Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Matchplay Etiquette?

Have got my first competitive matchplay game next week, QFs of the 2nd division of the club championship (top 8 in a strokeplay event qualified for it).

Am not expecting much from it as I'm playing a bloke who should be giving me 7 shots and we are off scratch.

I'm more bothered about the etiquette. I assume it's fine to chat away to the opponent? Also, do folk generally call it a day as soon as the match is over, or do they carry on and play the full 18?

Any and all tips and pointers welcome, no matter how obvious they might seem!

Re: Matchplay Etiquette?

Chat if they chat back, if not remain quiet. Walk in as soon as the match is over, have never done anything else. Winner should buy the bevvies.
    Taylormade M1 9Ĺį, Oban Devotion 6 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22į
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Motocaddy S7 Remote
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

First - enjoy it , itís just a club KO , itís mainly supposed to be fun for both of you , chat to him ( obviously at the right time ) and be pleasant whilst playing as I expect you would be playing any type of game

When itís over I have played on at times or gone in - just ask the question and see what happens

And after itís done - again itís up to you , at times I have had to shoot but sometimes I have stayed for a drink - and I always offer regardless if I have won or lost

Journeyman Pro

I have virtually always carried on. Golf is not just about the winning or losing but also the enjoyment of the game and if you only get one game a week why quit early.

I am compulsive chatterer. For me golf is just as much about the social side of the game as the competitive and I do not see why you cannot be both at the same time just be careful to give the opponent adequate time and respect at the appropriate times.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Not sure about club matches as I donít play in them, but I do regional ones.
    I can never be bothered to play the full 18 but I always end up with someone who wishes to carry on. Might not be the case in your match being members.
    Iíll chat if they seem decent, Iíll even help look for an errant ball despite not having to.

Remember that he who is furthest away from the pin plays first. Trivial, but if you have a 30 footer on the green but your opponent is 15ft off the green. Itís your go! (Usually in a comp/knock everyone comes on the green?)
    Donít get upset if you go 3 down, you can claw it back. Hit a bad shot? Drink some water and forget about it.

Money List Winner

I play a lot of matchplay and normally people chat, however one girl I have played a few times is tight lipped all the way round, first time I played her I wondered what was wrong with her and it got in my head.

So if you get a silent one just ignore it and get on with your game.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

2018 <11.6>11.0

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Q-School Graduate

thanks for the advice guys. am just gonna go out and enjoy it.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by louise_a View Post
    I play a lot of matchplay and normally people chat, however one girl I have played a few times is tight lipped all the way round, first time I played her I wondered what was wrong with her and it got in my head.

So if you get a silent one just ignore it and get on with your game.
    Was she any good.?

Money List Winner

In club matches whether to continue or not falls to the visitors - home side are hosts and should act like ones.

Club knockout and, bluntly, you do what you feel appropriate for you (if you are going to be an are about it that is always your call).

Enjoy. I'm sure the opponent will make conversation between shots and you'll soon get a feel as to how talkative he is. Only ever played with one guy that was so obsessed about his game he'd say nothing on the tee (not even "good shot") and would race off to his ball and simply stand there until it was his shot. Not my most enjoyable four and a half hours

You'll be fine. As for walking in, simply ask the question when the time comes. Our 15th and 16th tend to be furthest away from the clubhouse so any games ending there, players carry on. I guess it depends how your course is laid out as to how feasible it is to walk in