Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I need a wedge as a beginner?

Im going to be playing only par 3/pitch and putt style courses this year as I start again from scratch.

The irons I bought includes a PW which I think is 46deg loft. I presumed I could hack around with pretty much just this and a putter given the dry hard conditions but wondering whether I should get something with a bit more loft also for either in sand (inevitable!) or round the greens?

If so what loft should I go for? Something like a 56 or 60? Any recommendations on brand that I can get as cheap as poss s/h?

Ta

Journeyman Pro

Re: Do I need a wedge as a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by BRISTOL86 View Post
    Im going to be playing only par 3/pitch and putt style courses this year as I start again from scratch.

The irons I bought includes a PW which I think is 46deg loft. I presumed I could hack around with pretty much just this and a putter given the dry hard conditions but wondering whether I should get something with a bit more loft also for either in sand (inevitable!) or round the greens?

If so what loft should I go for? Something like a 56 or 60? Any recommendations on brand that I can get as cheap as poss s/h?

Ta
    I think bob always says you only need 2 wedges .. pitch and sand

Then learn to play every shot with them

I personally have like 4 wedges cuz Im crap and need all the help I can get.

Id say defo a sand. Maybe 56?

I play 43, 50,54,58

But use the 54 less and less now days so its almost like 43, 50 58

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    I think bob always says you only need 2 wedges .. pitch and sand
    If the set has the old lofts
    eg
    9 iron.......45
    Pw...........50
    Sw...........55

Then 2 is perfick

If its the newer lofts
    eg
    Pw......45
    Gw......52
    Sw......58
    then it's 3

Low, medium and high.
    Don't try and make it more difficult.

As for the OP, I would say a 56 SW will be ideal to start with.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

A sand wedge is usually handy. Most notably, for sand. Maybe get a 54 - if you get a 60 you've still a massive gap between the PW and that. 54 should do you for bunkers and 80-odd yard pitches though.

Not necessarily for around the greens though, in summer and assuming no obstacles in the way, I find a chip and run with an 8 or 9 iron to be more reliable.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Thanks all. Perfect. Ill look at a 54 or 56 deg for sand and short holes (think some at the course Ill play a few times areas short as about 90yds)

I was in your position at the start of the year and managed to get a set of Callaway Mack daddy 4 wedges.
    I also play a short course par 61 and reckon you would benefit from having a wedge in your bag.
    My 56 deg gets the most use, closely followed by the 60, then 52 deg.
    Your local pro shop will have some you could try and probably some second-hand ones too.
    Failing that Fleabay has a thousands, some of which are likely to be close enough to collect, very cheap, but you probably wont be able to try.
    Further down the price scale you could try your local tip, you might be surprised!

Something with a decent grip, that wont send your hands black and a head in good nick will be a start.
    If you feel like pushing the boat out, definitely try a few.
    Good luck.
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons, Ping G30 SFTec Driver, Ping G30 Hybrids 17, 19, 22, Mack Daddy Wedges 52, 56, 60 Benross MD1 Putter

May I say...if as a beginner you can spank a sand iron (54/56*) 90 yards your pretty good beginner, for me thats a comfortable PW.

I would say forget the extra loft, and learn how to use the pw for almost everything.
    If Seve was able to learn to hit all type of shots with a 3 iron on a beach, I would say stick with the pw for now. Your short game will gain a lot from it.
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    May I say...if as a beginner you can spank a sand iron (54/56*) 90 yards your pretty good beginner, for me thats a comfortable PW.

I would say forget the extra loft, and learn how to use the pw for almost everything.
    If Seve was able to learn to hit all type of shots with a 3 iron on a beach, I would say stick with the pw for now. Your short game will gain a lot from it.
    Haha I have no idea what my distances are but tbh I was thinking more about my second shot after I mishit it and it goes 30 yards off the tee !!!

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    If the set has the old lofts
    eg
    9 iron.......45
    Pw...........50
    Sw...........55

Then 2 is perfick

If its the newer lofts
    eg
    Pw......45
    Gw......52
    Sw......58
    then it's 3

Low, medium and high.
    Don't try and make it more difficult.

As for the OP, I would say a 56 SW will be ideal to start with.
    That was it! I knew you said something on those lines.. Ive almost adopted it now myself with the 43 50 58 set.. I dont overly use my 54 now.. very rarely .. Ive become better and more confident with the 58

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    That was it! I knew you said something on those lines.. Ive almost adopted it now myself with the 43 50 58 set.. I dont overly use my 54 now.. very rarely .. Ive become better and more confident with the 58
    My own set up is similar. PW from my iron set is 44, then have Cleveland wedges at 50 and 56. I don't really think of the PW as a wedge, it's more like a '10 iron'.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot that I also have a 60 that I use in bunkers. I didn't actually buy that though so it doesn't count.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8