10 minute intervals

Played again today - lovely day - golf was not great but don’t care. We went round in 3hrs 10mins which was nice pace.

But one irritant related to the starting interval. As we were on the 1st green the pair behind us appeared over the top of the hill - they either teed off early or were on a mission to get round ASAP. Not for one hole were they 10 minutes behind us - in fact by the way they were playing they were clearly playing their normal ‘tear round the course‘ pace as one would often be putting out before the other had reached the green. They were a couple of lively seniors and I guess this was their normal pace, and among their usual Monday crew that’s how they play.

Now I’m all for letting groups through if they are faster than me but I am just thinking that at the moment we should simply play to keep the 10minutes separation - certainly whenever it looked like we were closing on the pair in front we held back a bit to give them space. But that didn’t stop the guys behind pushing and closing on us. I am afraid I was not at all inclined to let them play through and did give them an occasional glare...

Thoughts...
I think you were perfectly within your rights to be more than a little irritated if they were constantly on your backs. If you've nowhere to go ahead of you, it can be very unsettling in normal times. In the current climate, I'm surprised you didn't have a gentle word after the game.......... conducted in a socially distant kind of way!

Thread starter #82

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
I find it very strange, given the fact that clubs seem to be going to 8 minutes and even less, that England Golf haven't specified either that it is OK, or that it isn't. If they have, I certainly can't find it.

I think you were perfectly within your rights to be more than a little irritated if they were constantly on your backs. If you've nowhere to go ahead of you, it can be very unsettling in normal times. In the current climate, I'm surprised you didn't have a gentle word after the game.......... conducted in a socially distant kind of way!
Oh they most certainly could have gone through and caught the pair in front of us. In normal circumstances if i was ten mins behind the group ahead of me then I might well let a quicker group through. I tend to not take the ‘you’ve nowhere to go‘ approach, I’ll just let them through.

But today we were deliberately falling back if we were closing on the group in front to maintain distance - and the 10min separation. So it often looked like we’d lost a hole - which we hadn’t. I was primed to say something if anything had been said to me in the car park. 😊. I might speak with our club manager on this. When i am not going to be able to play 18 holes until a week on Saturday earliest because the course is fully booked I don’t need to feel pushed in the current circumstances by members who can most probably play every day. We should just keep our distance.

Traminator

Played again today - lovely day - golf was not great but don’t care. We went round in 3hrs 10mins which was nice pace.

But one irritant related to the starting interval. As we were on the 1st green the pair behind us appeared over the top of the hill - they either teed off early or were on a mission to get round ASAP. Not for one hole were they 10 minutes behind us - in fact by the way they were playing they were clearly playing their normal ‘tear round the course‘ pace as one would often be putting out before the other had reached the green. They were a couple of lively seniors and I guess this was their normal pace, and among their usual Monday crew that’s how they play.

Now I’m all for letting groups through if they are faster than me but I am just thinking that at the moment we should simply play to keep the 10minutes separation - certainly whenever it looked like we were closing on the pair in front we held back a bit to give them space. But that didn’t stop the guys behind pushing and closing on us. I am afraid I was not at all inclined to let them play through and did give them an occasional glare...

Thoughts...
Yes, with courses fully booked and everyone evenly spread out I'm with you on this, nobody is playing through. It's not like it's slow is it.
They might not have been rushing though, just their normal pace.

Yes, with courses fully booked and everyone evenly spread out I'm with you on this, nobody is playing through. It's not like it's slow is it.
They might not have been rushing though, just their normal pace.
I have no doubt it would have been their normal pace and modus operandi in a four ball - but as a two ball they just needed to slow down. We were round in a nice and steady 3hrs 10mins. Lovely day. Enjoying our course and being grateful for being back out.

PaulS

Perhaps they dont read this forum or know how many clubs are blatantly ignoring their guidance
The EG have given “guidance” and some clubs have confirmed with them that other size gaps are acceptable provided that social distancing rules can be adhered too. As long as the club is following the social distancing rules then what’s wrong with 8 mins ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
The EG have given “guidance” and some clubs have confirmed with them that other size gaps are acceptable provided that social distancing rules can be adhered too. As long as the club is following the social distancing rules then what’s wrong with 8 mins ?
I'm not sure where I have said there is anything wrong with.

GB72

Money List Winner
I have no problem with any gap between tee times as long as the distancing is observed. I think the situation requires strong and regular marshaling until people become used to the current normal. It is strange and some will comply better than others but the next few weeks need to be used to drum the right practices into everyone as they need to be second nature once bigger and mixed number groups are allowed

PaulS

I'm not sure where I have said there is anything wrong with.
Clubs are supposed to be run by adults. E.G. Has stated what they want to happen and clubs should follow the instructions or they can go down the same route as the knob head that the SAR helicopter is having to deal with in N Devon at the moment. Simple really.
E.G. Say 10 min others know better, nothing changes then.
Just comparing them to people who needed to get the SAR team out ?

Quite a few posts being critical of clubs that are going 8 mins

So it there nothing wrong with it or are they run by the same knobs head as you call them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I’ll add that they seniors behind us were playing off yellows as that’s I think what they do to get round quicker as the whites are quite a lot longer with much more risk off the tee. And of course as today was my only full round until next Monday earliest (the course is fully booked and unless someone drops out today was it) we played off the whites.
We can play off any tee we want but if you have a starter on the tee doing the job properly, then people can't get off early. Working a treat at our place at the moment. If people were pushing me from behind I'd find a convenient spot (where holes up and down or a tee and green are pretty close) and simply tell them their behaviour is unacceptable, you have maintained position and safe distancing as required and that if they persist you'll report them to the club. Unless we take a firm stance now, people will take liberties and push. Just my point of view

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Can't see any changes on E.G. Web site, any chance of pointing us in the right section where its changed.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Just comparing them to people who needed to get the SAR team out ?

Quite a few posts being critical of clubs that are going 8 mins

So it there nothing wrong with it or are they run by the same knobs head as you call them
Some are happy to go by the official guidance some knob heads know better and do their own thing. Their choice.

PaulS

Can't see any changes on E.G. Web site, any chance of pointing us in the right section where its changed.
No one has said there has been any changes - EG gave out guidelines on what they recommend for timings , some courses are adjusting that based on the layout of their course and the make up of the membership. I know one course contacted them to ask about 8 mins because their course set up allowed it and it helped them get more members on.

It was a guidance not a rule as opposed to the 2 ball with one person outside your household which is a rule.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
No one has said there has been any changes - EG gave out guidelines on what they recommend for timings , some courses are adjusting that based on the layout of their course and the make up of the membership. I know one course contacted them to ask about 8 mins because their course set up allowed it and it helped them get more members on.

It was a guidance not a rule as opposed to the 2 ball with one person outside your household which is a rule.

layout of the course and make up of the membership? seriously

at least be honest and admit golf courses think they know better than the guidance and purely want to get more players out there to keep their members happier rather than the 2 complete bluffs above

Old Skier

Tour Winner

Sorry to say there is no change to E.G. Safe to Play instructions. If you let me know the one course you know contacted them I can give E.G. and county a ring to get our timings changed.

PaulS

layout of the course and make up of the membership? seriously

at least be honest and admit golf courses think they know better than the guidance and purely want to get more players out there to keep their members happier rather than the 2 complete bluffs above
Yes course layout - if the course is set up in a way that allows them to have 8 minute gaps and keep to all social distancing rules then what’s the issue ?

And if it allows more paying members to play , people who have paid through the times it’s been closed then I can’t see an issue.

A 2 ball going off at 8 min gaps will still complete the hole before the group behind them start.