Cheeky Scots

Thread starter #1

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Not only do they have better golf courses than us but now they've gone and beat us at cricket too.

Bet that was a good atmosphere at the end of the game!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Not only do they have better golf courses than us but now they've gone and beat us at cricket too.

Bet that was a good atmosphere at the end of the game!!!
I saw chunks of it. Strangely enough the crowd were very muted for large parts of the game but obviously sprung to life at the end. Well done Scotland. You could pick apart England's performance but that would be churlish. Hopefully it will give the game in Scotland a boost.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Yes, and Scotland only lost 5 of its defenders.;)

Being serious.....I think I heard someone say that England would have had to score the second best total in the history of one day cricket to defeat Scotland.
Great effort on their behalf to fall just short. Anyone who thinks that the team failed does not understand sport.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner

Being serious.....I think I heard someone say that England would have had to score the second best total in the history of one day cricket to defeat Scotland.
Great effort on their behalf to fall just short. Anyone who thinks that the team failed does not understand sport.

Doon I agree. It was a slightly artificial score as it was a small ground, for this level, and a flat pitch but Scotland did a great job with the bat. The pitch negated the English bowlers and the Scots batted superbly, particularly the guy who got the 100. The win then came out of scoreboard pressure. England were cruising at various points of the chase but threw it away repeatedly with brainless decisions. Those decisions would not have mattered if the score was 250 but it wasn't. Scotland held their nerve, were excellent and it was fabulous entertainment for the crowd.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Staff member
Cricket has been played in Scottish schools for as long as the 1970s at least. I played for Craigmount school against many other Schoo in Edinburgh as a kid.
played a lot longer than that, Highland Cricket was even going since the 20's and at least two Scots have Captained England in the past.

Mike Denness and Douglas Jardine

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Cricket has been played in Scottish schools for as long as the 1970s at least. I played for Craigmount school against many other Schoo in Edinburgh as a kid.
Well it was a joke, you know?

It wasn’t played at my school. My guess is that was the more common experience.

bobmac

Major Champion

The aim of the game is to try and score more runs than the opposition.
They failed.

My secondary school had a cricket team - and we were rather good - but then again we were good at everything :)

That said - if you were a cricketer you were viewed as a little bit odd. After football and rugby - hockey was the third team sport with cricket somewhere fourth. We did cricket in 'games' - but only on the playground with practice stumps and balls - and for most I think all that was got out of it was an understanding of what cricket stumps and a cricket bat looked like - and how to hold the bat. In 'games' we never once got to grass...:)

But cricket was always very popular outside of the cities - in the villages and small towns. My best pal at secondary school was in the cricket team - but then again he was from Lairg where he played the game at primary school.

BTW - following the 1967 model when we beat England the World Champions and so became Word Champions - does this victory over the ODI World Champions make Scotland the ODI World Champions until we are beaten :)

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
My secondary school had a cricket team - and we were rather good - but then again we were good at everything :)

That said - if you were a cricketer you were viewed as a little bit odd. After football and rugby - hockey was the third team sport with cricket somewhere fourth. We did cricket in 'games' - but only on the playground with practice stumps and balls - and for most I think all that was got out of it was an understanding of what cricket stumps and a cricket bat looked like - and how to hold the bat. In 'games' we never once got to grass...:)

But cricket was always very popular outside of the cities - in the villages and small towns. My best pal at secondary school was in the cricket team - but then again he was from Lairg where he played the game at primary school.

BTW - following the 1967 model when we beat England the World Champions and so became Word Champions - does this victory over the ODI World Champions make Scotland the ODI World Champions until we are beaten :)
England aren’t the World Champions :rolleyes:

For someone with such a keen eye for detail I would have thought you would check it out first

As for the match - it was a flat track intent on giving loads of runs , Scotland batted well , England started off batting well and then threw away wickets cheaply - well done Scotland , it was a good win for them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I applaud your approach :D. I am sure in the bars afterwards Scottish supporters saw their team as the new World no 1 ranked team. England are no 1 ranked, not world champs.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
I applaud your approach :D. I am sure in the bars afterwards Scottish supporters saw their team as the new World no 1 ranked team. England are no 1 ranked, not world champs.
I'm pretty sure that's how it works. And, conversely, England are now demoted to associate status and not allowed to play in the world cup ;)

England aren’t the World Champions :rolleyes:

For someone with such a keen eye for detail I would have thought you would check it out first

As for the match - it was a flat track intent on giving loads of runs , Scotland batted well , England started off batting well and then threw away wickets cheaply - well done Scotland , it was a good win for them
Shows how much I know about cricket ... but I am happy to big up England on the ODI front

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
My cricket career consisted of two house matches.....I was elected team captain on the strength that I captained the rugby team. [also smallest guy in both teams.]
We won the first match by some distance and we were well ahead in the second when I was sent orf.
Seemingly for not taking the match seriously enough

My cricket career consisted of two house matches.....I was elected team captain on the strength that I captained the rugby team. [also smallest guy in both teams.]
We won the first match by some distance and we were well ahead in the second when I was sent orf.
Seemingly for not taking the match seriously enough
Didn't hold a cricket bat in 'anger' until I was 25yrs old and living in Bristol. Inter-dept comp and team captain collared me to play with a 'do you bat or bowl' To which I replied 'I'm a goalie'. So he put me behind the stumps and over the years I became not a bad wicket-keeper. Could never bat - I didn't really know how to - could bowl a little - but being behind the stumps I never had to other than in 'everyone bowls' matches.