Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Handicap changes during a match

4BBB match....all square after 18 so players head back to the first for sudden death, they are able to play 2 holes without settling the match before darkness prevents further play.

They arrange to come back two evenings later to recommence the sudden death play off at the third tee...two holes are played without settling the match before the players are forced off due to the greens being unplayable due to heavy rain.

Due to holidays the players now cannot schedule further play in the match until a date much later in the month.

What happens if one of the players handicaps should change in the intervening period as a result of being able to play in a qualifying comp whilt the rest are away? Does the match restart (from the 5th) with shots based on the original handicaps held when the sudden death started...or are players stroke allowances for the remaining 14 holes adjusted based on the new handicap?

I personally think that the allowances are recalculated but cannot find any reference to a decision anywhere. Correct me or point me in the right direction please.
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Re: Handicap changes during a match

The players will play off the handicaps they used when the match was first started.

Tour Winner

Agreed

Money List Winner

May I agree as well?

6.2 a Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps....

Those handicaps are used for the duration of the match
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    May I agree as well?

6.2 a Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps....

Those handicaps are used for the duration of the match
    Thanks....so bloody easy I missed it in the actual rules themselves and was looking for a decision that covered a match stretching over several weeks!!
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    Thanks....so bloody easy I missed it in the actual rules themselves and was looking for a decision that covered a match stretching over several weeks!!
    Actually I didn't miss it....because on the R&A web site in the rules explorer, rule 6.2a makes no such statement.

This is a direct copy and paste of 6-2a...
    a. Match Play
    Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

there is nothing on there regarding the duration of a match.

Tour Winner

Actually I didn't miss it....because on the R&A web site in the rules explorer, rule 6.2a makes no such statement.

This is a direct copy and paste of 6-2a...
    a. Match Play
    Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

there is nothing on there regarding the duration of a match.
    As there is nothing mentioning a change of handicap, the presumption must be that the starting handicap is used until the match finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    As there is nothing mentioning a change of handicap, the presumption must be that the starting handicap is used until the match finishes.
    You miss my point...

Duncan's response made it look like the phrase "Those handicaps are used for the duration of the match" was part of the wording of 6-2a.

Which made me feel a bit daft that I'd missed it when looking through the rules....and then I discovered that I didn't miss it because the wording is not part of the rule (or at least it isn't in the R&A rules explorer!!).

Tour Winner

You miss my point...

Duncan's response made it look like the phrase "Those handicaps are used for the duration of the match" was part of the wording of 6-2a.

Which made me feel a bit daft that I'd missed it when looking through the rules....and then I discovered that I didn't miss it because the wording is not part of the rule (or at least it isn't in the R&A rules explorer!!).
    I think you missed the subtlety of Duncan's post.
    The quoted rule is in italics. His comment, following a blank line, is not

Money List Winner

You miss my point...

I apologise for not putting the specific rule element into a different font, or italics, and relying on the dots to indicate a continuation.

It wasn't my intention to be subtle - rules are hard enough.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...