Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf workout

Journeyman Pro

Re: Golf workout

Quote Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
    Serious question, in what way is it clear?
    I thought most studies show that even with new equipment, whilst professional scores have dropped significantly, the average amateur handicap remains the same.

I would suggets that the most improvement and longevity in the game will come from a balance of both skills practice and beingphysically fit.
    Think it’s the average!
    Most pros are good so an average of them is still good!
    Most ams are wildly apart in skill so all the bad ones override the good ones.

You have to be reasonably fit for golf there have been exceptions in pro level Stadler, Aphibarnrat don’t look fit but I bet they are in golf terms.

Take a Sumo wrestler they are big lads but very flexible, I might aim for this look.

Are there any golf specific workouts out there , there must be.
    Off to YouTube to have a look.
    Last edited by clubchamp98; 10-Jul-2018 at 17:25.

Q-School Graduate

Serious question, in what way is it clear?
    I thought most studies show that even with new equipment, whilst professional scores have dropped significantly, the average amateur handicap remains the same.

I would suggets that the most improvement and longevity in the game will come from a balance of both skills practice and beingphysically fit.
    'Most studies' show averages to be fair mate and can easily be manipulated etc etc.
    Not really here to/have time to have an online debate at the minute, need to put the kids to bed, but I would say that its clear to an overwhelming majority of decent amateur golfers that practice is much more important than Gym work.
    Of course you need a reasonable level of fitness but gym work isnt that important to 99% of amateur golfers at any level.

It may count for much more at Pro level but at amateur level it doesnt.

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ademac View Post
    'Most studies' show averages to be fair mate and can easily be manipulated etc.
    Not really here to/have time to have an online debate at the minute, need to put the kids to bed, but I would say that it's clear to an overwhelming majority of decent amateur golfers that practice is much more important than Gym work.
    Of course, you need a reasonable level of fitness but gym work isn't that important to 99% of amateur golfers at any level.

It may count for much more at Pro level but at amateur level it doesnt.
    But clear in what way? It's a genuine question, it's not clear to me, so I would like to know what I am missing.

The studies may be flawed in their methodology, that's true, but surely for people to suggest the studies are wrong, there must be other evidence, rather than just peoples feelings or anecdotes.

My theory is that fitness is important, not that it replaces practice.

If you don't have the body to swing a club on plane, under control at speed etc.. You can practice all you like, but you will never be able to do what you want.

Equally, you can be the strongest, most flexible person, but if you don't develop the skills of swinging the club and controlling shots you won't get anywhere either.

The spectrum of how much of each a person needs will vary, but on the average course, most people playing could improve by being able to move their body better in some way.

I always find it strange that for a sport where a lot of people obsess over the science of their clubs, they ignore the science of how their body moves.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post
    We are also not talking about becoming a body builder, but incremental differences if the subject put on 3kg of muscle around the upper body
    Can you advise how to put on 3kg of muscle as an “incremental” difference? ... without a lot of “supplements” and a body-builders diet?

Assistant Pro

For anyone interested, James Whiltshire (previously known as Gorilla James in Crossfields videos is posting his gym routine (trying to get long drive long and also still play real golf

Here is an example: https://youtu.be/d-3zDotFaVs

With all that the key word seems to be plyometrics

Q-School Graduate

But clear in what way? It's a genuine question, it's not clear to me, so I would like to know what I am missing.

The studies may be flawed in their methodology, that's true, but surely for people to suggest the studies are wrong, there must be other evidence, rather than just peoples feelings or anecdotes.

My theory is that fitness is important, not that it replaces practice.

If you don't have the body to swing a club on plane, under control at speed etc.. You can practice all you like, but you will never be able to do what you want.

Equally, you can be the strongest, most flexible person, but if you don't develop the skills of swinging the club and controlling shots you won't get anywhere either.

The spectrum of how much of each a person needs will vary, but on the average course, most people playing could improve by being able to move their body better in some way.

I always find it strange that for a sport where a lot of people obsess over the science of their clubs, they ignore the science of how their body moves.
    I agree with pretty much everything you say in this post.
    I personally work hard on my fitness for a variety of reasons so dont think of me as somebody who isnt interested in how my body works.
    My point is that if you want to improve at golf, you have an 'average' level of fitness and you have an open schedule (as the OP seems to have), then the best way to improve for the vast majority of amateur golfers at any level is to practice your golf game (short game most importantly). It is much more effective than gym work for the vast majority of amateur golfers.
    It is clear because thats just how it is. I dont have the time or the inclination to delve through the internet dragging up old studies etc. but if you ask all the cat1 players at any club how they got to their level and maintain their level of golf do you think the answer would be
    A- practice lots
    Or
    B- lots of gym work

I would bet my house that a big MAJORITY would say A.

I'm not saying gym work is a waste of time, I love it! But what I am saying is if I personally spent more time on the practice green than in the gym I would be a better golfer.
    Its just the way it is for MOST people, obviously there are always exceptions to a rule, but in the main thats how it is and I think if MOST people were honest with themselves they would agree.

Not looking for a huge debate at all, each to their own. .......
    But I know I am right 😂😂👍

Head Pro

I think the reason for the above is that club golfers are coached to obsess about their swing and not how their body works as part of the swing. Look at the biggest difference between club and Pro golfers, it's more than likely that the pro's drive their swing through legs and core, whereas club golfers end up being very static with arm swings (not all, but a lot do).

Q-School Graduate

Lots of good suggestions

I would advicate:

Foam rolling
    Reistance bad work
    Core work (planks, bridges, lunges, squats)
    Rotational work

Loads of great exercises on the TPI site

Oh and the king of them all?
    Martial arts (kickboxing etc)

Balance, co-ordination, flexibility, explosiveness, overall fitness etc

Assistant Pro

I think the trick is a good balance of golf practice and gym time ,even if it’s a couple of cardio /light weights sessions.at the end of the day good health is everything without this you can’t play golf ,Ive always trained in the gym I’m no bodybuilder by any means but keep myself fit and it hasn’t spoilt my golf
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

For me at my age, I'm working on a little core strength but mainly using pilates and yoga at home. The gym is an alien concept to me and I'd rather use the time I'd spend there at the course working on short game or playing and learning how to make scores in real life situations