Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump and NATO

Re: Trump and NATO

I was watching CNN last night and they spoke to an economic expert. HE showed how what the US is spending is saving them even more money. The ability to use military establishments across Europe and the support that is given by other NATO countries is key to the US having strategic control around the world. How will they get their fast jets across to the middle east? I know from being in the RAF the cost that was involved in transiting Tornado F3s in and out of the Falklands.

When the USAF move aircraft they use air to air refueling from their tankers based in Europe. You can't even get to the UK from the US without refueling at least once, let alone to the middle east, that would take probably 3 in flight refuels. Now they would have to start paying other Air Forces to help them which would cost them a fortune.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    I don't recall a thread along similar lines when Obama criticised the other NATO members for not meeting the 2% target and when he called them complacent for failing to meet the target - not a whimper then about all the other contributions European countries make to NATO. Or when he suggested that if Greece during the height of its' problems could meet the target then other countries should as well. Or when he called European states "free riders" for wanting America to act in North Africa without as he put it putting any "skin in the game".

But I guess that because it's Trump some people aren't happy. Looks almost as though it's a case of playing the man not the ball, something which is very prevalent on the forum in general.
    Because Obama was never as critical and dismissive of NATO as a concept as Trump is. For Trump it's not all about the money - it's about the very existence of NATO - an organisation only in place as far as he is concerned so that Europe can shirk it's responsibilities and rely upon the US for it's defence.

The Senator was scathing of Trump. And the Senate voted 97:2 in support of the motion.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Tour Rookie

Germany and others have had a free ride . Brexit and Nato are fundamentally different arrangements.

Trump is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by drdel View Post
    Germany and others have had a free ride . Brexit and Nato are fundamentally different arrangements.

Trump is correct.
    Correct about what? Other NATO members not put the same amount of money in, but they give the US free use of military establishments across Europe giving them the ability to have a strategic frontline this side of the world. Without that what will they do??

Canít believe it, I made some absolutely world changing comments in that Trump thread and its gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    Canít believe it, I made some absolutely world changing comments in that Trump thread and its gone now.
    I believe you were quoted in Brussels today 😁. Gone but not forgotten.

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tashyboy View Post
    ER without stating the obvious, the people of this fine nation voted to get out of the EU. So how do you envisage us being in summat ( an eu army ) when we want to get out of it.
    I have absolutely no idea how the UK defence will work once we get our country back.
    Without the USA and the EU I would say that we will be quite lonely.

So....you have to be in the EU to be part of NATO......??
    When did USA join the EU?
    Why should anything change?
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.8 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how the UK defence will work once we get our country back.
    Without the USA and the EU I would say that we will be quite lonely.
    EU has nothing to do with the UK defence

The UK defence will carry on working as it does within NATO

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Correct about what? Other NATO members not put the same amount of money in, but they give the US free use of military establishments across Europe giving them the ability to have a strategic frontline this side of the world. Without that what will they do??
    exactly what the Senator was saying - a view supported 97:2 by US Senators. I struggle that so many in the UK seem to disagree with the US Senate....

What the Senate is worried about is the way that Trump was ignoring many of the other ways European countries support the US in NATO - and using that deliberate ignorance/misunderstanding to focus on the 2% and use that to undermine NATO - making the US's NATO allies worry about the sanctity and inviolability of Article 5 as he sucks up to the despot Putin.

And Trump's cultish supporters in the US hear Trump criticise and undermine NATO and individual countries, and these supporters believe his rhetoric and builds up resentment with NATO. What Trump says is the truth - regardless of whether or not it actually is - and ignoring the fact that - by his own words and out of his own mouth - Trump is a PROVEN liar - someone who truly cannot be trusted. And the Senate recognise and share concerns with their NATO allies over what Trump will be saying 1:1 with Putin.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 12-Jul-2018 at 09:45.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done