Assistant Pro

2019 New Rules Query

I think I am right in saying that when dropping a ball within a specified area say 1 club length it must then remain within that area, ie the 2 club lengths run and still in play is no longer applicable when the new rules come in.

Question is - when dropping say "as far back as you like" does the 2 club length rule also no longer apply ?

and if so what would the restrictions be ?

Assistant Pro

Re: 2019 New Rules Query

NO answers ! then it must be a stupid question or no-one knows the answer, when can we get hold of the New Rules Book.

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Apparently no quetion is stupid. Let me have a go,

You are correct that under the new rules a knee high dropped ball has to remain within the measured area defined by either one or two club lengths depending on the nature of the relief. If it rolls outside this (or nearer the hole) it must be redropped.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question about dropping back in a line with the pin and two club lengths. Normal procedure is to go back in a straight line defined by the pin and the point of entry into the hazard or the place where you deemed the ball unplayable. You then drop your ball as near as possible to that imaginary line. As long as the ball strikes the course at that point I think it can roll anywhere (other than into a hazard) and it's then in play. No other restrictions apply I am aware of.

The new rule books (all 3) are published on the R&A website and I believe printed copies of the players guide will be distributed prior to the end of the year.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by oltimer View Post
    I think I am right in saying that when dropping a ball within a specified area say 1 club length it must then remain within that area, ie the 2 club lengths run and still in play is no longer applicable when the new rules come in.

Question is - when dropping say "as far back as you like" does the 2 club length rule also no longer apply ?

and if so what would the restrictions be ?
    17.1d
    Back-On-the-Line Relief. Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but
     Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
     May be in any area of the course except the same penalty area, but
     If more than one area of the course is located within one club-length of the reference point, the ball must come to rest in the relief area in the same area of the course that the ball first touched when dropped in the relief area.

Assistant Pro

Thanks for responding, currently one could get up to another two club lengths from impact point of drop, was thinking of an unplayable ball lie and whether or not this rule is remaining after other changes, it seems so from your answer - tnks again.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by oltimer View Post
    Thanks for responding, currently one could get up to another two club lengths from impact point of drop, was thinking of an unplayable ball lie and whether or not this rule is remaining after other changes, it seems so from your answer - tnks again.
    I believe the fundamental change is that currently you would drop at a reference point, from shoulder height and the ball could roll up to 2 club lengths; from next year you will drop with 1 club length of the reference point from knee height, and the ball must remain within this defined area.

Given the scale of things overall I don't see much changing in terms of the actual relief available and, for the vast majority of club golfers accurately dropping the ball has never been a skill (nor to be honest has accurately establishing most reference points either!)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...