Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Re: RAF centenary flypast

Quote Originally Posted by tugglesf239 View Post
    The Vulcan Flew over my old gaff a few years ago. One of the last flights but not the actual last flight.

Iím sure he hit the Ďbrown noteí in the revs (Liverpool Phil could possibly explain more?)
    Basically the jets screams when a certain RPM is hit. I think itís an anomaly and no one is quite sure why the sound changes so much?

Jesus I nearly hit the deck. Unbelievable sound. Like a tyranasurus shouting down your ear drum.

Iíll happly rip the baby service as Iíve done my time on the grey funnel line.

Iíll admit it gets the goosebumps up when you hear the crabfats giving it maxy chat in the mechanical budgies though.

Makes you bloody proud.
    I wasnít an aircraft engineer unfortunately but I know what you mean about the engine noise especially from the Olympus engines

But from what I can remember being told - the engine was always very high pitched roar but when you saw it flying towards you it seemed very silent and just gliding towards you and then as soon as it was just overhead you heard the almighty roar and it seemed like it changes pitch as it gets right above you - just make your hair stand up , donít think I have witnessed a sound like it - love the Vulcan

The RAF are the babies but they were the missing part of the triangle

Great to see crab air enjoying themselves yesterday, put on a great show.

Also good to see they managed to fly over the right place
    H4H Handicap Challenge v backwoodsman start HC 20H4H Challenge v Khamelionwww.therebutnotthere.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I wasnít an aircraft engineer unfortunately but I know what you mean about the engine noise especially from the Olympus engines

But from what I can remember being told - the engine was always very high pitched roar but when you saw it flying towards you it seemed very silent and just gliding towards you and then as soon as it was just overhead you heard the almighty roar and it seemed like it changes pitch as it gets right above you - just make your hair stand up , donít think I have witnessed a sound like it - love the Vulcan

The RAF are the babies but they were the missing part of the triangle
    Iíve been buzzed by plenty of military aircraft in my time.

The noise the Vulcan made was possibly the most fearsome and impressive sound Iíve ever heard.

I canít imagine the fear it must have instilled in the Argey conscripts keeping the middle watch at Port Stanley. The sound of the HE ordinance popping was probably secondary to the scream of the turbines.

Poor buggers. Lol

Journeyman Pro

As a RAF Brat, it gives me pride to see the fly past. The RAF was a big part of my life growing up.

Disappointing to not see the Vulcan there, due to it being grounded, but as people have said, the roar/whine is immense. Saw it on its last flight, and it was still so graceful. I remember being told about the Vulcan flying to the US, as they were waxing lyrical about their new radar system. The first the US knew about the Vulcan was when it popped up over their coastline and waved to say hello. My dad blames the Vulcan for his tinnitus when he was at Scampton and had 4 take off in very quick succession, when he wasn't too far away

I would still say that the Merlin engine is still the best engine note of any military plane. Just something about it when Spits and Lancs fly by
    Wabey
    Titleist 917 D3 Driver | Ping G 3 Wood | Ping G 5 Wood | Mizuno MP-650 Hybrid | Mizuno JPX-900 Forged | Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges | Edel E-3 Putter
    Thetford Golf Club, Norfolk
    @MattWabe

Quote Originally Posted by Wabinez View Post

I would still say that the Merlin engine is still the best engine note of any military plane. Just something about it when Spits and Lancs fly by

With this I fully agree... Can't really call myself an RAF 'brat'... But Dad did fly Lancaster's, when he served in Bomber Command, doing his 'bit' in WW2... With its current limited flying hours I am always pleased when I can get to see the Lancaster overhead...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...