2020 Professional Golf Thread

Swinglowandslow

That was some entertainment. Used to watch football, but not now , with the cheating etc.
This was exciting from two fine golfers, to see the pressure( missed fairways, but not apparent outwardly).
Maybe the absent crowds would have given it more appeal for many, but for myself I found it more than exciting enough. It was one of those where you didn't want there to be a loser.
Shame in a way that the drive of Thomas finished up with him having no shot into the green. Meant the result was more or less decided when it came to rest where it did.
Professional golf is so good now. No one person is dominating. Any week it can be any one of so many leading.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
I thiught that announced a small crowd soon??

I think viewing figured have been quite steady so they're confident in the product with out them for now.

Thread starter #526

IainP

Tour Rookie
I'm generally against the manufacturing of featured groups, must be mellowing post lockdown and enjoying the tour - quite looking forward to this week's offering.

They missed a trick not pairing Brooks with Bryson though.
Seen nlu tweeting about this and a few on there sharing the same view. I kind of disagree though, I don’t want to see manufactured rivalries, I want it to be a genuine clash on a Saturday or Sunday where they’ve both earned it and got in the final group. That would be compelling viewing.

I know it probably doesn’t fit with the tv companies views but I would prefer all groups to be drawn on a Thursday/Friday and then least we could get to see a few more randoms with top players, and a few contrasting styles.

As an aside, I’ve also noticed that by the time sky comes on for the ‘live’ coverage for the last few events the leaderboard is pretty much set on a Thursday and Friday.

Traminator

As an aside, I’ve also noticed that by the time sky comes on for the ‘live’ coverage for the last few events the leaderboard is pretty much set on a Thursday and Friday.
The live coverage time has never really changed.
Sometimes they get lucky and someone is making a run up the leaderboard, sometimes the leaders finished hours ago. As you say though, not much movement lately.
The current blanket coverage from about midday though is awesome I think.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I woke up this morning and realised that the 149th Open Championship should now be under way. Feeling rather sad.
Two years ago yesterday I went to Carnoustie (Sunday before The Open) to pick up my photo accreditation for the tournament. I'd intended going to the pub to watch the World Cup final but ten minutes before kick off this guy appeared, I'd walked a whole round with him in his last year as an amateur but this was the first time I'd seen him live since, I wasn't missing the chance to photograph him - he played seven or eight holes and finished just as injury time started at the football - all I've ever seen of that final is Pogba missing a sitter. Gutted the Open is cancelled this year.

AB8U3208.JPG

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Two years ago yesterday I went to Carnoustie (Sunday before The Open) to pick up my photo accreditation for the tournament. I'd intended going to the pub to watch the World Cup final but ten minutes before kick off this guy appeared, I'd walked a whole round with him in his last year as an amateur but this was the first time I'd seen him live since, I wasn't missing the chance to photograph him - he played seven or eight holes and finished just as injury time started at the football - all I've ever seen of that final is Pogba missing a sitter. Gutted the Open is cancelled this year.

View attachment 31642
Went to Portrush largely to see the big cat.

He had a rubbish day, but was still great to see him

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Not a bad start for TW. Looks like he's going to -2 through 3. Love to see it. Swinging nice and easy off the tee as well, not thrashing at it like he was in the past. Interested to see the driver swing.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Eugh, what's Phil doing with his putting? Pausing in his backswing with his putter. That can't work surely?! Isn't working so far anyway.

Thread starter #539

IainP

Tour Rookie
Commentators have a few times used "flighted" (am not watching on sky by the way). i.e. "it's a flighted 7 iron"

Is this more made up commentator stuff?

When is a shot not flighted?

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
Commentators have a few times used "flighted" (am not watching on sky by the way). i.e. "it's a flighted 7 iron"

Is this more made up commentator stuff?

When is a shot not flighted?
I think flighted is a manipulated shot shape, a bit like a stinger, rather than what you would normally expect a 7i flight to be.