Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnoustie?

Assistant Pro

Re: Carnoustie?

Sounds good should be a good watch with the open
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

I know it's the obvious line in golf, but you got to keep it on the short stuff. If I played it again I would just hit lots of irons off the tees. Prefer to tackle a long shot into the green knowing I have more chance of still making par from the green side bunker than the fairway bunkers or rough.

Q-School Graduate

Undoubtedly a brutal test of every aspect of the game

What did those who've played it think of it - always looks a bit of an ugly duckling compared to many of the other Open rota courses

For example I'm desperate to play St.A, Birkdale, Turnberry but never really had the urge to either spectate or play at Carnoustie

Journeyman Pro

There was a guy on here a couple months ago from the states going to play a load of links courses in the area but was going to miss out Carnoustie due to cost, myself and a couple others hopefully talked him in to it but no update since.

If it was calm most of the time I'd pick there over most courses I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post

What did those who've played it think of it - always looks a bit of an ugly duckling compared to many of the other Open rota courses

For example I'm desperate to play St.A, Birkdale, Turnberry but never really had the urge to either spectate or play at Carnoustie
    Having a links ticket for 5 years I played St. Andrews hundreds of times, only went Carnoustie once though. But I definitely though it was a harder course even though I don't think it was as nice looking.

I found carnoustie one of best all round tests of golf I have played.

Ryder Cup Winner

The OOB's look very intimidating, especially if it is windy.
    Not a fan of courses with loads of OOB's.

Certainly not the most 'pretty' of our links Championship courses, not many views, seldom see the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post

Played it a few times and always enjoyed it. a fair test and even if you are wild you can generally still find the ball unless its in the gorse. a real keep it in play course. I have managed to shoot low scores a couple of times and one of those was right off the back tee. There are a few holes before the turn that are quite unlinks like. 16,17 and 18 are the key though. last time i took driver off 16 and was still way short, 17 was a drive over the burn and a flick with a wedge and 18 was driver, 3 wood, hybrid to just short

Played it twice, love it. Quite straightforward early on, and itís possible to get up on the card before the difficult closing holes. I found 17 nigh on impossible but had no bother with the others.
    Give it big humpties

Birdied the 5th. Doddle!
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

I'm playing it in August - can't wait! Hoping to get my game in better shape by then, I've only hit a ball once in the last 6 weeks (work and hols and work). I'm guessing that won't do
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4h Adams A7OS
    5i - 9i Mizuno MP54
    46, 50, 54, 58* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 9.4