Boris the PM - a new beginning

patricks148

Global Moderator
Staff member
Botham has done sterling work via his charitable efforts, speaks well about them if you hear him speaking on the subject. . He has also been involved at Durham CC in recent times helping them out of their financial troubles. I'm hoping that he has been elevated to use his experience there rather than other areas. I believe he is sitting as a cross benchers/ independent so the signs are good.

I'd abolish the Lords, at the minimum I'd halve the number in it. I'd certainly remove the title element as there are significant numbers with titles of respect that deserve no respect at all. I deeply resent the inept people that are called Lord or Baroness, it pains me.
i think Boris and Beefy have a bit an affinity of sorts, both serial adulterers

you are right about the HOL being cut back or got rid of full stop.. just another gravy train no matter who is in power

I believe that the 'confusion/attitiude' goes back to the mid 19th century when such as some Scottish banks, railways, printing and other big business moved HQ to London - and a lot of the wealthier and more educated Scots tended to head down there - eschewing Scotland. And as they saw the workings of the Old School Tie as it worked in London, so the sons of the wealthy still at home were sent south of the border for the education and took on English thinking and the low-esteem attitude to Scotland that was by then prevalent in the South.

As a result there was an anglicisation of the Scottish governing class that was mimicked in anglo-snobbery by the wealthy middle-class. And where they should have been leading in culture they weren't. The glory of that which is gaelic song, literature and poetry was suppressed - almost to extinction. And around that time in much of the population the sense of Scottishness through Scots culture faded - see how little output there was from Scotland in the Poetry, Literature (Burns gone 40yrs and post-Scott) and Architecture (Charles who?) in the mid-late 19th Century. Artists there were but they had to go to England to flourish due to lack of home patrons. There was little new Scottish culture for the majority at home to appreciate - wheres previously there had been widespread education and appreciation of Scots culture.

And for many of the wealthy in England, their Scottishness became something they tended to avoid - use of the Scots tongue was avoided at all costs with preference being English - and the very distinctive Scottish culture all but vanished - and in the minds of many in England, Scotland simply became part of a greater England. Which is what the English Kings and governments had sought for centuries in any case - and what 1707, by the mid-19thC, had pretty much succeeded in doing. And so - come about 1900 - whilst the Scottish Royal Standard might still be seen flown - the Scottish National Flag (the Saltire) had been all but forgotten and had disappeared from sight and indeed from recognition.

It's taken a good while for the uniqueness of Scottish culture to be rejuvenated and thrive - and the appreciation amongst the populace of a distinctive Scottish culture - one very different from that of England - has developed in many...which is perhaps why we today find Sturgeon standing, and having a standing, as she does.

Scotland just an adjunct of England? Well - in many ways we have to blame Victorian Scots for that...

Last edited:

Foxholer

Major Champion
Except UK MPs develop policy and are accountable. EU MEPs are presented with options selected by unelected Brussels directorates who are not accountable.
Not in the same way, but their policies must be approved/CAN be challenged, and even changed, by the Council of the EU - which is made up of reps from each member country, each of whom must be a Minister or Secretary of State in their government.

Now that we have left, there's no need to continue the falsehood of 'NO accountability', though the accountability is certainly less 'direct'. It's a different system, just as (say) the US one is different!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...cabinet-meetings-ft/ar-BB17OeFK?ocid=msedgdhp

Scaredy cat.:love:

Yesterday's ill advised 'better together' plea from Johnson lasted as long as Cameron's Vow.:eek:
Not that long ago that there wasn't representation in the Westminster Cabinet specifically for Scotland.

Before 1885 Scotland affairs were the responsibility of the Westminster Home Office. From 1885 to 1926 the (newly created) Scottish Secretary wasn't a cabinet position - he was tucked away behind a door in Westminster with little authority and largely ignored. Only in 1926 was there a cabinet position for the Secretary of State for Scotland created - coming about following Irish independence and as as a result of rise of nationalist and home rule feelings and agitation that led to the forming of the Scottish Nationalist Party in 1928 (which later merged with another nationalist party to form the SNP).

So Westminster government not wanting or feeling the need to have Scottish representation at the 'top table' is nothing new.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Not that long ago that there wasn't representation in the Westminster Cabinet specifically for Scotland.

Before 1885 Scotland affairs were the responsibility of the Westminster Home Office. From 1885 to 1926 the (newly created) Scottish Secretary wasn't a cabinet position - he was tucked away behind a door in Westminster with little authority and largely ignored. Only in 1926 was there a cabinet position for the Secretary of State for Scotland created - coming about following Irish independence and as as a result of rise of nationalist and home rule feelings and agitation that led to the forming of the Scottish Nationalist Party in 1928 (which later merged with another nationalist party to form the SNP).

So Westminster government not wanting or feeling the need to have Scottish representation at the 'top table' is nothing new.
Was their a point to be made in that or was it a primer to take a Scotish knee?

Was their a point to be made in that or was it a primer to take a Scotish knee?
Just a wee bit of history in case anyone thought that ignoring the Scots was something new...that today's nationalism is a relatively recent thing - and that today's complaints about the role of Westminster in Scotland's affairs is just Sturgeon stirring it. It's not. The complaints of many Scots, and Westminster's keenness to keep Scottish representation away from the 'top table', are nothing new. In fact this stuff went back to not long after 1707.

Don't understand the link to a Scottish knee - whatever that is.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Just a wee bit of history in case anyone thought that ignoring the Scots was something new...that today's nationalism is a relatively recent thing - and that today's complaints about the role of Westminster in Scotland's affairs is just Sturgeon stirring it. It's not. The complaints of many Scots, and Westminster's keenness to keep Scottish representation away from the 'top table', are nothing new. In fact this stuff went back to not long after 1707.

Don't understand the link to a Scottish knee - whatever that is.
Tony Blair - Scottish.
Gordon Brown - Scottish.
Alaister Darling - Scottish parents, and an MP in Westminster for....Edinburgh(?).
Michael Gove - Scottish.

I doesn't matter who sits where at any given time, there will always be the "woe is me" coming from Scotland about Westminster representation.