Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: Brexit - or Article 50: the Pheonix!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Are you not a fan of democracy?

People voted, a decision was made, govt is there to enforce the will of the people. I know this has been repeated time and time again but a decision was made, deal with it.
    Democracy is a continuous process that allows the electorate to change it's mind.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Tour Rookie

British Social Attitude Survey reports 36%, an increase of 12%, of respondents want out of the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Democracy is a continuous process that allows the electorate to change it's mind.

But that doesn't include people in charge never standing for election, or those elected, ignoring the outcome of a vote

ps - who (other than you) says the electorate has changed it's mind over Brexit? Last YouGov Survey reported folk were saying "get on with it!"
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Stockpiling food and medicines ahead of 29th March 2019 as contingency in event of No Deal. What? Fake News and Project Fear surely? Well it would have been if it had been said on 23rd June 2016. But no - it is the headline of today's Sun newspaper.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/674723...rocessed-food/

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    But that doesn't include people in charge never standing for election, or those elected, ignoring the outcome of a vote

ps - who (other than you) says the electorate has changed it's mind over Brexit? Last YouGov Survey reported folk were saying "get on with it!"
    I am not saying that they have changed their minds but democracy allows the electorate to change their minds.

We vote for a government once every 5 years. Our electoral system enables us to change our minds and vote in another party 5 years later. Once we are out of the EU the opportunity for the electorate to change it's mind vanishes - at least for decades.

How does this show Brussels that we are dead serious over No Deal - when preparation such as this for a No Deal implies a very difficult and chaotic outcome from a No Deal - and so surely something that we would avoid at almost any cost?
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 11-Jul-2018 at 09:37.

Job done

I am not saying that they have changed their minds but democracy allows the electorate to change their minds.

We vote for a government once every 5 years. Our electoral system enables us to change our minds and vote in another party 5 years later. Once we are out of the EU the opportunity for the electorate to change it's mind vanishes - at least for decades.

How does this show Brussels that we are dead serious over No Deal - when preparation such as this for a No Deal implies a very difficult and chaotic outcome from a No Deal - and so surely something that we would avoid at almost any cost?

We’ve had this discussion on democracy countless times. Enacting the result of the vote is democracy, ignoring it and continually voting on something till you get the answer YOU want absolutely isn’t democracy.

Enact the vote, then once every 5 years have another, fine.
    Give it big humpties

Stockpiling food and medicines ahead of 29th March 2019 as contingency in event of No Deal. What? Fake News and Project Fear surely? Well it would have been if it had been said on 23rd June 2016. But no - it is the headline of today's Sun newspaper.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/674723...rocessed-food/
    I didn't put you down as a Sun reader to be honest, but that does explain a lot.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Twire View Post
    I didn't put you down as a Sun reader to be honest, but that does explain a lot.
    Not sure what it explains - are you suggesting something about Sun readers?

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    spot on !!!
    Anything involving politicians is always a shambles.
    So would you have business leaders running the negotiations?

In fact that was proposed by some Leave voters worried at having the Remainer May leading the way - as clearly businessmen would do a much better job at negotiating our terms of leaving.

But there would have been just a little problem with putting it in the hands of big business would there not...!

Job done

Not sure what it explains - are you suggesting something about Sun readers?
    It just explains where you get your sensationalism from..
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.