All things BBQ and Braai

Thread starter #81

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Is that sat directly on the coals? Do you not have to spend an agebrushing off ash and charcoal grit?
Straight on mate, just a quick brush after, leave it to rest for 10 minutes (I covered in garlic butter while resting) and all is good.
I must admit I had reservations before I did it but the results were superb. You need to use lumpwood charcoal for reasons I don't yet understand 😂

hovis

Tour Winner
Where are you guys getting your briskets from? When I started my briskets where always too dry. My butcher said its because beef is slaughterdd early in the uk so you don't get a chance for decent marbling to build in the meat. So I smoke chuck instead and it's spot on. Lots of marbling and the juices keep the beef moist. The briskets I've searched for always seem to be very lean with a slap of fat at the end!!

Kellfire

Tour Winner
I’ve just ordered myself some new cast iron skillets for searing steaks after cooking sous vide. It’s not BBQ but it’s a quality alternative.

Thread starter #85

Beezerk

Money List Winner
oooh a bit of “dirty” cooking, nice work!
Honestly mate, nom nom.
My ribeye was not as thick as I'd normally like it but I thought the quick cooking suited the thinner steak much better. The thicker steaks were a bit trickier, I just used feel rather than a thermometer and they turned out great. That Facebook group you put me onto is top notch mind 👍

Thread starter #89

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Got a pork loin joint going on today View attachment 31939
Looks delish, any particular plans?
Nothing planned today but last night I did half assed smash burgers with hassleback potatoes (had garlic and parmesan in them) and some chicken breast rolled in streaky bacon, BBQ for half an hour then in a tray with a Kansas style sauce for about 30 mins to finish off.
I've already started eating those chicken things again this morning 🤣

Looks delish, any particular plans?
Nothing planned today but last night I did half assed smash burgers with hassleback potatoes (had garlic and parmesan in them) and some chicken breast rolled in streaky bacon, BBQ for half an hour then in a tray with a Kansas style sauce for about 30 mins to finish off.
I've already started eating those chicken things again this morning 🤣
I’m trying to do a full Sunday roast, the joint will be done hot and fast. Hoping I can get the crackling going directly over the coals for 30 mins then move it off the coals and bring the temp down to 180c for 1.5-2 hours until it’s done. Will have to resist the temptation to take the lid off and have a look at it.

Spuds and veg in a tray beneath to baste in the pork juices.

Thread starter #91

Beezerk

Money List Winner
I’m trying to do a full Sunday roast, the joint will be done hot and fast. Hoping I can get the crackling going directly over the coals for 30 mins then move it off the coals and bring the temp down to 180c for 1.5-2 hours until it’s done. Will have to resist the temptation to take the lid off and have a look at it.

Spuds and veg in a tray beneath to baste in the pork juices.
Drool 😋

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
I know this wont be popular but here goes.

I detest BBQs, they belch out acrid smoke and unpleasant smells into other peoples properties. As bad as neighbours having bonfires on hot days when you want your windows open.

I know this wont be popular but here goes.

I detest BBQs, they belch out acrid smoke and unpleasant smells into other peoples properties. As bad as neighbours having bonfires on hot days when you want your windows open.
The smell can vary hugely depending on the type of fuel. Low quality fuel will give off a lot of smoke (especially when being lit) and can smell quite bad, but good quality fuel gives off little smoke and smell.

I don’t think I’ve had any negative comments from our neighbourhood when cooking, but have regularly had messages asking if there will be any leftovers.

Thread starter #100

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Lashing it down outside so I stuck and dry rubbed 1.7kg brisket in the oven a couple of hours ago.
Morissons are doing some cracking sized brisket at the minute, they're also doing massive beef ribs but they are about £18 per rib 🙉