Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump and NATO

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: Trump and NATO

His post NATO summit press conference this morning - worth listening to - full of deflection, evasion (mostly when he clearly didn't understand the question), dissembling, exaggeration, disingenuousness, self-promotion and more than one wee porky...

And before damning that assessment, note that the US SoS (Pompeo) immediately tried to change and temper expectations in respect of Trump's claim that deals were done around NATO funding - by telling the press that there was much still to be done.

And half hour after the close of the press conference President Macron has stated that absolutely no new deals or commitments were made in discussions with Trump over defense spending - despite Trump claims that such agreement by NATO countries had been given. And despite all the bluster he spouts to his constituency in the US, Trump never mentioned once in the meetings anything whatsoever about the US leaving NATO (which is a good thing - but not the hard line that Trump puts to his constituency in the US).

https://abcnews.go.com/International...mands-56532145

Of course the Trump cultists in the states will take Trump's word as gospel (I really shouldn't use religious allusions in respect of Trump as there is very little Christian about Trump; his words and his actions); and by taking his words as the truth - those of Macron will have to be lies and evidence of NATO sneakiness, untrustworthiness and shirking of responsibilities.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how the UK defence will work once we get our country back.
    Without the USA and the EU I would say that we will be quite lonely.
    Different thread, same repetition and lack of understanding.... Some members of NATO are not in the EU. Some members of the EU are not in NATO. By Jove!

Still thinking someone has two GM accounts
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    Different thread, same repetition and lack of understanding.... Some members of NATO are not in the EU. Some members of the EU are not in NATO. By Jove!

I think that it is Trump who might believe the the EU countries are those that comprise the European countries of NATO. By his various statements (though confused and contradictory) Trump it would seem would like to see the EU broken up on the grounds that that would undermine the integrity of NATO.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    NATO invoked Article 5 for the first time in its history after the 9/11 terrorist attacks against the United States - and servicemen from NATO allies of the USA lost their lives on the back of that.

The words of the Democratic party Senator and the vote in the Senate do not suggest a huge weakness to the whims of the President.

Many US commentators and the Senator also pointed out how the US's allies contribute in other ways to NATO other than through the 2% target - the fact that European countries will host and support US military installations was not lost on the Senator. As he said...

"...is in the US national interest and not because other countries are paying us for protection. We must look at the whole picture of allied contributions to the NATO operations"
    Perhaps the Senator needs reminding that the host nation charges for those military installations and the revenue that the bases bought into the local area is massive. One area where there was a major British installation is now suffering with many of its service providers closing down
    H4H Handicap Challenge v backwoodsman start HC 20H4H Challenge v Khamelionwww.therebutnotthere.org.uk

Which might seem logical but is an anathema to anti-EU ideologues and many who voted to leave the EU - even though at the same time they will be supporting Trump's view of NATO and it's non-value. I believe this sort of thinking is called cognitive dissonance.
    Now I get it, yet another thread started so you spout off about the EU. I thought this thread was about Trumpmand NATO.
    H4H Handicap Challenge v backwoodsman start HC 20H4H Challenge v Khamelionwww.therebutnotthere.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Correct about what? Other NATO members not put the same amount of money in, but they give the US free use of military establishments across Europe giving them the ability to have a strategic frontline this side of the world. Without that what will they do??
    Im not sure where you got this idea but it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how the UK defence will work once we get our country back.
    Without the USA and the EU I would say that we will be quite lonely.
    Thats no surprise, you seem to have little knowledge about NATO either. One of the largest NATO force within NATO so what has NATO to do with the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    Different thread, same repetition and lack of understanding...
    Been fairly obvious for over a year now.

I think that it is Trump who might believe the the EU countries are those that comprise the European countries of NATO. By his various statements (though confused and contradictory) Trump it would seem would like to see the EU broken up on the grounds that that would undermine the integrity of NATO.
    Which is exactly what would happen if the EU had its own army. If you have any knowledge of military matters cast your mind back to what happened on the Yugoslavian pinninsula when NATO troops were under the UN and in the end ditched the blue berets and operated under NATO rules of engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Been fairly obvious for over a year now.

,,can mods confirm from IP Address?
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"