Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tour Winner

Re: Reducing penalties

Quote Originally Posted by North Mimms View Post
    To clarify--this is a current rule?
    This was introduced in 2017 as an optional Local Rule (but clubs are strongly encouraged to use it). It will be a substantive Rule from 2019.

It only applies on the putting green - not through the green or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    This was introduced in 2017 as an optional Local Rule (but clubs are strongly encouraged to use it). It will be a substantive Rule from 2019.

It only applies on the putting green - not through the green or elsewhere.
    Thanks.
    I was playing with someone, just a holiday friendly comp, and she replaced her ball on green after nudging it at address. She's pretty good on rules so I assumed it was OK.
    I'll check local rules at my club cos I would call a penalty on myself if I did this in a formal comp (until next year!)

Tour Winner

I can't really imagine why a club would not have introduced it as a local rule. Unless they didn't know about it.

Head Pro

My club certainly knows about it but chose not to adopt it. I don't know why not.

Tour Winner

Well they won't have a choice in six months

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Well, I wouldn't engage your services as a sociologist.

What I hope you and your newbie friend will come to appreciate is that most penalties in golf arise from situations the player did not intend, situations which were accidental. The usual reason for a penalty is that the disallowed action might lead to an advantage over your opponent or the others in a stroke play field. Sometimes no advantage will accrue, but the penalty ensures that overall, any advantage is compensated for (on behalf of the others) by that penalty. In the particular example of accidentally moving your ball in play, the potential advantage lies in the fact that replacing is not necessarily exact and so it could be that after replacing you have a slightly better lie.

So there you are, the next time the subject crops up, you will have a better answer than just because the rules say so.
    Proverbs 29:9