Boris the PM - a new beginning

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
No I didn't Brian - I simply said that I didn't know him.

As the cabinet comprises the PM plus 21 ministers, and given he has a lower profile than many and not sure he has done a briefing previously, I suggest it is not completely unfair to suggest that he is a member of the 2nd Eleven - but OK - on this occasion he got a run-out for the 1st Eleven :) And I thought he made a reasonable fist of his opportunity.
Really, simply said? Have a read back of your post, specifically the fealty comment.

As for sacking previous ministers, every manager/director/CEO/MD, and PM “builds” their own team around them. It’s as natural a consequence as breathing. It’s called “forming, storming, norming and reforming.” Why would any manager do any differently, why butt heads when you want to get things done? And it’s not about yes men, it’s about like minded men.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Indeed. I would prefer to have one of Sunak, Hancock or the PM for each briefing. Maybe we need to see Rees-Mogg taking his turn.
I’d much prefer a senior Cabinet Member but accept that sometimes some of them are busy, e.g. the PM and Hancock were at PMQ’s yesterday.

No sign of Priti since her last briefing a while back

As an aside, did you see the Speaker give Hancock a good slap down, basically saying shut up or leave the house?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Looks like Johnson is working today as I hear he has rejected calls to cancel the NHS charge immigrants working in the health and care sector have to pay. And notwithstanding calls from conservatives that increases in tax to help pay for the coronavirus payments should be avoided - it seems to be OK to increase what is essentially a tax when the NHS charge is increased later this year. Neat. Well I shall be applauding with a clear conscience this evening.

But 'nice' that the government has now U-turned and decided that families of the lower paid immigrant workers in the NHS who die as a result of coronavirus can have indefinite leave to stay in the UK. That our government ever thought that such a policy was anything but dubious makes you wonder - but I am afraid I wonder not a lot.
So pragmatically, in foreign policy where would you draw the line that is fair and manageable:- Oxford researchers, Asta Zenica, Army, etc etc all people putting their shoulders to the wheel to support the NHS. Perhaps not in hospitals/Care Homes but never-the-less the whole 'chain' needs to function for the 'front end' to work.

Policy and regulation based on emotion and kneejerk reactions are rarely prudent.

So pragmatically, in foreign policy where would you draw the line that is fair and manageable:- Oxford researchers, Asta Zenica, Army, etc etc all people putting their shoulders to the wheel to support the NHS. Perhaps not in hospitals/Care Homes but never-the-less the whole 'chain' needs to function for the 'front end' to work.

Policy and regulation based on emotion and kneejerk reactions are rarely prudent.
Do they work in the UK and do they pay tax and NI? And the proposed increase which will make the charge for many on the minimum wage equivalent to about 2 weeks work.

Government will be cursing the Syrian guy working as a porter who posted a video about the differentiation over a families right of residency after a death in service NHS/Care between the poorest paid in the NHS/Care and those earning a bit more. I suppose this does chime with Patel's immigration policy 'minimum income requirement'

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
The caretaker? Careful now - I got criticised for suggesting that we were getting ministers from the 2nd 11.🙄 Though to be fair, as he was new to me he didn’t come with the dissembling baggage most come with and so I was able to listen to him (nearly) without any great prejudice 😊
You were asked why you thought the professor and the minister was second team - something you still have refused to answer.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
One might try but I suspect that some here would struggle to listen without prejudice to such as McCluskey, Sturgeon, Abbott or Corbyn...just saying :)
Maybe there is so little talent in the SNP she has to be the main front man. Although unless the count on her appearances was before the weekend it's wrong as on several occasions I believe the health minister has stepped in on a couple of occasions and I haven't watched every one of scotlands briefs.

Kaz

Maybe there is so little talent in the SNP she has to be the main front man. Although unless the count on her appearances was before the weekend it's wrong as on several occasions I believe the health minister has stepped in on a couple of occasions and I haven't watched every one of scotlands briefs.
There's some truth in this, I think.

You were asked why you thought the professor and the minister was second team - something you still have refused to answer.
Quite simply - I prefer Prof Van-Tam; Dame Angela Mclean and Prof Jenny Harries as all three tend to say it more 'as it is' compared with Stephen Powis - and I prefer that - I think they do it better than Powis. And I think I've explained why I suggested that Dowden might not be a member of the Cabinet '1st Team'. Kind of obvious really as I am not aware that he has done very many briefings in seven weeks - then again neither has the PM.

