Blm-Renaming the masters

My point is that they are probably not offended by it so why should anyone else be?
I dont think that matters, its just a societal change. As i said before, if the names offending people, fans or players, make a simple change to the name? I wouldnt not watch the tournament because the name changed, dont think anyone would?

Exactly, so why the need to change it?
Because the current name, as is suggested by the original post, is offending people of the BAME community. Why dont you care about those that are offended? Just because you're not and players "probably" arent... Ignorance is quite clearly bliss

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
Because the current name, as is suggested by the original post, is offending people of the BAME community. Why dont you care about those that are offended? Just because you're not and players "probably" arent... Ignorance is quite clearly bliss
From what I can see in that article it appears to be a very small minority and I think a bit of education about the meaning of the word 'masters' might be more appropriate than changing the name of the tournament.

But hey, it's fashionable for minorities to change things that affect majorities these days. Do we need to change the name of the tennis Masters series too?

Traminator

Because the current name, as is suggested by the original post, is offending people of the BAME community. Why dont you care about those that are offended?
Can you first of all clarify exactly what is meant by the word "offended", and could you then list those who are factually affected by said description?

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
It shouldn't be at all.

Do we know the Masters specifically refers to the best of the trade, as posted as fact by many on here? Roberts was overtly racist.
A quick google search xcomes up with a couple of answers

"The first "Augusta National Invitational" Tournament, as the Masters was originally known, began on March 22, 1934. The present name was adopted in 1939"

"How did the world's most famous golf tournament receive its name?

The answer goes back to 1934, when the event was created.

Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts, the founders of the event, originally named the tournament, The Augusta National Invitational Tournament. When Roberts proposed the name, The Masters, Jones objected, believing the name was too presumptuous. However, five years later, Jones relented and the name was officially changed"

I think that if someone is looking at The Masters and thinking there is something wrong with the name, is seeing a problem that does not exist

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
If the name Masters was adopted in the context of slavery then surely that would imply that anyone who played in the event 'owned' slaves? I have never seen any evidence to suggest that was the case.

Can you first of all clarify exactly what is meant by the word "offended", and could you then list those who are factually affected by said description?
Im not BAME, it doesnt offend me. And no I couldnt give you a list but why do I need one to be right? If ONE person is offended, its enough to start a conversation. But you probably want the slave master statues back too...

Your opinion on this matter is clear and wont be changed so lets just agree to disagree. I am firmly in the camp that if something causes upset, change it, for the greater good of everyone. (Give me a good reason why you shoudnt change the name?) Cant believe the responses I've had in this thread. What a true taste of what BAME people go through every day. Opression right off the bat and closed mind thinking do not make the world a better place chaps.

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
Im not BAME, it doesnt offend me. And no I couldnt give you a list but why do I need one to be right? If ONE person is offended, its enough to start a conversation. But you probably want the slave master statues back too...

Your opinion on this matter is clear and wont be changed so lets just agree to disagree. I am firmly in the camp that if something causes upset, change it, for the greater good of everyone. (Give me a good reason why you shoudnt change the name?) Cant believe the responses I've had in this thread. What a true taste of what BAME people go through every day. Opression right off the bat and closed mind thinking do not make the world a better place chaps.
I think you need to keep a sense of perspective. You can't change everything that offends ONE person.

Traminator

Nice generic clichés.
Various generic assumptions.
Several generic soundbites.
Zero hard factual substance.

chrisd

Major Champion
I think you are reading too much into it Chris. Travelers is a company name, nothing to do with ethnic Romany gypsies ;)
Can you prove that, every time I see the name I have strong feelings that travelers of all types will be offended just like Winston Churchill, Masters, various statues and loads of other things I cant remember, does 😉

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
I think you are reading too much into it Chris. Travelers is a company name, nothing to do with ethnic Romany gypsies ;)
So the company will have to change its name , then the golf tournament will be called something else.
This is getting silly and does no favours to real racism problems.
I wonder what Tiger thinks of changing the name of the Masters.?

chrisd

Major Champion
So the company will have to change its name , then the golf tournament will be called something else.
This is getting silly and does no favours to real racism problems.
I wonder what Tiger thinks of changing the name of the Masters.?
Who cares?

But if I were a Tiger I'd be offended by a golfer pretending to be one of us 😖