Blm-Renaming the masters

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
ah...but surely you be can offended on my behalf?
I would find it difficult to be offended on your behalf if you can’t read properly.;)
This is the problem , people being offended on behalf of BAME people without actually asking them what they think.
Just a question
If a poll asked 100 BAME people should the name be changed ?
No 98%
Yes 2%.
Should it be changed because some are offended.?

Last edited:

sunshine

Because the current name, as is suggested by the original post, is offending people of the BAME community. Why dont you care about those that are offended? Just because you're not and players "probably" arent... Ignorance is quite clearly bliss
I understand your logic. However the key question here is whether the Masters name is genuinely offending anyone. Probably fair to say that the original twitter poster is hunting for offence and are clutching at straws here.

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
Ok guys, think we have made the point

The problem we have is that we don’t want to trivialise racism as it is a serious subject, however when a racist bandwagon is jumped on because of misinformation or a misunderstanding it does it’s cause no favours at all.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I would find it difficult to be offended on your behalf if you can’t read properly.;)
This is the problem , people being offended on behalf of BAME people without actually asking them what they think.
Just a question
If a poll asked 100 BAME people should the name be changed ?
No 98%
Yes 2%.
Should it be changed because some are offended.?
I was of course kidding.....

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Oh nah, I dont want the Major moved from Augusta. I can just understand the calls for the actual name of the tournament itself to be renamed. Its really not that much of a big deal to rename it something that doesnt offend anyone is it? People in here are quite literally arguing because they dont want a name change, but I bet those saying it are white? (I am too). If the term "master" is offending people then just change it, god almighty its just a name :ROFLMAO: still the same outstanding golf course with all the green jacket tradition we love.
Just reading this thread and it is clear that the yoghurt knitters are really taking over and are latching on to everything. The danger is that the real important issues inclcuding continuing to reduce racism will be lost in a haze of irrelvant propoganda, rhetoric and unnecessary campaigns. If The Masters was a genuinly named after racist attitudes or policies then sure, it has to go, but it seems clear that it was nothing to do with that. If we were to change everrything that would offend someone for whatever reason the world would suffocate and implode.

The key in all of this is changing views, prejudices, perceptions and opening up opportunities for all - and this seems to have improved in every decade that i have been alive and hopefully will continue. As Chris mentioned, education is key as there will always be prejudices, whether racial, political, eletist, sexual etc etc. The club policies have evolved as society has but the elitist old-school network at the top end of parts of society will never change and membership is totally off the agenda for 99.99% of people and always will be. History cannot change, but the future can evolve as we learn the lessons from it. We do not, in the most part, need to get rid of statues, change names etc. We need to learn and understand why wrongs were committed, prejudices formed and make sure that we improve the future.

Last edited:

sunshine

This has inevitably gone off topic but I thought it was an interesting debate. Context is important:

The name Augusta triggers images of a perfectly manicured golf course, an ultra exclusive private club where only the richest and most well connected can play. I imagined the golf course is located in a fabulously wealthy neighbourhood like Wentworth. But 24% of the population of Augusta are classed as persons in poverty (US census). That's a pretty shocking statistic for a town in the most wealthy country in the world.

I also think of historical issues with no black members (until 1990!) and no black golfers allowed to play in the Masters, and even the fried chicken comment from Fuzzy Zoeller about Tiger's champions' dinner. These rules may have gone, but they're not forgotten. I find it hard to reconcile that a club in Augusta, where 65% of the population is black / African American, can have zero black members (probably 1 token member today).

When you look at the facts, it is easy to see how an uninformed person could misunderstand the origin of the word "Masters" in this tournament. I don't agree with it being offensive, but there is a lot of work needed to update the image of the tournament. They seem to be on the right lines today, but golf has a lot of catching up to do. Some of the responses on this thread show a real ignorance of racism, but if you have never experienced / seen the impact, then why would you take it seriously.

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Oh nah, I dont want the Major moved from Augusta. I can just understand the calls for the actual name of the tournament itself to be renamed. Its really not that much of a big deal to rename it something that doesnt offend anyone is it? People in here are quite literally arguing because they dont want a name change, but I bet those saying it are white? (I am too). If the term "master" is offending people then just change it, god almighty its just a name :ROFLMAO: still the same outstanding golf course with all the green jacket tradition we love.
So who is actually offended by it?

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
It's an invitational. The solution is easy, just invite someone other than the top 50 golfers. That is elitist. Be more inclusive, broaden the entry criteria, have more choppers.

drdel

Tour Rookie
So Lewis Hamilton's F1 car is to be 'black'!

I think such actions may negatively impact the ultimate aim by trivialisation.