Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Handicap reduction on a no return?

Question: Can you receive a handicap cut for a no return in a competition?
    I had a good card going today, but had a mare on one hole late in the back nine resulting in a no return and then proceeded to finish well. Absolutely gutted.
    The only saving grace would be if stableford adjustment counts on a N/R. The card was of course recorded on the computer with scores at each hole entered.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Re: Handicap reduction on a no return?

Yes - your Handicap is adjusted by your Stableford score so you can still get a cut

I'm always surprised how many players don't know this.
    Last weekend I played with someone who had a 10 on the first and was talking of an NR after 1 hole.
    TM dual rescue 5 R/f
    TM BURNER 3 wood r/f
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-pw
    Mizuno MP T5 54/12 Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58/4
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50 degree
    TM 880 putter
    Titleist provx
    FJ Tour Spikeless
    Handicap Start 2013 8.4<7.3[first hole in one]
    2016 7.1>6.9

Southwest King of Kings regional winner 2014
    Southwest King of Kings regional winner 2015

Thatís great, thanks.
    i knew it would be adjusted if I returned a score, just wasnít sure if the stableford adjustment was used for no returns.

Have seen many reductions from NR and DQ cards, usually surprises the player.

That is why CONGU requires your scores to continue to be recorded if you NR on one hole.
    Last edited by rosecott; 07-Jul-2018 at 17:38.

Not many people actually know it though!
    I treat every strokeplay round like a Stableford with that knowledge but will putt out for that yearly 12 that I might get on a hole!

Money List Winner

I can't help feeling that the wording used in the original post contributes to the confusion here.

If you return your scorecard for the competition you haven't made a no return.

Your scorecard may contain a no return for individual holes which, if the competition is a medal round, will result in a disqualification from the competition but your card remains acceptable for the calculation of CSS and any appropriate handicap adjustments based on the stableford score.
    A NR is a failure to return a card in a competition; and without acceptable reason (to the handicap sec) you are rewarded with an increase of 0.1 to your handicap record (as well as any other sanctions your club have in place (based on the many posts on the subject made here).

There should be advice given to every new golfer, in a medal itís OK to NR a hole. You should always try to play on and return a card if possible.

Unless you are ill or unable to play you should make your best efforts to return a card.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan

Halleluja for clause 19 ..⛳

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    I can't help feeling that the wording used in the original post contributes to the confusion here.

If you return your scorecard for the competition you haven't made a no return.

Your scorecard may contain a no return for individual holes which, if the competition is a medal round, will result in a disqualification from the competition but your card remains acceptable for the calculation of CSS and any appropriate handicap adjustments based on the stableford score.
    A NR is a failure to return a card in a competition; and without acceptable reason (to the handicap sec) you are rewarded with an increase of 0.1 to your handicap record (as well as any other sanctions your club have in place (based on the many posts on the subject made here).
    Which is why I was careful to say in my OP that I had recorded my scores for each hole in the computer. However, the HowDidIDo site records it as an N/R.
    Maybe there is a need for different terminology between not returning a score for a hole(s) and not returning a card.