Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ball testing

Journeyman Pro

Re: ball testing

If it is a normal round where you have to play one ball only choose holes which are similar and play your normal ball on one hole and the trial ball on another.

Putting- it is easy to try out on the practice green similarly chipping and pitching if you have the facilities.

If you usually play DX2 soft remember you are not quite comparing like for like as the Project A is a 3 piece ball.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

I would have thought a lot of this is about feel. You are not off scratch so you are not judging the ball in terms of draw, fade, back spin etc.

How does it feel off the club face, does it sound nice, does it feel good?

Do your distances drop off, are they the same, do they increase?

Does the ball go higher / lower, does it spin more ie slice or hook?

Does it feel okay off the putter?

That is what I would be looking for. As a higher h/c the test is less scientific as inevitably you will not repeat your shots as frequently. As someone has already said, if they wanted that they would stick with a robot. You are human, give human answers. Enjoy, sounds fun.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. To be honest, I don't care much about what Taylormade or the GolfPost magazine expect me to do or say (apart from following their guidelines about how often and where I committed to give my feedback). I am not doing this for them. I am doing this for myself and also for my (few yet very nice and loyal) social media followers. Every time I watch a ball testing vid, even when it is done by some of my favourite YouTubers like Peter Finch, Rick Shiels or the like, I can't help but thinking that they are pretty pointless. Rick Shiels is probably doing the best ones, to be honest, because he collects the same kind of data for every ball he tests, making them as comparable as possible.

The main question I am trying to answer is: can I tell this specific ball apart from another model in a kind of blind test, so when I don't know which ball I am hitting at that moment. Because if I am honest, as long as I don't take a really hard cheap marble like a range ball, I don't feel any difference usually. Especially not when putting. Not even when I use a 3piece urethane covered ball like the ChromeSoft or proV against a 2piece Ethylen covered distance model like the Srixon SoftFeel or the Wilson DX2 soft. But I never systematically tested this. Like after putting with two different balls 20 times each and paying a lot of attention to the feel, if I were then to white out the labels with a white marker, could I afterwards tell them apart just by the feel? Same for chipping and pitching and maybe even for full shots.

I can test them on our practice course, which is basically a 6 hole par 3 course without any bunkers or hazards. There is normally not much going on there and I should be able to play two different balls from the same position for each shot, for example, or even just repeat the same shot six times, three times with one ball model and three times with the other. It is even possible to use it as a kind of driving range but retrieve the balls later. Playing a round with two different balls on the main course is harder to do, usually there is too much traffic for that. But maybe in the evening I could give that a try as well.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25 Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I just received an email that I have been chosen as a tester for Taylormade Project(s) balls for a German online magazine. Basically I will receive a dozen balls for free and am expected to post about my experience with them on my twitter and YouTube channel and maybe in my blog as well as in their online community. I want to take this seriously and not just play the balls during my usual rounds, but also really compare them to the balls I usually play (the Wilson DX2 soft). Given that I don't have access to a launch monitor and I am really far from being a robot when it comes to hitting balls, any ideas for some repeatable tests I can put the balls through?

I am thinking things like chipping or pitching to a certain landing spot and see how much rollout I get from there. Comparing driving distances I can do as well (as I have posted a while ago, my drive seems to be the most consistent shot in my bag). Other ideas for tests a high handicapper can do without making it completely random?
    I've done a few on my youtube channel and like you don't have access to launch monitor data so simply tested on the course and picked a par three, four and five, filmed me playing the holes and using the balls and gave my thoughts. Not done one in a while so these examples are a bit raw and unrefined but may give you some ideas

https://youtu.be/QDdKKBxgtCY

https://youtu.be/Mn8EV4adqNU

https://youtu.be/L1ybfzxDZWg

Money List Winner

If you have a putter insert you probably won't get the same level of feedback - I would say feel but the reality is that the audio message we get contributes far more than any feedback to the hands!

Just play it and draw your own conclusions
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    If you have a putter insert you probably won't get the same level of feedback - I would say feel but the reality is that the audio message we get contributes far more than any feedback to the hands!
    Spinal Tap turned up to 11 on the Walkman whilst putting somewhat reduces any audible feedback you might get.
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    Spinal Tap turned up to 11 on the Walkman whilst putting somewhat reduces any audible feedback you might get.
    Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3...

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3...

Well...the OP was talking about playing on his 6 hole par 3 course or on the main course during the evening when it was quiet.....nothing about a stipulated round.

Interestingly....the draft version of the 2019 rules (as of March 2019) says this...

(4) Audio and Video.
    Allowed.

Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).

But in doing so, consideration should be shown to others (see Rule 1.2).

Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Q-School Graduate

Great. Earphones will be on in comps next year when I'm drawn with certain loudmouths 🙉🎧

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Great. Earphones will be on in comps next year when I'm drawn with certain loudmouths 
    That does not mean you can wear ear defenders