Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: When things are going really bad in your game what do you do?

Just go out and hit the ball. Stuff the score, go and have a blast/lash.

25 lessons, taking onboard that many new things. When do you find time to groove them before the next one and the next one and the next one.

Surely the pro can see youíre really struggling with it all, and heís still pressing on and taking your money?

Stop the lessons for a good few weeks and just go and have some fun.
    Give it big humpties

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Not sure how to read that

Are you saying you've got the balance too far the other way now (too much course time / not enough instruction)
    I read it that his handicap doesn't move down whatever he does....but there a blog there to get all the detail you need on the subject!

When my game goes to **** (pretty frequently, alas) I scale everything back. Fewer clubs and fewer partners.

Spending time with three or four clubs only and with no-one who cares about the score really helps.

All the way to one club and no partners, which has become my favourite game

bm

Head Pro

I think there does become a time when you need to stop having lessons and try and own your swing. I have very occasional lessons and almost only ever Flightscope/Trackman driven sessions. I find eternal swing by numbers lessons just fill my head with so many swing thoughts, I've got no chance of hitting the ball.

If you know what your good/bad tendencies are, you are almost there. Understand these, be able to identify them and their causes/effects, and work on simple excercises and drills.

As an aside, I am in the same boat. My game has left town at the moment (Dire of tee or fairway). Recalling my last Flightscope sessions and a bit of self video, looks like it will have me back on track.

Keep at it and good luck.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Just go out and hit the ball. Stuff the score, go and have a blast/lash.

25 lessons, taking onboard that many new things. When do you find time to groove them before the next one and the next one and the next one.

Surely the pro can see youíre really struggling with it all, and heís still pressing on and taking your money?

Stop the lessons for a good few weeks and just go and have some fun.
    That's just the way Brian.

And so after Saturday's OK medal with no s****s I went out again yesterday evening - played 12 holes by myself with two balls - and not a s***k in sight. Which is all a bit weird given my Thursday evening lesson when the pro reckoned I s***ked 80% of balls hit in the hour.

But I knew I just had to get back onto the golf course where I am comfortable; where I know what I am doing and, most importantly, where I am happy.

I may not have another lesson for a few weeks - maybe not until after my coach and I play Southerness in August (my coach is my daughters b/friend and we are all going up to Embra for my birthday)
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Not sure how to read that

Are you saying you've got the balance too far the other way now (too much course time / not enough instruction)
    Not sure really. I have spent so many seasons chained to the practice ground working on stuff after lessons and never getting better I made a conscious effort in 2018 to focus practice solely on short game from 100 yards and in and only hit balls one day a week to keep the basics honed. After that I wanted to play and test the game in real time situations. I feel it's helping. I had a win and a second and got cut from 15-14 but can't seem to kick on again.

Journeyman Pro

what do i do? I usually moan a lot, sulk and stop playing for a bit. Then try again and do a bit more moaning and sulking.

I have been hitting it really well for the past few weeks, then played 36 on Friday and couldn't hit anything but a large cut. Range last night, and the same. Heading back to the range again tonight to see if I can figure it out
    Wabey
    Titleist 917 D3 Driver | Ping G 3 Wood | Ping G 5 Wood | Mizuno MP-650 Hybrid | Mizuno JPX-900 Forged | Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges | Edel E-3 Putter
    Thetford Golf Club, Norfolk
    @MattWabe

Money List Winner

Dump the coach, end of.

i booked in for five lessons and wanted them over five days. He/coach said we will get them in over 10 weeks. He wanted me to have a lesson and go away and practice, get muscle memory, routines or rituals, etc etc. Don't know how you can do that when you have a lesson nigh on every week.
    I would say go back to basics, but by the sounds of your game, am not sure the basics are even right. ☹️

CVG and me have a foolproof method...
    Blame Fragger!
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.8 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Well, it looks like it came back a bit for you last Saturday Stuart