Can we hold a qualifier if we are using fairway mats?

Thread starter #3
Once the course reopens and restrictions are lifted (hopefully to avoid anymore clever responses)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Decision 1.a. Page 194 of the CONGU Manual, should you need the reference. For next winter, there will be a new manual for the WHS but I expect the rule will continue that scores from rounds using mats are acceptable.

Thread starter #5
Decision 1.a. Page 194 of the CONGU Manual, should you need the reference. For next winter, there will be a new manual for the WHS but I expect the rule will continue that scores from rounds using mats are acceptable.
The CONGU manual online only has 123 pages, can you please just say yes we can hold a qualifier or no we cant? Much appreciated

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
The CONGU manual online only has 123 pages, can you please just say yes we can hold a qualifier or no we cant? Much appreciated
Instead of asking a question and then moaning about the answer, you could always read the manual yourself to find the answer.
Tbh I thought his answer gave you full breadth of the answer:)

Thread starter #9
Instead of asking a question and then moaning about the answer, you could always read the manual yourself to find the answer.
Tbh I thought his answer gave you full breadth of the answer:)
I have read the manual but it isn’t clear. Hence the question

rulefan

Tour Winner
The correct answer is perhaps.
If restrictions are lifted after the preferred lies period has ended, then the answer is no. But wasn't the reference to the decision number sufficient to find it online?

As there are other limitations and for your further enlightenment it is on page 104 of the online version and says

Dec.1(a) Status of a competition when the use of fairway mats is obligatory (Revised)
Q.
May an Affiliated Club conduct a Qualifying Competition(s) when the use of fairway mats to protect the course is obligatory?
A. Yes, a club may run Qualifying Competition(s) under such conditions provided:
• their use is restricted to the preferred lie period (period as directed by the Union).
• all other requirements for Competition Play Conditions have been satisfied.
• a Local Rule for the use of fairway mats has been set out in the Terms of Competition.
• The mat is not to be used for strokes made with a putter.

The suggested wording is:
‘When a player’s ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less and a putter is not being used for the stroke, the ball must be lifted, placed on and played from an Astroturf, or similar type of, mat. The mat must be placed as near as possible to where the ball originally lay, and the ball must be placed on the mat. The ball may be cleaned when lifted.
If a ball when placed rolls off the mat, the player must try to place it a second time. If the ball again does not stay on the mat, the mat must be moved to the nearest spot, not nearer the hole, where the ball will come to rest on the mat when placed.
If the player accidentally causes the ball on the mat to move before a stroke is made, there is no penalty and the ball must be placed again on the mat.
If a tee is used to secure the mat into the ground, the ball must not be placed on the tee.’

The purpose of this decision is to help promote Qualifying Competitions whenever possible during the preferred lie period.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Missed out the yes. So yes, subject to conditions as elaborated in the manual but it would have helped had I given you the correct page number which is 104.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Or on permenantly (leatherjacket damage)
More likely to be the Chafer Fly grub.
On Monday it could be seen the amount of badger damage on some of the fairways was starting to become very significant due to the rules re chemicals for these.

Last year on one of the holes we nearly lost a whole section of fairway about 20 yards square. Annoyingly it is a dogleg hole and the damage was exactly where you want your ball to be as best position from the tee.

rulefan

Tour Winner
On Monday it could be seen the amount of badger damage on some of the fairways was starting to become very significant due to the rules re chemicals for these.

Last year on one of the holes we nearly lost a whole section of fairway about 20 yards square. Annoyingly it is a dogleg hole and the damage was exactly where you want your ball to be as best position from the tee.
I and my neighbours had a massive infection three years ago with many (but not me fortunately) losing their lawns. A friend who is a BA long haul pilot got a product from the US and it seemed to sort the grubs out. I now use nematodes and have been clear since

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I and my neighbours had a massive infection three years ago with many (but not me fortunately) losing their lawns. A friend who is a
BA long haul pilot got a product from the US and it seemed to sort the grubs out. I now use nematodes and have been clear since
Nice to see you went the organic route. There are still lots of products available in other countries but that is not the point- they have not banned the products like we have.

I was doing some research in to products after the current products for fuesarium were banned and some of the stories on the American websites about the what happened after using the alternatives eg pets dying after walking on the lawn, one of the available products killed everything in the bug world, made me realise just how careful we have to be.