Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Driver - Maybe

So after years of struggling with the driver I've been experimenting with a driving iron for the past week with pretty good results.

My driver I'll maybe hit 1 in 10 fairways, and the misses can be massive. And i mean massive.

Driving iron I'm probably hitting 8 out of 10 fairways, and the misses are perfectly playable. I'm loosing between 30-50 yards on my driver but I'm still well within reach of all our greens with a mid-iron.

The big downside as I see it is when my driver does behave I can shoot 6-8 shots under my handicap. But it'll only happen 2-3 times a year.

I feel with the driving iron my scores will be more consistent but I don't think I'll be able to shoot as low but maybe low enough more regularly to get me into single figures.

So i think I'm going to bench the driver for now, but boy am I going to miss smashing one out the middle every once in a blue moon.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk

Re: No Driver - Maybe

I haven't had a driver for years now. 3wood at best, and even hybrid if that doesn't work ... shot best round of year (74, 2 over) hitting hybrid only off the tee.

Assistant Pro

Gave up my driver 6 months ago! 3 wood and 21* hybrid! way more fairways hit and similar distance 210-220 off tee. Perfect for me, cant see myself ever going back

Journeyman Pro

I use the driver selectively where I play, at most on 10 of the holes, mainly because a 3 wood gives me all the distance I need, not necessarily because I am straighter with it.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Assistant Pro

You got to do what works for you if Im driving well I score well. Ive learnt if the driver doesnt behave its 3 wood ,hybrid or a 4 iron off the tee pointless battling with it .i been driving the ball better than I ever have lately and got confidence with it again and Ill be honest it makes the game so much easier if you can drive the ball well especially in the current conditions .
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

Have to be honest, golf just wouldn't be as much fun without a driver in the bag. I have recently started hitting a 3 iron off tighter tees where I absolutely need to be straight, which worked well, but that's probably only around 3 holes on my course. Still hitting the driver 8 or 9 times.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Funny you should mention this as I got my Ping Eye 2 + 1 iron out of the shed this afternoon and hit it well this evening. It felt like my girlfriend in my teens coming back to me!

It actually didn't look that low lofted and hard to hit. The flight is a bit low (I guess due to lower spin rates of balls these days) but the 'miss', whilst further back is still playable. Wow, does it roll out atm!

So the hybrid is out of the bag for the time being.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    I use the driver selectively where I play, at most on 10 of the holes, mainly because a 3 wood gives me all the distance I need, not necessarily because I am straighter with it.
    if you're hitting it 10 times, you're only leaving it out 4 times in reality.

What do you do if the driving iron starts playing up, swap to the 3 or 4 iron?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    What do you do if the driving iron starts playing up, swap to the 3 or 4 iron?
    Haven't had that problem to deal with yet, but if I'm struggling to hit the driving iron I'm probably dropping back down to a 6 or 7i. I seem to hit my irons really consistently.

Honestly wish I could get the driver working. Tried pretty much everything over the past 5 years. I know how to hit a driver and have had many lessons with different pro's and practised endlessly. At best it might work for a round or 2 then falls apart again. I just can't consistently execute. It seems more a mental block for me now.

I still plan to keep working on the driver on the range, maybe the break from it on the course will help.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk