Boris the PM - a new beginning

I couldn't care if Kermit the Frog was in No.10 so long as we leave the EU on 31st October with or without a deal. And there is more chance of it happening with Boris as PM than anyone else. So good for him.
I'm curious. How far do you go with that?

Would a Love Island contestant do? Someone who thinks the earth is flat? Mussolini? Hitler?

Surely, there are other things politically you care about other than leaving the EU by the end of October?

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
I'm curious. How far do you go with that?

Would a Love Island contestant do? Someone who thinks the earth is flat? Mussolini? Hitler?

Surely, there are other things politically you care about other than leaving the EU by the end of October?
To be fair to PS this is how an awful lot of people are thinking - happens with a close run referendum with a result that is supposed to be long term (as opposed to a 5 year GE term), with the winners denied and the losers frustrated, no common ground with a binary choice (that was not in reality a binary choice), so no closure, then acrimony and anger, almost like civil war mindsets, people get dug in and blinkered in their views.
Leaving the EU will make no positive difference to the man in the street imo but that's now by the by, detail doesn't matter, as long as we leave and that's how Johnson has won the leadership race by playing on that. I'm waiting for the u-turns/backtracking from him soon enough when he likely can't leave by Halloweeen.

We've had it double up here with the Indyref before the EU in/out ref. Neither issue is near resolution as a great many folks are so polarised in their views.

I can't see any short or medium term resolution to either issue.

Yet although everyone says they're fed up with politics/politicians and Brexit and Indyref2 etc etc the issues will not go away.
UK is struggling, something will have to give.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
I would assume that you have direct knowledge of working with BJ that enabled you to make these statements and personal digs.

I have undertaken a few projects that involved BJ and would disagree with your assessment. You might reflect on the good reports from numerousFMs of other nations.

Let's hope we have a few ratonal people around.
Not hearing many 'good' reports to be honest.
The ones that are seem to be coming from people who have previously said he was an idiot and that they would never work with him... like the Scottish Secretary. :love:

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
What a cop out 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have posted many hundreds even thousands of times in the golf threads but find many of them talking about the same old thing, bit like you on here.

I play golf at a good level, I am a member of two very good golf clubs. If you would like a lesson then please pop over, if you want to know anything about the golf swing I am sure I can put you right.
Heres one I posted recently:
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/ball-flight-laws-who-knows.101688/#post-2005765
Cop out from what ?!

You posted your normal snide derogatory post towards someone who shares an opinion you don’t agree with. It’s your normal mode of operation.

So Boris is PM, finally his life's ambition. However he certainly didn't want it in this way.

Boris has made some bold claims to secure the premiership - ultimately the boldest of guaranteeing EU exit by 31st October and being so utterly confident about renegotiating the withdrawal agreement - that he was able to secure the backing of so many gullible MPs, as well as party members. With the 'we'll leave with No deal' being sufficiently brexity enough to win over the ERG and most of the party members.

Ultimately the withdrawal agreement is not going to change and more importantly parliament is not going to allow a NO deal brexit to proceed. So by the end of October, his authority will be in tatters as likely parliament will legislate to appeal to the EU for an extension. Probably after Boris has asked them to vote on the Withdrawal Agreement for a 4th time.

A general election is still a possibility but it would mean a number of Tories voting down their own government - which realistically means they will not be able to stand for re-election as a Conservative. Possibly there are a handful of Tories who would do that - but I think this is extremely unlikely that they would hand such an opportunity to Labour and the Lib Dems to win.

I personally feel a General Election is not a solution. What we will get during a campaign is more of the same - people promising things that rely on EU support and so won't be able to be delivered. And then people extrapolating from the results that people voted for x, y or z. Also very unlikely we will end up with an even more fractured parliament with no majority for a PM, never mind a brexit solution.

