Brexit - The negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might well be challenged but, equally, WTO rules allow for a gradual implementation(the very words used in the WTO text), and is deemed part of the "progressive liberalisation" of trade with WTO members. And if Gove used the words "gradual implementation," part of WTO's own docs, maybe he understands it better than you.
Maybe he does; maybe he knows more than Liz Truss; maybe Liz Truss spoke to Gove about her concerns; maybe she wasn't happy with what she heard from him; and maybe that's why she wrote to Gove and Sunak on her concerns.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Liz Truss letter to Sunak and Gove just Tory Project Fear? Amongst other concerns she warns that Gove's idea (I hesitate to call it a plan) for a gradual implementation of border controls with the EU after we leave the transition period on 31st December may well be subject to legal challenge from WTO member nations. That's the problem with trading as part of a larger group - they tend to have rules all members have to play to. And for the WTO the rules around MFN are very important.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

Who could have known :(

Cant we just up sticks and leave the WTO?? Trump seems to be pulling out of evertying, Paris, WHO, NATO etc.. why cant we just pull up the drawbridge and show two fingers to WTO. We will do what is right for us (and some offshore millionaires)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Its worrying that the Chancellor has been reading the Forum ! Well he seems to have taken on board the idea of more Freeports that a few of us discussed and recommended many months ago. ;);)

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Interesting living in Europe, and reading news from European countries on the progress of the negotiations. And one thing that is obvious in the last few years of doing so, the UK has never been close to being in the EU. Another thing that is a real difference is the news reporting I see, not just on the Brexit negotiations, but also on what's going on in Europe. And disappointingly, the very poor(deliberate?), lack of reporting from the Beeb on how the individual European countries perceive what the future relationship will look like - before anyone jumps in and says why should it show the individual country's position, its reported here.

A few examples, Barnier has publicly stated that ECJ rulings will not have a place in the future relationship, and that a different mechanism will be required to adjudicate differences. That the EU must accept the UK's position on fisheries. That the EU has been unable to wrest business from the City of London, and that the EU is unable to handle EU clearing, which will continue to see trillions of Euro's being cleared through London - rules have been amended to allow this to continue after year end.

And has the Beeb reported any of this? Plenty of negativity but a whole lot of what is happening isn't making it onto the Beeb's pages.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
I have just read that the cost of the UK leaving the EU nearly equates to that of the total amount of the UK's contributions to the EU from 1973 to 2020.
Surely that cannot be right.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
I have just read that the cost of the UK leaving the EU nearly equates to that of the total amount of the UK's contributions to the EU from 1973 to 2020.
Surely that cannot be right.
I would guess that it depends on what they are including as the "cost" of leaving the EU and whether it's based on actual or predicted costs and also over what timescale they are calculating it. For example, if they have said that tariffs will cost us £5 billion per year (figure plucked out of the air) for 50 years then there's £250 billion right there.

I would suggest that the actual cost of leaving isn't that high and is only our outstanding commitments with what we owe, which will be far less than our contributions over 47 years. If they're including other "costs" such as possible tariffs, reduction in GDP etc then they could quite easily make it add up to more.

Have you got a link to where you read it?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
I would guess that it depends on what they are including as the "cost" of leaving the EU and whether it's based on actual or predicted costs and also over what timescale they are calculating it. For example, if they have said that tariffs will cost us £5 billion per year (figure plucked out of the air) for 50 years then there's £250 billion right there.

I would suggest that the actual cost of leaving isn't that high and is only our outstanding commitments with what we owe, which will be far less than our contributions over 47 years. If they're including other "costs" such as possible tariffs, reduction in GDP etc then they could quite easily make it add up to more.

Have you got a link to where you read it?
1594712177586.png

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Would be interested to know how they have separated out the cost of Brexit from the cost of Covid19. I'm not sure that 2020 would have turned out to be a stellar year for economic growth even without Brexit.
Typical... you are letting facts get in the way of a good story...

As it has been repeated on this thread, the reality is 'we are/have LEFT, so we are going to take our ball and leave, everything is collateral damage'... the future is bright so bring your rose tinted sunglasses

Thread starter #539

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
WTO here we come.

“The EU insists not only that we must accept continuity with EU state aid & fisheries policy, but also that this must be agreed before any further substantive work can be done in any other area... including on legal texts. This makes it unnecessarily difficult to make progress."

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
WTO here we come.

“The EU insists not only that we must accept continuity with EU state aid & fisheries policy, but also that this must be agreed before any further substantive work can be done in any other area... including on legal texts. This makes it unnecessarily difficult to make progress."
No surprise to me, it was what the dodgy half of the Tory party played for all along.
Fasten your seat belts and your wallet straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.