Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Golf vs Football

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    You are speaking from a football fans perspective- there will be plenty of people who will prefer to have a game of golf and enjoy that instead of the hype of the football

For some reason people seem to think that the whole country is getting washed up in all the celebrations-

If there was a Comp next Sunday then I would be playing in the Comp even if the tee off is at the same time as the final - I love sports , love watching them but love playing them more than anything else
    What if it was the CL final with Liverpool in it? Would you still prefer to play sport over watch it?

Whilst the whole country may nit be getting involved, it is quite obviously the most talked about and anticipated event in the country atm. Lots of people who don’t usually watch the football are into it now also. I’d hazard a guess 50% minimum will tune in on Sunday if we make it.
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.

One of my team is going out to watch the semi tonight, he's on-call and asked if I was staying home so he could transfer the phone, just in case. I'm not staying in, I'll be going to the range. I'll be pleased if England win and get through, but I sit on backside all day in front of a PC, blowed if I'm parking my bum in front of the TV while the weather is nice and I can be doing stuff outside.

Club Champion

I get this a lot there seems to be no capacity to accept that someone is not that fussed about football. I used to watch West Ham (yes I know not real football etc etc ) religiously every week mainly because my mates went and it was a good beer up afterwards but even then I couldn't really get into it. I then got priced out anyway and at that point I said FU and never really followed football again and I don't feel any loss at all that was over 20 years ago.

The amount of time I have had

Person: what team do you support:
    Me: No-one really I don't really follow football and not that fussed.
    Person: but you must have a home team
    Me: yes my nearest team would be ...
    Person: Oh well must have seen that goal that .... a ten minute monologue later about the football game my local team played
    Me: no sorry didn't watch it
    Person: Well you must have seen that international ... a ten minute monologue later
    Me: Nope
    Person: utter incomprehension no other topic of conversation available to them so they sidle off

Imagine if I collected 1950's American hub cabs and launched into a monologue about how great the 1957 Chevy Cap is against the Mustangs cap due to X Y Zzzzzzzz.

I will be glad if England win I really will I am just not that fussed missing the game.
    Last edited by Jasonr; 11-Jul-2018 at 14:32.

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3498 View Post
    The choice is yours. Do you want to be player or simply a spectator?
    I am a do-er rather than a watcher. Even if I am really into a sport it's OK for a bit but then I get a bit bored just watching.

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    What if it was the CL final with Liverpool in it? Would you still prefer to play sport over watch it?
    It would depend on what game was needed to be played , if a bounce game then i wouldn’t play but a match then I would if needed

Whilst the whole country may nit be getting involved, it is quite obviously the most talked about and anticipated event in the country atm. Lots of people who don’t usually watch the football are into it now also. I’d hazard a guess 50% minimum will tune in on Sunday if we make it.
    And that would make at the very least over half that didn’t watch it or care about it but then right now some can’t see past that and seem to expect that the whole country will come to a standstill

I believe that the final is on at the same time as the men’s tennis at Wimbledon- could see myself watching that depending on who is in it

But the main point is - not everyone thinks that football and the current World Cup is the only thing that people should be concerned about

Here is a perfect example

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-44782208

Being called “killjoys” because they want to protect a piece of history from damage
    Last edited by Liverpoolphil; 11-Jul-2018 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    It would depend on what game was needed to be played , if a bounce game then i wouldn’t play but a match then I would if needed

And that would make at the very least over half that didn’t watch it or care about it but then right now some can’t see past that and seem to expect that the whole country will come to a standstill

I believe that the final is on at the same time as the men’s tennis at Wimbledon- could see myself watching that depending on who is in it

But the main point is - not everyone thinks that football and the current World Cup is the only thing that people should be concerned about

Here is a perfect example

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-44782208

Being called “killjoys” because they want to protect a piece of history from damage
    I don't think most people expect the country to come to a stand still because of it. I think as per usual people are now deemed either interested or not and they have to be pro or con it.

Whilst 50% of the country may not watch it, what they all do will be varied greatly. So whilst 50% of the population do one thing, id imagine at most 10% of the rest will be doing the same thing.

From some of the things I've read, it appears it's almost bad for people to expect others to be excited by it. So whilst the op has to accept not everyone will be struggling with his initial dilemma. It's entirely more plausible that people will be in similar situations. Maybe it's not golf, maybe it's a wedding, or other prior engagement.
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.

Glad I played my match now. I won 5/4 so managed to get back to the clubhouse for the second half anyway. Millionaires golf so we whizzed round, didn't see another soul on the course. I wish it was like that on a Friday afternoon
    Handicap:

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by srixon 1 View Post
    Glad I played my match now. I won 5/4 so managed to get back to the clubhouse for the second half anyway. Millionaires golf so we whizzed round, didn't see another soul on the course. I wish it was like that on a Friday afternoon
    Silver clouds and all that ☺