Andy Murray Retiring Soon

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
I read that and was hugely saddened. I do wonder if his end of season push for world number one a few years ago broke him. He played through the pain then but was never the same player afterwards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I heard this on BBC news this morning. A very sad end to someone that has worked so hard and to achieve his Wimbledon dream. A multiple grand slam winner and someone that took over the mantle from Henman and raised British male tennis to a new height. I hope he can have a decent run in Australia as a final hurrah but it does sound like his injury may not allow that

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Used to be a bit marmite in his moody anti-media early years but over last few years has been something of a UK statesman since winning Olympics in London 2012 I think.
Knew this was coming, he could get hip joint skimmed but to get to the level he needs to be competitive where being just 1 or 2% off peak fitness is critical and given his age, has accepted it's over, not an easy thing to do.
3 slams, 2 olympic titles and a Davis Cup win is a decent haul, lost a lot of slam finals too but just getting to a slam final is quite something really.

Shame he hasn't really brought UK players on, Edmund seems half decent if a bit of a journeyman.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Absolute legend in my opinion. I grew up knowing that our tennis players would eventually lose and getting excited if they reached a semi final. He changed that and won things. He is a great advocate for equality, has a great dry sense of humour plus he enraged the little Englanders with the football comment that was a joke, but certain people got all in a tiz about. Which endeared him to me even more.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
First Brit to win Wimbledon in shorts will always be his legacy.
Tough competitor with a good sense of humour and a warm heart.

I have a feeling that we will hear a lot more from him in whatever he choses to do next.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
I mentioned the news this morning in the office..... there really is a lot of hatred for him.

Wolf

Literally just read this article on a other news site, quite a sad way for it all to end. Since the 2012 Olympics I think we all took him to heart and he has earned a great deal of respect from everyone.

A real shame but hopefully he can go out on his terms and make something new just as successful.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
A great tennis player who I think because of his perceived outward demeanour a number of people can't take to. A shame really as if you look at his achievements, actually listen to what he's saying in his natural deadpan way and see what he's done in the background then I think post retirement his stock will rise quite considerably. He continued to give it all for the Davis Cup team when he could when other players of equal standing didn't play in it and was vocal in his support for equality in the sport.
I have a feeling we will see a lot of him both on the TV and trying to promote British tennis in the future.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Outstanding player and the best by a mile that the UK has ever produced and I am sorry that his injury hasn't mended.. However, I think that it's a great shame that he has given advanced indeterminate notice of his retirement. It is simply unfair to his future opponents.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Greatest ever Scottish sportsman. 3 slams and an Olympic gold in the same era as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic is a tremendous record, not to mention winning the Davis Cup single-handedly.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
I've never been his biggest fan in regards to the tennis he played, always preferred watching the big three and then some of the more flamboyant players.

That said, i think he's a genuine guy, always seems a laugh on tv shows which is a different demeanour to what i'd expect. Also saw a quality tweet this week where he was offering a fan free tickets.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Outstanding player and the best by a mile that the UK has ever produced and I am sorry that his injury hasn't mended.. However, I think that it's a great shame that he has given advanced indeterminate notice of his retirement. It is simply unfair to his future opponents.
Don't disagree but it also gives his fans a chance to say goodbye.

PieMan

Tour Winner
A true icon of British sport IMHO not just tennis.

Whilst his game was never as easy on the eye as the GOAT in Federer (let's face it that applies to every player in the game!) what he has achieved in this era of tennis is outstanding and I think he fully deserved to be ranked up there alongside Nadal and Djokovich as the three players who were able to compete against, match - and beat - the best the game has ever seen (I still put Federer in a class above the other 3).

Just a real shame that he got to the very top of the game by moving to Spain and away from the LTA/BTA programmes. Hopefully though he'll be able to give a lot more back to British tennis in the long run.

I truly hope he does make it to Wimbledon - as the only British male to win the men's singles title in the open era he deserves to bow out at his home tournament and on the greatest stage of them all in centre court. Will be an unbelievable reception for him if he does.

Thank you for some amazing memories Sir Andrew Barron Murray OBE.

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
I'm glad he is retiring, had a brilliant career winning 3(?) slams and Olympic gold. Plenty of money in the bank so ride off into the sunset and enjoy life before he does himself any lasting damage.

Adios Andy and thanks for the memories (y)