Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Money List Winner

Cracks in the ground

Due to the dry conditions we have some shocking cracks opening up one in particular was as deep as a ball.

I was at another local club and noticed a notice stating free relief if your ball is on a crack, is this allowed, it is abnormal ground condition but not one listed in the rules.

It would certainly make sense to allow relief
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

2018 <11.6>11.0

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Tour Rookie

Re: Cracks in the ground

It certainly qualifies as "abnormal" - it ain't GUR etc. so I can't see why a local rule would be wrong.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by louise_a View Post
    Due to the dry conditions we have some shocking cracks opening up one in particular was as deep as a ball.

I was at another local club and noticed a notice stating free relief if your ball is on a crack, is this allowed, it is abnormal ground condition but not one listed in the rules.

It would certainly make sense to allow relief
    The problem with that definition as posTed is the definition of cracking ie you would basically be able to take relief at any time!

In principle it's a permitted LR situation but there needs to be some clarification. Don't have easy access to the rules for a few days but I thought there was a wording around this somewhere - probably in the appendix on ground conditions and LRs

Journeyman Pro

25/12

Cracks in Earth

Q.Are cracks in the earth which occur in hot and dry conditions ground under repair? Do the Rules of Golf provide relief?

A.No. However, a player whose ball is in a large crack would be justified in requesting the Committee to declare the crack to be ground under repair, and the Committee would be justified in doing so.

I am presuming from this decision that a club would not be able to have a general local rule but would be able to give relief in specific locations.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    25/12

Cracks in Earth

Q.Are cracks in the earth which occur in hot and dry conditions ground under repair? Do the Rules of Golf provide relief?

A.No. However, a player whose ball is in a large crack would be justified in requesting the Committee to declare the crack to be ground under repair, and the Committee would be justified in doing so.

I am presuming from this decision that a club would not be able to have a general local rule but would be able to give relief in specific locations.
    This is very big job when they are appearing all over the course.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

2018 <11.6>11.0

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Tour Rookie

I know its no longer fashionable but 'common sense' would surely say that if the crack is sufficient that a ball is either stopped by or sits with (say 25%) a 'crack' then that is abnormal.

The real-world probability of it occurring would be pretty low so I can't see that giving relief would be likely to influence scores in a major way.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    25/12

Cracks in Earth

Cheers Jim, that's one thing I was thinking about.

My interpretation of this, as posted above, is that the committee may make a LR permitting relief (from such cracks) providing that they are able to define them in a manner that meets the principle within the decision. The last post above includes what I would consider an appropriate attempt. Something along the lines of the ball sitting in a crack of more than 1/2" (13mm) width at that point.

Head Pro

One day they might get the rules right, like greens if your in the fairway you should be able at all times to lift clean and place crack divot or bad lie. anything else play it as it lies.
    unrepaired pitch marks and on the fringe again a penalty for the person who hasn't done anything wrong chipping onto the green from a fairway lie. backwards thinking.

common sense golf rules.
    2018: 5.8 > current 5.8 (year best 4.8)
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
    One day they might get the rules right, like greens if your in the fairway you should be able at all times to lift clean and place crack divot or bad lie. anything else play it as it lies.
    unrepaired pitch marks and on the fringe again a penalty for the person who hasn't done anything wrong chipping onto the green from a fairway lie. backwards thinking.

common sense golf rules.
    hmmm.. not sure about this. Golf isn't fair, part of the game is (within reason) the ability to overcome adversity.

As for the cracks, would the local rule be through the green or just on close mown areas?

Quote Originally Posted by OnTour View Post

common sense golf rules.
    Rules are pretty much fine as they are!

In many ways, 'Golf' can be considered a reflection of real life and the character of the person who may be disadvantaged by their ball ending up randomly in a poor situation. Part of the game (and of many other sports, but golf seems more 'cerebral' than others) is how the player reacts to such situations. Like in life, those that shrug it off and get on with the rest of the round are more likely to be successful than those that let a particular event fester!

So instead of swearing and letting a bad situation ruin your round, just let it wash over you and make the best of it - just as you should in real life!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei