Tour Winner

First try at golf

Handicap Challenge: chellie 21.7 v BrianM 23.1Handicap Challenge: chellie 21.7 v GG26 24.4

Tour Rookie

Re: First try at golf

Think its great when children first start playing, they pick it up so quickly. Was great fun when I took our two to golf, just so much excitement they inject into playing/hitting. Was speaking to a guy in a club car park when on holiday, who was asking us how we ended up all playing, as he has been trying to get son to play with him.

You going out with her on the course/encouraging her to play ?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ADA View Post
    Think its great when children first start playing, they pick it up so quickly. Was great fun when I took our two to golf, just so much excitement they inject into playing/hitting. Was speaking to a guy in a club car park when on holiday, who was asking us how we ended up all playing, as he has been trying to get son to play with him.

You going out with her on the course/encouraging her to play ?
    She is our six year old granddaughter and walks the full 18 with us at least once a week now. I've got her booked into a two hour session that the local range is doing in a couple of weeks and she's going to have a couple of taster goes with our Pro then hopefully start on the lessons.

This was the other week when men were walking off the course because of the rain
    Handicap Challenge: chellie 21.7 v BrianM 23.1Handicap Challenge: chellie 21.7 v GG26 24.4

Head Pro

Great stuff.
    My son is 7 now and has had group lessons and private lessons and the joy 'you' get when they hit a good shot is great.
    A bit like yourself with your grand daughter, my boy first had a hit at Castle stuart for the Scottish Open, i couldnt believe how well he was hitting it there, the guy that was doing it was excellent.
    Hope your grand daughter carries it on.
    Cheers Brian

Challenge Tour Pro

Good to read these stories. My little boy is 4 and a half and I often wonder at what point I should encourage his interest. I see that they sell clubs for aged 3-5 and 6-8. I kinda think 4 is a little to young to be even thinking about it, although he is interested. What could he really do at age 4.

Driving range when its quiet?

How does the club look at a child walking the course? Insurance for personal injury?

Tour Rookie

That's great Chellie, hope she enjoys it and continues with it.

Jusme, I would just start as soon as they show an interest and make it fun and as exciting as possible(as golf is boring when compared to playing football for instance). Iirc I think I took my son up the driving first a couple of times, just so he could hit a ball with the promise of going out on the course. I then took him to a short/flat/easy par 3 course initially, when it was really quiet(found people being around he was completely distracted). Used to let him hit another if a bad hit, he would go running after the ball on a good one, tried to make it as much fun as possible..

My daughter, I just took out on the course with my playing partner(they were a similar standard, just started ) and me. Similar when the course was dead first thing on a Sunday morning. Sadly after a number of times, she didn't want to continue with it but hopefully she may try in again in the future.

Get them out there, they are the future of golf
    Last edited by ADA; 08-Aug-2018 at 08:26.