Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to work with a pro when you donít

...want a swing change.

Iíve been put off going to a pro for lessons for the following reason. Iím following a YouTube instructor (Mike Malaska), and donít want to deviate from his instruction.

The problem is itís YouTube and I donít get any analysis of my own swing. Obviously I canít get the pro to teach me Mikes swing philosophy. So what are ways around this? How do I get the most out of a lesson whilst keeping in line with what Iím already trying to learn and practice?

Primarily I want to know where my misses and inconsistencies come from so I can recognise and correct them when Iím on my on. I donít mind taking on tips and corrections, but what I donít want is to have the pro try teach me a new swing or anything that is too contradictory to what Iím learning.

Re: How to work with a pro when you donít

Tell him what you have just said. It is your lesson.

I've been before for a lesson on a single club, one shot and was clear that was all I wanted to work on, nothing else. Pro was happy, he had clear instructions.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26į Hybrid, Ping G25 23į Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Tell him what you have just said. It is your lesson.

I've been before for a lesson on a single club, one shot and was clear that was all I wanted to work on, nothing else. Pro was happy, he had clear instructions.
    My perception is that itíd be harder than that. lol. Are they usually quite flexible like that?

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    My perception is that itíd be harder than that. lol. Are they usually quite flexible like that?
    Ha ha, depends on your pro. I get your point, they may scoff at what you are doing. However I would make this clear before the booking. If they start to question your approach then don't book the lesson with them. If they get what you are trying to do then book away.

I have perhaps not gone with something as different as you are doing but I have usually gone with a specific problem and the pro has usually just stuck to that, not tried to change everything. At the end of the day it is your money, your lesson. If they want you to go back again, and they will, they need to follow what you ask for. You are the customer, don't forget that.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26į Hybrid, Ping G25 23į Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Journeyman Pro

I think the way to do it is to have the lesson with the pro, he'll identify the issues that you've got, and then you can watch Mike Malaska's YouTube instruction on dealing with the issues that have been identified.

As a general rule, I don't see there being that many wholly different theories on how to swing a club, the number of different explanations and videos out there are more to do with how different people go about explaining the feeling of doing it the right way.

The pro might provide you with a very helpful feeling, but if you choose to ignore it and revert to a Mike Malaska drill then that's up to you. It won't mean the lesson has been wasted by any stretch.
    Handicap: 12

Q-School Graduate

Do you have a way of contacting this you tube coach?

Some coaches now do online lessons - you video them some swings to analyse and they send you an analysis video back using hudl or similar

Failing that, it really depends on the coach. I wouldn't advocate making any bug changes during the season. Some coaches will help tweak one small thing whilst others will be full steam ahead making wholesale changes if they only teach one method / one way to swing

I've had lessons off a few different pros, all have had a different way of teaching, but fundamentally the approach has been very similar. What puts me off going back to someone, is when the person you are seeing starts to criticise one of their peers for the way they teach and thinks their way is best.

As LT wrote, a pro that will listen to your requirements and formulate a lesson around them and being able to accommodate their way of doing things into the lesson so that you don't even notice that you are changing something is what you are after, but you need to make it known up front.

The coach may spot a fundamental issue in your swing which needs fixing before you worry about whatever you think you are working on.

If you want a lesson, get one, but there is no point if all you want him to do is tell you how close you are to a video.

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post

Primarily I want to know where my misses and inconsistencies come from so I can recognise and correct them when Iím on my on. I donít mind taking on tips and corrections, but what I donít want is to have the pro try teach me a new swing or anything that is too contradictory to what Iím learning.
    What is the problem, contact or direction?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Rookie

I know where you are coming from to an extent. The issue with this is making sure you understand and do exactly what you are being told, even if it sounds wrong.
    I can speak from first hand as for 5 years now I've been working on the 1 Plane Swing. Read the book numerous times by Jim Hardy and watched videos. It was only after I had a lesson with a 1 Plane certified coach who told me how much I had misunderstood things.
    The trouble with this game, for me at least, is what your brain tells you to do is wrong.
    The more most important thing is to find a coach who will teach the principals that Mike Malaska does.