees.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Most Ladies off the whites could not handle the length.
Most would not make the fairways on some holes.
So a big redesign of the course would be needed.
Men off the reds is to short and not a challenge. But some may like the shorter course.
There is a reason men and women don’t compete in most professional sports against each other.
Physically men are much stronger and would win most of the time.
That goes for amateur sports also. Inc golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Why would a good lady golfer off 8 want to put her hcap up 10 shots and play off a set off tees that are to long for her to enjoy her golf.
That just dosnt make sense.
True equality may say we should all use the same tees but common sense is needed.
What about older men who only drive it 100yds if they want to play competitive golf they must play of the whites at my club.
Most women I know don’t want to play in Saturday comps but a handful do while keeping their Tuesday comp women only.

Diamond

Interesting comments. It sounds like red tees are for anyone who can’t hit the ball as far rather than gender.
If this is the case again could you not classify a competition as red tees and white tees?

Just to confuse matters I played off yellow tees to get my handicap which doesn’t make sense if the handicap is for competitions and these competitions are played off white tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Interesting comments. It sounds like red tees are for anyone who can’t hit the ball as far rather than gender.
If this is the case again could you not classify a competition as red tees and white tees?

Just to confuse matters I played off yellow tees to get my handicap which doesn’t make sense if the handicap is for competitions and these competitions are played off white tees.
My course is quite a long one so I only play comps that are off the yellows. The club runs comps with trophies etc on a Sunday off the white tees but social comps on a Saturday off the yellows. That keeps my handicap active, everything is adjusted to take account of the different tees, and I get to enjoy playing in the comps. It is a good system imo.

Ask at your club. You never know, they may run some comps off the yellows and you are just not aware of it.

Incidentally, on your first point, I believe in many other countries they do talk about tees in the fashion you mention. Gender based tees are less of an issue, you just play off the tee colour that suits. I think our system, ingrained, is not healthy for the game.

GB72

Money List Winner
At my old club, most comps you could choose which tee you played off and your handicap was adjusted accordingly. You just let the pro know when signing in whether you wanted to play off whites or yellows.

Fish

Major Champion
At my old club, most comps you could choose which tee you played off and your handicap was adjusted accordingly. You just let the pro know when signing in whether you wanted to play off whites or yellows.
Why would your handicap be adjusted? That stays the same, only the SSS would be different between the yellow & whites.

GB72

Money List Winner
Why would your handicap be adjusted? That stays the same, only the SSS would be different between the yellow & whites.
No idea how it works, not something I look into in much detail I just put down the scores and hand the card in. Maybe that is right

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
No idea how it works, not something I look into in much detail I just put down the scores and hand the card in. Maybe that is right
On the card there should be a box to tick what colour tee you have played.
But you are correct you put your gross score in and sign it with your marker that’s it.

All our comps are off whites , ladies off red , no yellows .

GB72

Money List Winner
On the card there should be a box to tick what colour tee you have played.
But you are correct you put your gross score in and sign it with your marker that’s it.

All our comps are off whites , ladies off red , no yellows .
That is how it works, you declare what tee you want to use in the pro shop in advance and the pro fills in the card.

I like the idea. Golf is all about fun, some get that playing off the longest tees, some get that playing off something shorter and this allows them all to enjoy the course how they want. Personally would like to see the red tees added to that then you really could have an inclusive comp with everyone playing a course they enjoy. I know a few women who would love the challenge of playing off the white tees, more who would like a go off the yellows and a few men who would prefer to use the red tees as they just do not have the distance needed. For me, yellow tees are perfect as I am not a long hitter but also not too short and so I get most enjoyment from there. That said, I normally play the tee that the rest of my group is using for ease