Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnoustie?

Assistant Pro

Carnoustie?

What makes Carnoustie Links so hard compared to other links ?all Iím hearing is itís the ultimate test of golf .
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

Re: Carnoustie?

Never played it, most likely never will, but I'm up there Friday and Saturday, really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpfather1 View Post
    What makes Carnoustie Links so hard compared to other links ?all Iím hearing is itís the ultimate test of golf .
    Perhaps people are still scarred by the Paul Lawrie Open which beat quite a few up.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26į Hybrid, Ping G25 23į Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Well Bunkered with quite a few OOB and a tough last 4 holes esp with a prevailing wind

I've played it twice. The front 9 isn't too hard but the last 5 or 6 holes are extremely difficult for the pros especially if it's windy.

16. A par 3 that can be 250 yards if the pin is up the back to a narrow green that the ball easily runs off.

17. Crazy hole with water crossing it back and forth. Green is hidden pretty much behind a hill too. This will be a very long second shot into the wind or if they hit their ball left or right to avoid water.

18. Similar to 17 with the addition of an OOB close to the left side of the green.

You can download the open film on sky sports catch up if you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    I've played it twice. The front 9 isn't too hard but the last 5 or 6 holes are extremely difficult for the pros especially if it's windy.

16. A par 3 that can be 250 yards if the pin is up the back to a narrow green that the ball easily runs off.

17. Crazy hole with water crossing it back and forth. Green is hidden pretty much behind a hill too. This will be a very long second shot into the wind or if they hit their ball left or right to avoid water.

18. Similar to 17 with the addition of an OOB close to the left side of the green.

You can download the open film on sky sports catch up if you have it.
    Rick Shiels has done a video of this hole, playing it 4 times on 4 different days with different pins etc. Worth a watch to see how tough it is for him, let alone us Sunday hackers!
    Srixon Clubs. Puma Wardrobe. and a Smile on my face!

The back 9 really tests your golfing abilities. Every hole you will find yourself fighting against OOBs, burns, thick rough and deep bunkers. Doesn't take much to find yourself running a big score up. Only played it once and there was not a lot of wind, enough to play it's part, but nothing crazy. But I can imagine that course becomes a monster when that wind starts blowing across it.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Assistant Pro

Same as any links then all depends on the wind anything offline is really punished
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

Journeyman Pro

First time I played it I was 2 under at the turn....then it went very pear shaped. It's long, can be very long and holes by the oob can really hurt you. The back half is brutal possibly only 3 holes that aren't that tough but the closing 3 are the toughest closing holes I've probably ever played.

Many years since I played it but got beaten up properly the 2 times I did. Played better than the prev day at St Andrews and was 15 shots worse the first time (yes the conditions were very different)

For me it was a stunningly brutal test of your game, every mistake you got penalised for but good shots were still rewarded. Long, felt narrower than it probably was and some excellent bunkering. Excellent greens too
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7