Brexit - The negotiations.

I would agree wholeheartedly, but it'd be a cold, damp and lonely forum if that was applied to every thread ;-)
And even although the forum members are a non-representative sample of the electorate and our views will be a bit biased - we are still part of the electorate and politicians listen to the electorate (I think). I am sure that at least some of us do not keep our views exclusive to the forum :)

Thread starter #324

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
I see that Barnier is offering us an extension so !omg as we stump.up.some cash 😂

Dear Honourable and Right Honourable Members of Parliament,

Thank you for your letter of 15 May 2020. I remain keen on and interested in hearing the views of British political parties and stakeholders in order to appreciate all dimensions of the national debate.

The European Union remains determined to build a new and ambitious partnership with the United Kingdom in the short time that is available, given your government’s repeated statements that it will not agree to an extension of the transition period.

I take note of your views on a possible extension of the transition period. Such an extension of up to one or two years can be agreed jointly by the two parties. The European Union has always said that we remain open on this matter. Any extension decision has to be taken by the Joint Committee before 1 July, and must be accompanied by an agreement on a financial contribution by the United Kingdom.

Regardless of the extension issue, please rest assured that the EU side will continue to do its utmost to reach an ambitious and balanced partnership agreement with the United Kingdom, along the lines agreed with the Government of the United Kingdom in the Political Declaration in October 2019.

My team and I remain at your disposal for any further exchanges.

Yours sincerely,

drdel

Tour Rookie
I see that Barnier is offering us an extension so !omg as we stump.up.some cash 😂

Dear Honourable and Right Honourable Members of Parliament,

Thank you for your letter of 15 May 2020. I remain keen on and interested in hearing the views of British political parties and stakeholders in order to appreciate all dimensions of the national debate.

The European Union remains determined to build a new and ambitious partnership with the United Kingdom in the short time that is available, given your government’s repeated statements that it will not agree to an extension of the transition period.

I take note of your views on a possible extension of the transition period. Such an extension of up to one or two years can be agreed jointly by the two parties. The European Union has always said that we remain open on this matter. Any extension decision has to be taken by the Joint Committee before 1 July, and must be accompanied by an agreement on a financial contribution by the United Kingdom.

Regardless of the extension issue, please rest assured that the EU side will continue to do its utmost to reach an ambitious and balanced partnership agreement with the United Kingdom, along the lines agreed with the Government of the United Kingdom in the Political Declaration in October 2019.

My team and I remain at your disposal for any further exchanges.

Yours sincerely,
You failed to mention he only sent it to the Opposition, but did not include Labour (I think).

You failed to mention he only sent it to the Opposition, but did not include Labour (I think).
I’m guessing it was a reply to those who sent him the letter. And if Labour weren’t signatories to the letter then they wouldn't have been included in his reply.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
why cant the EU just let us go... we decided to leave, we go.. Simples. Dont they understand that we dont want any unelected people rule over us. We also dont want their cheap care workers or fruit pickers.
We are leaving and we are taking our ball with us. Thanks to Covid, we also have experience in handling a failing economy. <rant over>

bluewolf

Money List Winner
They want our cash , pure and simple.
To be fair, I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t want us for our sparkling wit and joyous personalities would they?

I really don’t see why people complain that Trade Partners want us for our money. What else would they want us for? Next thing people will be complaining about is Tesco and Asda not valuing us as individuals rather than walking wallets 😂

Today

BBC Politics to Nadhim Zahawi - the BBC have learnt from the boss of Nissan UK that the Sunderland plant is still under threat from a No Deal Brexit - is it - Yes or No?
Nadhim Zahawi to BBC Politics - I read what Nissan said about tariffs making Nissan UK uncompetitive - waffle, waffle, waffle - we are going to strain every sinew to make sure there is a deal waffle waffle...

So the answer is. Nissan are posturing as they prefer no tariffs...but Yes - there remains a risk that leaving without a deal and moving to trade under WTO rules will make Nissan UK uncompetitive and put their UK operation at risk.

:(

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
The EU want 'us' to pay 'our' share of what we already owe and for stuff we have signed up to.
Bit of a two sided situation I think.

What you suggest would be the same as Scotland to 'just leave' the Union, refusing to pay 'our' share of the massive debt that successive UK Governments has built up.
Somehow I do not think you would be too happy with that. ;)

Looks like a No Deal scenario will result as that is what the Tories want.
Great :( that causes significant harm to both parties.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Ah, you answer a response to your point, with reference to a different issue. Not sure how that leaves it, but it does put me in mind of the Two Ronnies sketch where the Mastermind contestant gives the answer to the preceding question.

chrisd

Major Champion
The EU want 'us' to pay 'our' share of what we already owe and for stuff we have signed up to.
Bit of a two sided situation I think.

What you suggest would be the same as Scotland to 'just leave' the Union, refusing to pay 'our' share of the massive debt that successive UK Governments has built up.
Somehow I do not think you would be too happy with that. ;)

Looks like a No Deal scenario will result as that is what the Tories want.
Great :( that causes significant harm to both parties.
I disagree, I think the Tories do really want a free trade deal akin to the Canada deal and would sign up to that, the EU want an unattainable agreement - fisheries, level playing field, ECJ etc etc that is no way returning us to a sovereign state. Even the EU their court is now subservient to the German court, and will be so to all the EU members courts, if the Germany case is not quashed. The EU is asking for us to accept amuch worse deal than they agreed with Canada and Japan, we have to walk away with no deal if the EU fail to agree a deal that is in our interests