Andy Murray Retiring Soon

Wolf

Retiring at 31 while Federer is still smashing it at the age of 45.

Does this mean he can back to being Scottish again?
Federer 45 😂

More like 37 years old and still exceptional at a level where others wish they played the game so easily

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Really sad for him. Amazing guts and feel he made the best of what he was given. Sometimes let his shoulders drop in the early days but found some real guts and worked so hard for what he achieved - perhaps his body just couldn't deal with that amount of work. I think the country owes him hugely for giving us some hope and joy in the sport of tennis again. Then his commitment to The Davis Cup - we won the Davis Cup - still sounds surreal!

Thanks Andy.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
What else can I say, other than agree with all the positive comments already said.

It just goes to show what incredible athletes Federer (especially), Djockovich and Nadal are, being able and fit enough to play at the top level for such a long time.

Will be interesting to see what Andy does after hopefully signing off with a great performance at Wimbledon.

Slime

Tour Winner
I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and all he has achieved and his press conference this morning just shows the passion he has for his sport.
He's an absolute lionheart.
The times I've seen him playing for 3 or 4 hours in ridiculous heat to an unbelievable standard only to see him repeat it the following day ................................ and footballers get tired playing twice a week!!
He will be sorely missed in Slime's house.
He's done more for British tennis than anyone could have dreamed of.

Cheers Andy, and all the best for whatever the future holds for you. (y)

JamesR

Tour Winner
He is so good that, had he not come up against 3 of the greatest sportsmen of all time (not just top tennis players) his ability would be lauded far more.
Serve like Sampras, return better than Agassi and volley like Becker.
Great player surely to be missed.

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
Britain's greatest ever athlete.

That is all.

Proud of everything he has achieved, his honesty, his dedication, his stance on the inequalities within tennis prize money. An absolute gentleman and a star.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Britain's greatest ever athlete.

That is all.

Proud of everything he has achieved, his honesty, his dedication, his stance on the inequalities within tennis prize money. An absolute gentleman and a star.
That's a BIG call!

Agree with the rest of it though.

He is so good that, had he not come up against 3 of the greatest sportsmen of all time (not just top tennis players) his ability would be lauded far more.
Serve like Sampras, return better than Agassi and volley like Becker.
Great player surely to be missed.
One out of three maybe.

He was a very good defensive player, but he played in an era where even IF he did have a serve like Sampras (which he didn't) or the ability to volley like Becker (which he didn't), he wouldn't have utilised them anyway.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Would be Sir Steve Redgrave. Thompson was great but I don't think Redgrave's achievements will be surpassed
Steve Redgrave undoubtedly the greatest athlete in his sport and fantastic achievements but can someone from what is essentially a minority sport be considered Britain's greatest athlete? Daley Thompson would probably get my vote, at least until someone comes up with someone else that I haven't thought of up to now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Steve Redgrave undoubtedly the greatest athlete in his sport and fantastic achievements but can someone from what is essentially a minority sport be considered Britain's greatest athlete? Daley Thompson would probably get my vote, at least until someone comes up with someone else that I haven't thought of up to now.
Don't get me wrong, Thompson's ability to master so many events and achieve the success he had was huge. I just think as a sporting legacy, what Redgrave achieved is something that won't be beaten, especially when you take into account the number of world titles etc on top of those Olympic golds. Just my opinion and can see your argument regarding Thompson

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
I think it’s near on impossible to say who is the greatest UK sportsman ever and it’s all opinion but imo you can pick from any of the following

Murray
Thompson
Redgrave
Hoy
Holmes
Farah
Wilkinson
Anslie
Pinsett
Coe
Botham
Faldo
Stewart
Hamilton
Lewis
Moore
Ennis
Pendalton
Weir
Grey Thompson

Take your pick

But what it does show for a small island and a lot of times not funded too much we have done pretty well for ourselves

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Redgrave only sat in a boat. Chris Hoy did more than him.

Thomson was good but not in the Murray class.
I'm not even sure that Murray is Scotland's greatest ever sportsman, let alone Britain's greatest ever. Chris Hoy, as mentioned above, Kenny Dalglish, Stephen Hendry, Alan Wells, Jocky Wilson, Dennis Law and Jackie Stewart are just a few that come to mind as needing consideration and I'm sure there are several more that I've missed. But I guess that's the beauty of this type of discussion. There are so many variables that there isn't a definitive answer and it will all come down to opinions.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Dalglish. Christ on a bike.
At Celtic.....

4 Scottish League titles
4 Scottish Cups
1 Scottish League Cup

At Liverpool.....

6 League titles
1 FA Cup
4 League Cups
3 European Cups
1 European Super Cup

A pretty decent haul of trophies that would stack up against most players from his era. Especially when you add 4 league titles, 2 FA cups and a League Cup as a manager.

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
At Celtic.....

4 Scottish League titles
4 Scottish Cups
1 Scottish League Cup

At Liverpool.....

6 League titles
1 FA Cup
4 League Cups
3 European Cups
1 European Super Cup

A pretty decent haul of trophies that would stack up against most players from his era. Especially when you add 4 league titles, 2 FA cups and a League Cup as a manager.
Team sports and nowhere near the level of achievement that Murray has achieved.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Team sports and nowhere near the level of achievement that Murray has achieved.
In my opinion your argument about team sports is nonsense. You can have great sportsmen and women within a team environment. Using your distinction Steve Redgrave's achievements aren't as good as he was in a team sport as well? That means Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo can't be considered great sportsmen because they play team sports.

Are you a Rangers fan? Could that have something to do with you not rating a former Celtic player very highly?

Murray has won three Grand Slams. Yes that's a good achievement but it's not what I'd consider a great career. Djokovitch has won 14 Grand Slams, Nadal has won 16, Federer has won 20. Those are what I would call great careers.