Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf workout

Club Champion

Re: Golf workout

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post
    Got my wires crossed as I thought you were talking about bodybuilders not weightlifters so apologies.

Lifting weights in itself won't cause inflexibility that is correct with some rather large caveats. If you have full range of motion on your reps when you are training, recover properly and know what you are doing in general terms then you will be fine.

If you are your average Joe at the gym with poor form or at least not great form, with limited range of motion for your reps you can definitely "shorten" your muscles. Obviously weight lifters are very strong and powerful it is a sport designed for it. But the type of power and strength is not necessarily what you want in other sports.

I am a big advocate of sport specific training. Weight lifters are obviously geared for a few lifts of very heavy weights for competition. Golfers have to make multiple closed skilled swing using multiple muscle groups. A training regimen geared towards weightlifting could easily result in muscle fatigue later on in the round.

Also saying that weightlifters are powerful doesn't necessarily translate into weightlifting is the best way to get powerful. Such as elite runners are incredibly fit but running marathons is not the most efficient way of getting fit.

Looking at other sports where people have huge amount of power but can repeat for longer periods like rugby, football, basketball although weight training does take up a big part of their fitness they don't follow the same programme as a weight lifter does. Simply because their sports are geared towards different things.

Greater strength will result in greater power, but you can get greater power without increasing muscles mass significantly. Plyometrics are the best way to increase dynamic power.

I am currently training under a Harlequins Strength and Conditioning coach.
    IN rugby we see a lot of massive gym monkeys who are great for 20 minutes but we all know that they are going to run out of puff quite quickly because they haven't trained so that their muscles can operate at continual high output
    Mind telling which one? I know quite a few of them. If you don't want to name them here, feel free to send a PM.

Club Champion

Anyway, back to the topic, I wouldn't train a golfer like a weightlifter, but I would include some weightlifting in golf training.

Assuming skill practice is taking place already, at I high level I would base a golfers training around weightlifting for strength and power, postural strength exercises, plyometrics and low-intensity cardio (HIIT is a good tool, but a golf round demands a few hours of low intensity).

Specific mobility drils are overrated for the msot part, providing your strength training incorpoerates appropriate range of motion. The best way to get mobile is to work in that range of motion, rather than excessive mobility and rolling etc.. Quinn Henoch explains this really well, and has a good approach to this.

For those who say just practice and play golf, for a beginner this will work, but there is a reason the latest generation of pros have ridiculous clubhead speed. You still have to hit the centre of the clubface, but all strikes being equal, the more athletic faster swinger will shoot lower more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
    Anyway, back to the topic, I wouldn't train a golfer like a weightlifter, but I would include some weightlifting in golf training.

Assuming skill practice is taking place already, at I high level I would base a golfers training around weightlifting for strength and power, postural strength exercises, plyometrics and low-intensity cardio (HIIT is a good tool, but a golf round demands a few hours of low intensity).

Specific mobility drils are overrated for the msot part, providing your strength training incorpoerates appropriate range of motion. The best way to get mobile is to work in that range of motion, rather than excessive mobility and rolling etc.. Quinn Henoch explains this really well, and has a good approach to this.

For those who say just practice and play golf, for a beginner this will work, but there is a reason the latest generation of pros have ridiculous clubhead speed. You still have to hit the centre of the clubface, but all strikes being equal, the more athletic faster swinger will shoot lower more often than not.
    I think we are pretty much in agreement lol, just hijacking the thread for a more detailed argument.

My suggestions were based on the assumption of time limits most people have and the OP probably doesn't want to be spending hours woking out.

So I suggested HIIT as you can get a good cardio workout done and dusted on 10 minutes.

Compound lifts rather than isolating muscles just to save time.

And core to channel it. For all of our massive posts I think we are pretty much singing from the save hymn sheet.

Obviously if the OP has more time and the inclination he could have a much more rigorous routine.

Coach is Andy down at quins

Q-School Graduate

I'd like to see 2 amateurs off single figure hcp's do an experiment over 12 months.
    One of them play once a week and do 3 good gym sessions, the other play once a week and do 3 good practice sessions, after 12 months see who is playing the better golf?

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ademac View Post
    I'd like to see 2 amateurs off single figure hcp's do an experiment over 12 months.
    One of them play once a week and do 3 good gym sessions, the other play once a week and do 3 good practice sessions, after 12 months see who is playing the better golf?
    It would make a very good Golf Monthly magazine article as well. I am sure if GM offered a couple of players an opportunity they would jump at it.

Club Champion

What about a 3rd one who does 1 1/2 of each?

It's not binary.

Tour Rookie

At my age 3 rounds a week is my workout

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
    What about a 3rd one who does 1 1/2 of each?

It's not binary.
    That would be interesting too.
    I think its clear though that good quality golf practice is better at improving an amateur players game than gym work is and not just at beginner level.

Assistant Pro

Stronglifts 5x5.

Give it a Google.

Club Champion

That would be interesting too.
    I think its clear though that good quality golf practice is better at improving an amateur players game than gym work is and not just at beginner level.
    Serious question, in what way is it clear?
    I thought most studies show that even with new equipment, whilst professional scores have dropped significantly, the average amateur handicap remains the same.

I would suggets that the most improvement and longevity in the game will come from a balance of both skills practice and beingphysically fit.