The solution is another referendum with single transferable vote and putting 3 real solutions onto the ballot - Leave with WA, leave with No Deal and remain. This means people could rank their preferences in order with the least popular option being eliminated and the 2nd preferences finding a majority for something, which parliament would then be obliged to support. And it would throw proper light on the fact that Brexiteers want all manner of different things, many of which amount to having their cake and eating it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Ultimately the withdrawal agreement is not going to change and more importantly parliament is not going to allow a NO deal brexit to proceed.
Let's get one thing correct first, some parties will vote against a deal irrespective of what the deal contains.
Boris could potentially come back with an amazing deal (he wont but for arguments sake let's say he does). Certain parties will vote it down purely with a view to gain power.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Who has chosen Boris? THE PEOPLE
Who has chosen Corbin? THE PEOPLE

If things go as badly for the Cons under Boris as Labour seems to be going under Corbin, then maybe THE PEOPLE will never get a say again.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Let's get one thing correct first, some parties will vote against a deal irrespective of what the deal contains.
Boris could potentially come back with an amazing deal (he wont but for arguments sake let's say he does). Certain parties will vote it down purely with a view to gain power.
The ONLY way BJ will get Brexit through will be to shut down parliament.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Remember when he used to guest-host Have I Got News For You? I actually quite liked him then, when he was just a harmless bumbling clown. I doubt many people ever dreamed back then he'd one day become PM. I don't like him quite so much now he's a potentially very harmful bumbling clown. :(

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Remember when he used to guest-host Have I Got News For You? I actually quite liked him then, when he was just a harmless bumbling clown. I doubt many people ever dreamed back then he'd one day become PM. I don't like him quite so much now he's a potentially very harmful bumbling clown. :(
He shouldn't be able to be too harmful given the numbers in The Commons and with numerous of his own MPs dubious about him. He showed Cameron and May no loyalty so should expect little for himself.
Parliamentary democracy may be frustrating at times but at least it's a safeguard from any BJ nonsense along with House of Lords and The Monarch.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
He shouldn't be able to be too harmful given the numbers in The Commons and with numerous of his own MPs dubious about him. He showed Cameron and May no loyalty so should expect little for himself.
Parliamentary democracy may be frustrating at times but at least it's a safeguard from any BJ nonsense along with House of Lords and The Monarch.
He has detractors amongst the Tory MP's but don't forget, they overwhelmingly voted him number 1 before the 160,000 party members were given their vote.

As for not having a Commons majority, I agree he can't do too much damage but what happens if by magic he brings back a decent deal? Labour have said they will not vote for any Tory deal. Who's doing the damage then?

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
He has detractors amongst the Tory MP's but don't forget, they overwhelmingly voted him number 1 before the 160,000 party members were given their vote.

As for not having a Commons majority, I agree he can't do too much damage but what happens if by magic he brings back a decent deal? Labour have said they will not vote for any Tory deal. Who's doing the damage then?
The official Labour position is not necessarily how many Labour MPs will vote, they'll likely rebel if Boris did wangle something acceptable. Most can't be bothered with their leadership either and would dump Corbyn in a heartbeat.
Still think it'll be Baker/ReesMogg and their ERG lot that'll scupper any decent deal.
Boris backing May's WA vote the 3rd time after voting against twice has many ERG looking at Boris uneasily, maybe they've realized what we all knew that he's not really one of them?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
The solution is another referendum with single transferable vote and putting 3 real solutions onto the ballot - Leave with WA, leave with No Deal and remain. This means people could rank their preferences in order with the least popular option being eliminated and the 2nd preferences finding a majority for something, which parliament would then be obliged to support. And it would throw proper light on the fact that Brexiteers want all manner of different things, many of which amount to having their cake and eating it.
That just seems a desperate attempt to overturn the result of the first referendum. It splits the leave vote meaning that remain definitely wouldn't get the lowest vote. And when you have people like the new Lib Dem leader saying she would only accept the result of a 2nd referendum if the result was remain what's the point of holding one?

Thread starter #60

Mudball

Assistant Pro
I would like to see ResMogg get into the cabinet and deliver Brexit.. but will his nannys and au pairs have to go back?