Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Blackballed

Envy or jealousy ?

Here's one to chew over, being Scottish it's pretty bloody depressing watching the world cup knowing we're not there....as usual and that we're unlikely to be any time soon. However, it's almost as difficult suffering Engurlands progress as it's just hard to listen to but here's a thing, I'm not jealous, I'm envious, personally couldn't bare you lot to win it but I really do wish I could share the feeling of euphoria and atmosphere that comes over a nation through sport.

Guess the closest we've got in recent years was the Golden Saturday at the Olympics in 2012

Come on Sweden !

Re: Envy or jealousy ?

No hard feelings from my point of view. Rivalry is rivalry and I don't hold that against anyone... I've never classed myself as British, I'm English through and through and that's why I understand your thought process.

Ps I'm glad that Scottish fella is out of Wimbledon this year. I've never liked him. 👍

Completely gutted we're not there. However saying that if we were there we'd have had a complete doing off every one of those teams, including the Saudis.

I'm not envious or Jealous although I have no idea why nations like Uruguay, Denmark, and Croatia can churn out players capable of holding their own and more, yet we can't, despite similar or smaller populations. I guess the desire to succeed in this country just isn't there.

A whole other thread should be devoted to the subject but there's political, social and economic reasons that really need to be addressed at government level before we'll qualify for anything again. In my opinion, of course.

I'm enjoying the world cup, not lessened for me, watching Scotland at world cups in 70s 80s 90s was never that enjoyable, more lows than highs tbh. Watched the Colombia game with my English Mrs and her English friend and daughter, was quite enjoyable seeing them stress, I'm entirely neutral, glad the Germans went out but that's it. Have a bit of a soft spot for Croatia as I admire Modric, would quite like to see a new winner.

Should have qualified my post by saying for me it's been the best World Cup I can remember. Really exciting.

I'll also not be supporting our neighbours. I'm just a fan of Football these days rather than a stressed out football fan.

I’ve never understood the hatred of England by Scottish people tbh. Maybe some of you guys can explain it to me?

Why hate England so much?

Why must it it always be “anyone but England”?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    I’ve never understood the hatred of England by Scottish people tbh. Maybe some of you guys can explain it to me?

Why hate England so much?

Why must it it always be “anyone but England”?
    To counter that there's been 'I hate the germans' and 'I hate the argies' on the world cup thread. Nobody's asked them why.

The insistence of some Scots to detest England is small-minded or pathetic.

Come on England :-).

BTW - I'm from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingGale View Post
    To counter that there's been 'I hate the germans' and 'I hate the argies' on the world cup thread. Nobody's asked them why.
    Ask them if you want, I’m not stopping you or suggesting that you shouldn’t.

This is a thread about Scottish dislike of England. I’m genuinely interested in the reasons why, hence why I asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    Ask them if you want, I’m not stopping you or suggesting that you shouldn’t.

This is a thread about Scottish dislike of England. I’m genuinely interested in the reasons why, hence why I asked the question.
    Dont mix up a historic football rivalty that these days is not even that, with dislike of a people or a country or politics. There is very little imo but there is strong anti Tory feeling which can get mixed up as anti English since MaggieT. From comments all over this forum I think dislike is stronger in the other direction tbh largely because of the indyref and SNP and political issues that gets spun down south in certain media.