Andy Murray Retiring Soon

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Team sports and nowhere near the level of achievement that Murray has achieved.
On a world stage Murray’s achievements are nowhere near some of the other Brit’s mentioned. Some of them were the worlds best, and recognised as the greatest there sport has had. Murray in the grand scheme of things in tennis doesn’t even make the top 10. So whilst his record is great on these shores, if achievement levels are used as a deciding factor. His doesn’t carry as much weight as many others.

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
In my opinion your argument about team sports is nonsense. You can have great sportsmen and women within a team environment. Using your distinction Steve Redgrave's achievements aren't as good as he was in a team sport as well? That means Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo can't be considered great sportsmen because they play team sports.

Are you a Rangers fan? Could that have something to do with you not rating a former Celtic player very highly?

Murray has won three Grand Slams. Yes that's a good achievement but it's not what I'd consider a great career. Djokovitch has won 14 Grand Slams, Nadal has won 16, Federer has won 20. Those are what I would call great careers.
You have just lost my interest when you played the bigot card.

Goodnight 😴

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
On a world stage Murray’s achievements are nowhere near some of the other Brit’s mentioned. Some of them were the worlds best, and recognised as the greatest there sport has had. Murray in the grand scheme of things in tennis doesn’t even make the top 10. So whilst his record is great on these shores, if achievement levels are used as a deciding factor. His doesn’t carry as much weight as many others.
Andy Murray was the world's best. Don't get ranked number one in the world for nothing.

His achievements are phenomenal, especially when you compare the era he achieved it in.

Best British athlete ever.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
You have just lost my interest when you played the bigot card.

Goodnight 😴
"Bigot card"? Grow up. There was no bigot card played. The same argument could be made of an Everton fan not rating a former Liverpool player, a Spurs fan not rating a former Arsenal player or a Norwich fan not rating a former Ipswich player.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Andy Murray was the world's best. Don't get ranked number one in the world for nothing.

His achievements are phenomenal, especially when you compare the era he achieved it in.

Best British athlete ever
Very hard to justify if going by pure winning - take for example Faldo - 6 majors , double what Murray did , also got to number one in the World , why would Murray be above him ?

Add in Hoy and all his medals , Redgrave , Thompson - the list is endless and certainly far to subjective to enable you to state with finality that Murray is the best ,at least provide more than just he got to Number 1

Papas1982

Tour Winner

Best British athlete ever.
Getting to number one and being known as the best aren’t the same thing when discussed historically. Westwood and Donald have both gotten to world number 1. Where do they rank in the pantheon of golfing greats?

In this era, he is still at best the 4th best tennis player, that for me doesn’t get you the accolades of best ever for me.

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
Simply because thats my opinion and belief. What he achieved as I have already said is phenomenal when you see it. What he has put himself and his body through to achieve what he has.

I'm not sure where in any previous post that I've asked people to agree with me.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Getting to number one and being known as the best aren’t the same thing when discussed historically. Westwood and Donald have both gotten to world number 1. Where do they rank in the pantheon of golfing greats?

In this era, he is still at best the 4th best tennis player, that for me doesn’t get you the accolades of best ever for me.
Murray doesnt get placed above Borg, McEnroe, Pete Sampras and even Boris Becker let alone his immediate peers for me.

PieMan

Tour Winner
Redgrave only sat in a boat. Chris Hoy did more than him.

Thomson was good but not in the Murray class.
Seriously what colour crayons taste the best to you?

What Andy Murray has achieved in his sport, and how he has represented himself and Scotland/Britain has been fantastic and he deserves all the plaudits he receives, but to say he's Britain's greatest ever sports person is frankly laughable.

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
Sat in a boat and dipped an oar. Whoop whoop.

At least Murray was a proper athlete ya rocket.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Top tennis player who can look back with huge pride on his career. One thing though, he hasn't actually retired yet. It might be 2 weeks away, it might be 7 months away. Save the accolades and tears for when he actually packs in.

PieMan

Tour Winner
Sat in a boat and dipped an oar. Whoop whoop.

At least Murray was a proper athlete ya rocket.
Don't suppose you ever watched the documentary on Redgrave then a few years back and the training regime he went through every day, often at the crack of dawn and ending many hours later? Oh and doing all of this after being diagnosed with diabetes?

Go and get yourself a new pack of crayola! 😉

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
Don't suppose you ever watched the documentary on Redgrave then a few years back and the training regime he went through every day, often at the crack of dawn and ending many hours later? Oh and doing all of this after being diagnosed with diabetes?

Go and get yourself a new pack of crayola! 😉
Minority sport with about 4 other competitors worldwide.

As I say it's all about opinions and mine is Sir Andy is top of the tree. Without a shadow of doubt.

Two insults in the one thread - not sure how I'll sleep tonight.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Minority sport with about 4 other competitors worldwide.

As I say it's all about opinions and mine is Sir Andy is top of the tree. Without a shadow of doubt.

Two insults in the one thread - not sure how I'll sleep tonight.

Minority sport ? Tennis is also a minority sport - the participation levels won’t be far different , Redgrave was consistent over a 20 year period - as well as his 5 Olympic Golds you add in about 9 world championships as well

What about Farah - not a minority sport , 19 gold medals 5 Olympic , 6 world champs beating the best in the world consistently on the biggest stage

And of course there is always doubt when it’s not something that can be quantified- but if you look at each sport and their results in the big comps - Murray is behind a good deal amount of people. Murray’s impact in tennis in the UK is superb and he did well to win 3 slams but that’s a far distance behind the best in the sport and about the same as someone like Warinka.

Yep it’s all about opinions and Murray is one of the best in the UK but i woiod suspect it’s always going to be a popularity contest

I would also add a certain Tony McCoy to the list - his achievements are something that imo won’t ever be topped in the sport