Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Money List Winner

How are the current conditions affecting your game?

I am sure everyone is getting far more distance with the dry conditions, I hit a close to 300 yard drive today, but aside from distance are you finding any other strange results.

For example I was on a uphill par 5 green in 3 today and had a slightly downhill birdie putt, I thought I had just touched the ball but it missed the hole it was so dry that the ball ran off the green and 50 yards down the fairway!
    Last edited by louise_a; 06-Jul-2018 at 19:37.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

2018 <11.6>11.0

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Re: How are the current conditions affecting your game?

I play on a parkland course but I have to land approach shots short of the green now, by around 5- 10yds or so and allow the ball to run on. Land on the green and you are going through the back. That is the biggest difference for me.

Tour Rookie

The luck (or not) of the bounce is making shot a bit of a lottery. I find it is also harder to maintain concentration in the heat and humidity around here.

A bit tricky but links golf is like that so when I play parkland I use my links game.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week Callaway driver, 3 and 5 wood. Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Taylormade P790 irons DG 105 shafts, Vokey 200 series wedges 50 and 58. Odyssey works cruiser putter, Prov1x, HC 5.
    www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
    www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo21 View Post
    A bit tricky but links golf is like that so when I play parkland I use my links game.
    Just what I said to the girl I was playing today, its like links golf
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

2018 <11.6>11.0

Im finding it a lot easier truth be told. Drives running further so shorter shots in and i can run approach shots in too if necessary.

Baked turf masking any slight fats.

Wind been light of late too so cannot complain.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I play on a parkland course but I have to land approach shots short of the green now, by around 5- 10yds or so and allow the ball to run on. Land on the green and you are going through the back. That is the biggest difference for me.
    this some of our holes have bunkers in front of the green and its impossible on one par three.
    They werent designed for links golf.

Hit a drive on 11th 280 to the dog leg sailed through into rough lost ball right down the middle of fairway.
    Will need to adjust game tomorrow.

Q-School Graduate

I'm loving it tbh

Course #1 heathland and designed for fast running game. Shaping low mid irons that are running for days, tight lies plus lots of chip and runs suits me down to the ground

Course #2 - see what tomorrow brings, as it's not designed the same or in the same league. When the small greens get firm they're impossible for me to hold with my low ball flight. Not always possible to land short either due to the bunkering

All of the threads about games going badly makes me think everyone is struggling

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    All of the threads about games going badly makes me think everyone is struggling
    I wasn't actually posting about my game going badly, I was just gobsmacked.

I do find though that at my course where we have a lot of hazards that the conditions favour the higher handicappers. We have several holes where I have had to change from driver to 3 wood due to the run that would see my drive in the hazard, whereas a higher handicapper enjoys the extra run.

In this weeks competitions, the 18 hole comp and the 9 hole comp were both won by ladies who have never won anything before, I am pleased for them but it does show the affect of the conditions.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

2018 <11.6>11.0