Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Cracks in the ground

My club has deemed visible cracks to be AGC for the duration of summer , or until they tell us otherwise.
    Very sensible decision , the games hard enough.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    My club has deemed visible cracks to be AGC for the duration of summer , or until they tell us otherwise.
    Very sensible decision , the games hard enough.
    This part of the 'problem' with some clubs. They do not first check the rule book to see if the local rule they wish to have is allowed.

It is how I came to be on the committee, where I play, in the first place. Various committees through the years kept introducing Local Rules which the R&A said they could not have and I kept bringing the appropriate decision to their attention.

It is not so much about common sense but making sure that wherever you play the club is using the same rule book.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    Rules are pretty much fine as they are!

In many ways, 'Golf' can be considered a reflection of real life and the character of the person who may be disadvantaged by their ball ending up randomly in a poor situation. Part of the game (and of many other sports, but golf seems more 'cerebral' than others) is how the player reacts to such situations. Like in life, those that shrug it off and get on with the rest of the round are more likely to be successful than those that let a particular event fester!

So instead of swearing and letting a bad situation ruin your round, just let it wash over you and make the best of it - just as you should in real life!
    Odd that the worldwide courses used by the PGA are all so meticulously maintained to give perfect greens and manicure fairways.

They should save their cash and reduce their carbon footprint and we'll all happily 'play the ball as it lies' and enjoy and smile at the challenge (luck) that divots, stones, natural humps and hollows provide.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    This part of the 'problem' with some clubs. They do not first check the rule book to see if the local rule they wish to have is allowed.

It is how I came to be on the committee, where I play, in the first place. Various committees through the years kept introducing Local Rules which the R&A said they could not have and I kept bringing the appropriate decision to their attention.

It is not so much about common sense but making sure that wherever you play the club is using the same rule book.
    but surely a local rule is just that LOCAL.
    Unless the R&A come and inspect every situation you can’t have one rule for all situations.
    I am sure the club have checked the legality of this,
    Maybe my interpretation was not clear enough my apologies if so.

Money List Winner

After consultation with the County, we do now have a specific local rule to cover these cracks.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

2018 <11.6>11.0

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Money List Winner

but surely a local rule is just that LOCAL.
    Unless the R&A come and inspect every situation you can’t have one rule for all situations.
    I am sure the club have checked the legality of this,
    Maybe my interpretation was not clear enough my apologies if so.
    They don't inspect the situation, they inspect the wording of the proposed LR against the rules and principles.

That crack A is worthy of relief, but not crack B is a matter for the committee to decide, and they then need to produce a LR that enables all players to take the same relief (as each other) for any situation they find themselves in (principle).

Specifically dealing with cracks, 25-12 already quoted covers the rule aspect ie you cannot designate all cracks as GUR but you may provide relief for players who find their ball in a large crack.

You now decide on a LR appropriate to your course and the current conditions that takes into account the rule and the principle and pass it by the R&A for approval (unless there's an approved OR wording that you wish youse as it is.) Simple process to do this now - used to be a phone call that could always get confusing!

I'm really glad you have such confidence in your committee - I only have to look at the LRs on cards for courses I visit to have very little such confidence (and that's before reading posts on here!)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by louise_a View Post
    After consultation with the County, we do now have a specific local rule to cover these cracks.
    Would be useful to see the approved wording Louise (famous last words....)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    They don't inspect the situation, they inspect the wording of the proposed LR against the rules and principles.

That crack A is worthy of relief, but not crack B is a matter for the committee to decide, and they then need to produce a LR that enables all players to take the same relief (as each other) for any situation they find themselves in (principle).

Specifically dealing with cracks, 25-12 already quoted covers the rule aspect ie you cannot designate all cracks as GUR but you may provide relief for players who find their ball in a large crack.

You now decide on a LR appropriate to your course and the current conditions that takes into account the rule and the principle and pass it by the R&A for approval (unless there's an approved OR wording that you wish youse as it is.) Simple process to do this now - used to be a phone call that could always get confusing!

I'm really glad you have such confidence in your committee - I only have to look at the LRs on cards for courses I visit to have very little such confidence (and that's before reading posts on here!)
    They have deemed it GUR relief under rule 25-1.
    only relief for the ball in crack through the green ,not your stance or swing.
    Would that be correct.

One man's crack, another man's ……………..

Money List Winner

They have deemed it GUR relief under rule 25-1.
    only relief for the ball in crack through the green ,not your stance or swing.
    Would that be correct.
    Playing devils advocate.....what you have written would seem to suggest that with the ball sitting on pretty much any tiny crack you may take relief (that if the area had a lot of cracks could enable you to move the ball a huge distance when it lands on a new crack when dropped each time) but that if the ball (amazingly) wasn't on a crack, but there was an 8" crack preventing you from taking your stance, it's tough luck.

As to whether it's 'correct'; as presented i would suggest that 25-12 says that such a worded LR isn't acceptable. Suitably defining 'in crack and 'crack' would be required.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....