Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Money List Winner

Re: Out of Bounds very close to track

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I can do that deliberately? I can absolutely see how I could claim I'd hit a wood were the track not there - and then use that club to go back down the track to the point where I can take a stance with the ball inbounds. And mark the position (against the fence) as my NPR. I can then drop inside (a little closer to the track) and 'then' choose to play a shorter shafted club.

That seems to imply - taking this scenario - that after I have dropped my ball closer to the track it is not a valid drop if I have to stand on the track to address the ball? It is only a valid drop if I take a shorter shafted club with which to address it.

Is the relief over as soon as the ball is dropped and comes to rest within one club length and not nearer the hole. So if I then address the ball standing on the track I am in a NEW relief situation,
    I knew I was confusing this a little much - and the way I've worded things above is wrong as well! Which doesn't help. Comes of trying to respond to fully to all aspects.

Under rule 24 when dropped the ball must land at a point on the course that (amongst other things) must comply with the relief requirement. However, if it rolls nearer the track you would have the option of accepting it, modifying your stance or switching to a shorter club as long as you aren't standing on the track.

Dealing with your last part; yes and no!

If, for example, you are dropping with an 8 iron (maybe a tree ahead of track lie) then if it's a legal drop when it hits the course but rolls such that you would be standing on the track you would 're drop - if it did it again you would place. At this point the relief is over. (If at this point your stance with an 8 iron has you standing on the track it was not a legalmdrop! However, if it's now reasonable to take a 3 wood (for whatever reason) and that pits you back standing on the track it's a new relief situation...

Rule 20 is your reference
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    I think you are getting there....

Without (hopefully, fingers crossed etc) confusing things; if you had decided that the appropriate stroke from the path would have been with a 3 wood, you might drop slightly inside the fence and switch to a shorter club, or modify your natural stance, both of which would have to enable you to still keep your stance clear of the obstruction.
    This is incorrect in that the ball must first strike the course at a point that the relief requirements fornthe 3 wood are met fully. It can however roll nearer the track and you can choose tonplaay it with a shorter club and/or modified stance such that you aren't standing on the track...
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    This is incorrect in that the ball must first strike the course at a point that the relief requirements fornthe 3 wood are met fully. It can however roll nearer the track and you can choose tonplaay it with a shorter club and/or modified stance such that you aren't standing on the track...
    haha - many thanks Duncan - such considerations for something seemingly so simple
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done