Boris the PM - a new beginning

I despair of Trump as much as anyone on here.

However, your explanation does nothing more than confirm your double standards.

You are no more qualified to comment on Trump's deficiencies than you are on Sturgeon but what is good for the goose is equally good for the gender.

Or are you simply afraid of upsetting DfT.
Sorry - I don't get the double standards. I can only see Trump and Sturgeon on TV - I can only watch and listen to what they say in briefings; in US cabinet meetings; in the Scottish Parliament etc. I cannot make any judgement on the quality their government or of those working in government for Trump or Sturgeon and I don't. But I can make observations on what I hear from Trump and Sturgeon - and whatever I might think of what I hear from Sturgeon, she does not spout blatant lies and bile at all and sundry who oppose or crticise her - others might - she doesn't. But Trump does - blatantly and seemingly without shame (apparently Trump's blatant lie count since inauguration is currently over 17,000).

And so back to Johnson and the government - my 'sense' from the briefings is that there is not a massive amount of high quality politician beyond the principal officers of state (indeed that may well apply for Sturgeon's top flight - we don't get to see and hear them). That might not matter too much were Johnson providing the leadership that delegation requires, but again I am not sensing too much of that in his briefings and performances in PMQs. Anyway...we have the government we voted for and which we are stuck with for four plus years to come. And that's just how it is and so I must simple 'suck it up'.

Sorry - I don't get the double standards. I can only see Trump and Sturgeon on TV - I can only watch and listen to what they say in briefings; in US cabinet meetings; in the Scottish Parliament etc. I cannot make any judgement on the quality their government or of those working in government for Trump or Sturgeon and I don't. But I can make observations on what I hear from Trump and Sturgeon - and whatever I might think of what I hear from Sturgeon, she does not spout blatant lies and bile at all and sundry who oppose or crticise her - others might - she doesn't. But Trump does - blatantly and seemingly without shame (apparently Trump's blatant lie count since inauguration is currently over 17,000).

And so back to Johnson and the government - my 'sense' from the briefings is that there is not a massive amount of high quality politician beyond the principal officers of state (indeed that may well apply for Sturgeon's top flight - we don't get to see and hear them). That might not matter too much were Johnson providing the leadership that delegation requires, but again I am not sensing too much of that in his briefings and performances in PMQs. Anyway...we have the government we voted for and which we are stuck with for four plus years to come. And that's just how it is and so I must simple 'suck it up'.
Perhaps best to just try a period of "No comment" then.

Can't be accused of double standards that way.

As for PMQ"s the overall consensus seems to be that this week's episode resulted in a victory for Johnson as Starmer was guilty of lack of research and, thus, killer questions.

Early days for complacency on his part I would have thought.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Perhaps best to just try a period of "No comment" then.

Can't be accused of double standards that way.

As for PMQ"s the overall consensus seems to be that this week's episode resulted in a victory for Johnson as Starmer was guilty of lack of research and, thus, killer questions.

Early days for complacency on his part I would have thought.
Was that the one where he attempted to defend the NHS surcharge on NHS workers from overseas, only to cave in on it 24 hours later?

The account I read said he had obviously done some prep for a change, and the result was better than the last 2 humiliating knockouts, but was still overwhelmingly beaten on points.

I guess we don't read the same newspapers.

Kaz

Was that the one where he attempted to defend the NHS surcharge on NHS workers from overseas, only to cave in on it 24 hours later?

The account I read said he had obviously done some prep for a change, and the result was better than the last 2 humiliating knockouts, but was still overwhelmingly beaten on points.

I read something that went along the lines of "if he can get results like this when he supposedly loses PMQs....."

I read several.

Like many others I am no Boris fanboy and my comment is in fact directed at Starmer.

After two excellent performances at PMQ's I felt he clearly came across this week as complacent and smug.

The nature of Johnson's performance definitely flustered him as his follow ups showed

This is often a problem for those from a courtroom background. They tend to anticipate the reply and can get confused when the witness goes off script.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Am increasingly wondering how deliberate Bojos continually absence is. Am prepared to cut him some slack as he was struck down with it. Then there was the birth of his 5th/6th/7th child (delete as appropriate). But it's as if he wants to distance himself from our, at very best, distinctly average response to this crisis.

Still, as soon as the R number is rapidly going down and we finally have caught up with many other countries with regard to test, track and trace, I'm sure he'll be back.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Hmmm
Am increasingly wondering how deliberate Bojos continually absence is. Am prepared to cut him some slack as he was struck down with it. Then there was the birth of his 5th/6th/7th child (delete as appropriate). But it's as if he wants to distance himself from our, at very best, distinctly average response to this crisis.

Still, as soon as the R number is rapidly going down and we finally have caught up with many other countries with regard to test, track and trace, I'm sure he'll be back.
Hmmm. I'm not sure. At that point there will be several million unemployed and the realisation that our economy might take years to get functioning again.
Not a particular good news message he'll be wanting to associate himself with.
Given that the cabinet has shown itself to be as underwhelming as expected, I am curious who will be next cab on the rank. Gove? Someone currently exiled to the back benches?