Brexit - or Article 50: the Phoenix!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
seeing how cotton weaving, coal mining, steel and other industries across the generation had to be subsidised or have gone to the wall after privatisation.. i don’t hold much hope for farming.
Ofcourse one of the reasons may have nothing to do with Brexit - climate change
The E U has been subsidising farming since its beginning. The CAP Is a massive part of EU spending if not the biggest.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Or, from another viewpoint, just about the only person that is actually fulfilling the role he has. He has obviously made a decision you don't like. That doesn't make it wrong.
If by breaking procedure rules and being a bully is fulfilling his role then who am I to complain. Whether I like or dislike his decision is something I, or it appears, anyone else can do anything about.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Looks like, with the Mann amendment, we will permanently align our environmental and employment rules with those from the EU.

Rees-Mogg is reported to be furious that he won't be able send kids down chimneys like they did in his day.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Looks like, with the Mann amendment, we will permanently align our environmental and employment rules with those from the EU.

Rees-Mogg is reported to be furious that he won't be able send kids down chimneys like they did in his day.
That's a big relief for those in the banana bending industry.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Out of curiosity.. do the Corbinites think they can get a new deal from the EU?
Like a different version of Maybot, his standard response is ‘General Election’ .. so he can negotiate.

May should get open a cross party negotiation team, get some of the Corbyns noise makers along with the likes of Rees Moggs and BoJo .. then we see what comes out of Best of Britain in ‘Strictly come Negotiation’

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Out of curiosity.. do the Corbinites think they can get a new deal from the EU?
Like a different version of Maybot, his standard response is ‘General Election’ .. so he can negotiate.

May should get open a cross party negotiation team, get some of the Corbyns noise makers along with the likes of Rees Moggs and BoJo .. then we see what comes out of Best of Britain in ‘Strictly come Negotiation’
Not 100% sure if there are any Corbynites on here, but a someone who is probably more favourable to labour's policies than some others, I'd say he hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell before March 29th. if they delay Article 50 then who knows, but I doubt it will be any more favourable to the UK than the one we currently have.

It's clear he is using this as a opportunity to further his political career. But then again it amuses me when Tory supporters accuse him of this, ignoring the fact that that's exactly what most of the Tory party have been doing since day 1.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Genuine question to the educated few on here.
How are British Farmers going to operate successfully after a No Deal Brexit?

They'll have no EU subsidies. They'll have a huge new competitor on their doorstep. They won't be able to compete financially due to the harsher growing conditions in the U.K.

All I can foresee is a spiralling cycle of government subsidies allowing them to compete, or a huge number going to the wall as they will never be able to compete.

I trust there's someone on here who can show me how this will be solved without the need to significantly increase food prices.
Golfing buddy yesterday mentioned being close friends with Chair of local branch of NFU - and he and the NFU in general are desperately worried about what a No Deal would mean for farmers. Yes- just the 'word of mouth' view of one individual close to farmers - though I suppose he could be deemed an expert on what is important to farmers in all of the Brexit shenanigans.

Who'd have guessed that the UK operating on WTO rules might be an issue for farmers or that any tariff free arrangement under a new trade deal with whoever might cause farmers concerns.

Ah - I know - Patrick Minford (he who is the beloved by some) knows. Unilaterally get rid of trade barriers and tariffs and UK manufacturing might as well look to shut down - and what applies to manufacturing applies equally to agriculture...

So maybe the NFU are right to be very worried for their members and UK agriculture in general.

But I mustn't worry as IDS, Johnson, RM and the ERG et al tell me all will be OK...it's all Project Fear.

BTW - I go to my GP and he tells me I need to lose weight as I am carrying around a heart attack. I might call him out for spinning a project fear on me, and I continue on my merry way. Not much good regretting doing that if a heart attack kills me - rather late to be reflecting on the fact that he was right and I should have listened :(

And this helps how exactly? I'm a Remainer and this post annoys even me.
Did you spot the smiley? :)

In truth though, I can go with staying in the EU to work to change things to the benefit of the UK, rather than just quitting the fight and walking away - which is what we seem to be doing.

Thread starter #3,875

drdel

Tour Rookie
Did you spot the smiley? :)

In truth though, I can go with staying in the EU to work to change things to the benefit of the UK, rather than just quitting the fight and walking away - which is what we seem to be doing.
The UK has been a fair and equitable player in the EU - we implement directives (unlike others who pick and choose). You might note the 100m sweetner the Slovakian state is 'donating' to JLR! The UK has tried to change the EU from within for decades and got nowhere - why would they suddenly start to listen.

You want to remain for the benefit of young people ! Have you seen the state of their economies, unemployment and social cohesion in the member states. States which will want the UK to keep subsidising at an ever increasing (in real terms) rate.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
😂😂😂
Anonymous civil servant writing for Brexit Central. Forget everything else you've heard, this is guaranteed to be 100% authentic! 😂

When you have dabbed away all those laughter tears could you point out to us what parts of this article is a lie? Or is it just the "source" that's amusing?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Golfing buddy yesterday mentioned being close friends with Chair of local branch of NFU - and he and the NFU in general are desperately worried about what a No Deal would mean for farmers. Yes- just the 'word of mouth' view of one individual close to farmers - though I suppose he could be deemed an expert on what is important to farmers in all of the Brexit shenanigans.

Who'd have guessed that the UK operating on WTO rules might be an issue for farmers or that any tariff free arrangement under a new trade deal with whoever might cause farmers concerns.

Ah - I know - Patrick Minford (he who is the beloved by some) knows. Unilaterally get rid of trade barriers and tariffs and UK manufacturing might as well look to shut down - and what applies to manufacturing applies equally to agriculture...

So maybe the NFU are right to be very worried for their members and UK agriculture in general.

But I mustn't worry as IDS, Johnson, RM and the ERG et al tell me all will be OK...it's all Project Fear.

BTW - I go to my GP and he tells me I need to lose weight as I am carrying around a heart attack. I might call him out for spinning a project fear on me, and I continue on my merry way. Not much good regretting doing that if a heart attack kills me - rather late to be reflecting on the fact that he was right and I should have listened :(
Give it a rest man, we all know what hatred you are carrying around. Its not good for you.🙄

bluewolf

Money List Winner
When you have dabbed away all those laughter tears could you point out to us what parts of this article is a lie? Or is it just the "source" that's amusing?
there are no relevant facts in the article. It's just an anonymous source interpreting random data in a way that best suits the preferred output of the media source.. I may as well point to a Remain media site that quotes an anonymous civil servant stating that Brexit will make elephants extinct, deck over the Channel and pave everyone's gardens to reflect sunlight and restrict global warming.. It's pointless, meaningless, nothingness.. It proves nothing and just serves to provide confirmation bias clickbait.