Maybe they keep Johnson away from doing the briefings as much as possible as his advisors don't want him to be held accountable for something he might say (deliberately or by mistake) at a briefing - easy game to play that :)

It's a view held in the US where sensible Republicans were wishing that Trump would just stop leading the briefings - well that rather happened as they basically stopped doing them...

Anyway - good to see Johnson changing his mind under pressure from Starmer and the Daily Mail on the NHS charge immigrants working in the NHS were having to pay.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...revolt-NHS-charge-foreign-health-workers.html

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Maybe they keep Johnson away from doing the briefings as much as possible as his advisors don't want him to be held accountable for something he might say (deliberately or by mistake) at a briefing - easy game to play that :)

It's a view held in the US where sensible Republicans were wishing that Trump would just stop leading the briefings - well that rather happened as they basically stopped doing them...
You reply to a comment about the possibility of lack of talent in the SNP and you go on about the PM, I presume then you have nothing to say about the SNPs lack of talent.

Tell me what qualifications you have to question the good professor and his qualifications and gives you the knowledge to put him in the second team. Your preferences shouldn't come into it when it comes to ability.

patricks148

Ryder Cup Winner
You reply to a comment about the possibility of lack of talent in the SNP and you go on about the PM, I presume then you have nothing to say about the SNPs lack of talent.

Tell me what qualifications you have to question the good professor and his qualifications and gives you the knowledge to put him in the second team. Your preferences shouldn't come into it when it comes to ability.
you might be right about the lack of talent in the SNP, but to give Nicola her due she speaks well and the big advantage she has over Boris is she appears to be able to read a pre prep speech or auto que and as yet not prom things she can't deliver or don't even exist;)

This is a thread about Johnson. And of course I am not assessing the qualifications of anyone. Just mentioning my favourites (not forgetting - which I did - Prof Whitty). In the same way as I have my idea of the best and my favourite professional golfers though I have absolutely no qualifications for making such assessments.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
you might be right about the lack of talent in the SNP, but to give Nicola her due she speaks well and the big advantage she has over Boris is she appears to be able to read a pre prep speech or auto que and as yet not prom things she can't deliver or don't even exist;)
I have said all along she has conducted herself well in her briefings. Not sure she has promised anything yet. Shes outlined a plan with no specific detail (just like PM did), the difference being , the PM was jumped all over.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
This is a thread about Johnson. And of course I am not assessing the qualifications of anyone. Just mentioning my favourites (not forgetting - which I did - Prof Whitty). In the same way as I have my idea of the best and my favourite professional golfers though I have absolutely no qualifications for making such assessments.
Your remark suggested he had a lack of ability.

So your defence of the SNPs lack of ability is that this is a Johnson thread. One to remember.

Kaz

I have said all along she has conducted herself well in her briefings. Not sure she has promised anything yet. Shes outlined a plan with no specific detail (just like PM did), the difference being , the PM was jumped all over.
I think that might be partly because he is so bumbling and unconvincing. He always seems to be winging it to an extent without a proper grasp of the detail. Sturgeon's more polished public persona might be getting her more leeway? Just speculating.

patricks148

Ryder Cup Winner
i supect she's not been jumped over because nothing to be anounced till next thursday so no one can accuse her of jumping the gun.

no one is any the wiser other than there might be some easing

Your remark suggested he had a lack of ability.

So your defence of the SNPs lack of ability is that this is a Johnson thread. One to remember.
I have no idea of the capability of the SNP government much wider than the First Minister's Briefings as I do not live in Scotland under an SNP government, and so cannot comment on whether they are pretty good or quite rubbish.

I have no idea of the capability of the SNP government much wider than the First Minister's Briefings as I do not live in Scotland under an SNP government, and so cannot comment on whether they are pretty good or quite rubbish.
Truly you have surpassed yourself!

You cannot comment on Ms Sturgeon and her party's performance as you do not live in Scotland.

Yet you seem quite content to regularly attack and denounce the President of the United States.

Did I miss something, have you moved from Surrey to St Louis?

Truly you have surpassed yourself!

You cannot comment on Ms Sturgeon and her party's performance as you do not live in Scotland.

Yet you seem quite content to regularly attack and denounce the President of the United States.

Did I miss something, have you moved from Surrey to St Louis?
As I can watch and listen to the First Minister lead Scottish Coronavirus briefings - I can watch and listen to Trump as he leads briefings and cabinet meetings - and simply on the basis of these briefings and meetings it is very apparent that he is an vile imbecile. I have no idea what his GoP government is like and, as for the SNP, I cannot and do not comment on whether they are competent or not.