Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Golf workout

Q-School Graduate

Re: Golf workout

It's speed that's needed. Fast hips especially.

#speedkills

(Obviously balance, flexibility, co-ordination etc are all a part of effective speed)

Quote Originally Posted by VVega View Post
    Can you advise how to put on 3kg of muscle as an “incremental” difference? ... without a lot of “supplements” and a body-builders diet?
    I did it in a month, just through regular compound lift movements and HIIT routines. Didn't take any supplements and if anything reduced my calorie intake.

I may be lucky that I do put on muscle quickly (and unlucky that I put on fat quickly too) but that is incremental
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Q-School Graduate

⬆and protein. LOTS of protein

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    ⬆and protein. LOTS of protein
    I wouldn't say I was specifically increasing my protein intake. I've always eaten plenty of protein and healthy fats but I wasn't on any eating plan designed to build muscle just a reasonably healthy diet.

I know I'm lucky and other won't build muscle as quick as me but that's my experience
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Q-School Graduate

Yep, genetics + age and T levels will always be a major factor but everyone (medical conditions aside) should be able to some degree pack on some muscle quickly if they:

Train hard & efficiently
    Eat well (plenty of protein)
    Sleep well

Tour Rookie

scanned over this and can't find an actual specific workout.... I'm lazy (perhaps not a good start) so can someone put up a typical 3 day routine which OP (and I) can follow at the gym?
    In My Bag: Golf Clubs

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    scanned over this and can't find an actual specific workout.... I'm lazy (perhaps not a good start) so can someone put up a typical 3 day routine which OP (and I) can follow at the gym?
    Unfortunately there is no typical for a couple of reasons:

1) It depends on your current condition, someone flexible but weak would follow a different plan from someone who is stiff, but very strong.

2) Workouts don't stay the same forever, you need to periodise and follow phases. For example, in developing power, you would first develop a base of strength, then turn that into raw power, and then learn to apply that powe rin a golf specific way. Same with getting a bigger turn, first you develop the range of motion, then you learn to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
    Unfortunately there is no typical for a couple of reasons:

1) It depends on your current condition, someone flexible but weak would follow a different plan from someone who is stiff, but very strong.

2) Workouts don't stay the same forever, you need to periodise and follow phases. For example, in developing power, you would first develop a base of strength, then turn that into raw power, and then learn to apply that powe rin a golf specific way. Same with getting a bigger turn, first you develop the range of motion, then you learn to use it.
    What he said.

I could give you a gym routine but if you don't know the movements and aren't already at a certain level it could cause you injury, or alternatively if you are already fairly advanced then it would be boring and wouldn't add much for you.

Also depends what you are looking for, golf specific, general fitness, want to get bigger, shed weight etc

One thing I have seen in the gym and in sports is that a lot of guys including myself don't do enough for flexibility regardless of what routine they are on, warm up properly cool down properly as a minimum