Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Re: Matchplay Etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike07 View Post
    I really donít understand people who donít talk and engage in conversation in Club knock outs... golf is about fun and being social. We are not pros and we are out playing for the love of the game.

Of course... there is respect and etiquette at the correct times, but no chatter at all, come on..! Get a grip of yourself and some perspective on life.

One guy at our club takes a buggy and brings his wife along for support... there is apparently no chatter between players but his wife makes small talk.
    Think I prefer playing partners who don't talk much compared to those with verbal diarrhoea who just won't shut up (usually all about themselves) - I find that exhausting 😩

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Had my first competitive matchplay game last night. The bloke I was playing was great company, very friendly and chatty, and very encouraging when I hit a poor shot and very complimentary when I hit a good one.
    Great, just as it should be (most are like this in my experience)

a really enjoyable experience, and I can't wait to do it again, hopefully in a comp when I get my full allowance!
    Awesome

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Think I prefer playing partners who don't talk much compared to those with verbal diarrhoea who just won't shut up (usually all about themselves) - I find that exhausting 
    had a guy who turned up at the first tee one day and asked to join me and my mate. He then spent the next 3 and half hours telling joke after joke after joke. it was like a monologue. amusing for the first 5 minutes, but I felt like strangling him as the round when on!

Q-School Graduate

had a guy who turned up at the first tee one day and asked to join me and my mate. He then spent the next 3 and half hours telling joke after joke after joke. it was like a monologue. amusing for the first 5 minutes, but I felt like strangling him as the round when on!
    I know the type 😅

I was paired with a guy once (never seen him before) who within the first few holes was relentlessly telling me everything I was doing was wrong (posture/stance/plane/putting stroke/chipping technique etc) 😩😩

Best of it it I was off about 10 at the time (and playing well!) whilst he was off mid teens! 😂😂

Avoided him like the plague ever since!

Thereís the usual golf etiquette but other than that just whatís different?

Compliment the good shots, but I keep my mouth shut on the bad shots. Why should I make an effort to encourage him to play better? Do I really want him to beat me? Itís up to him to sort himself out if heís playing badly.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Think I prefer playing partners who don't talk much compared to those with verbal diarrhoea who just won't shut up (usually all about themselves) - I find that exhausting 😩
    There is definitely a balance..!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

We have a fella at our place who does this - a continual stream of jokes and 'funny' comments that only he finds funny as he laughs his head off at himself.

Partnered with him in a medal last year at a time I was really struggling - I was rather dreading it but decided that acceptance was the best thing. And so to the first green - a <18" tiddler for a 6 (already a shot gone ) and I miss it - for a 7 - to hear a laughing voice tell me "haha - you don't want to be doing that very often today"

I could have - I really could have. But I didn't.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Am I too late???

CONCEDE NOTHING !!!!!
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Am I too late???

CONCEDE NOTHING !!!!!
    Absolutely nothing - unless it's early in the match, is an easy one, and stops him practicing the tiddlers...these I might concede.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Concede nothing ?! Really - thatís nonsense - plenty of concessions in Matchplay - itís part of the format and helps keep the pace nicely