Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Time to admit defeat...

Ive been playing with a set of Nike vapor pro combo irons for the last four years got fitted to them theyre beautiful irons but you need to be on top of you game to get the max out of them.so Im thinking playing of a 12 handicap maybe going for somthing a bit more forgiving will help me with consistency and help me more .Any one else gone back to a more forgiving iron over a players club and seen good results Im thinking about the Taylormade m3s or titleist ap3s but the cobra one length sound real interesting cheers in advance
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

Re: Time to admit defeat...

Thinking about it. Lost quite a bit of distance when I moved to my Wilson Staff C200s (not exactly blades I know) so tempted to get my Adams Blue irons back out for a go.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

AND THE WINNER IS...............

http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

Handicap 14.9

I did the same thing from exactly the same set of clubs....I got my Nikes when I started playing better (down to 16) and thought I needed a better player iron. I found the Nikes amazing when I was on it but a pain when I wasn't.....so I'm now using Cobra One length F7s (ie a game improver iron) and I'm now down to 13.4.

Golf is hard, why make it harder.

I did the change back from Mizuno's, after a couple more changes I now use AP1's. If you have to be on top of your game to use a set of clubs I guess it stands to reason that easier to hit clubs will score better, more consistently.

I tried the Cobra One length clubs and hit them ok but realised, as a bit of a club changer, that the move back to standard clubs may prove much more difficult than the move to them.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by adam6177 View Post
    Golf is hard, why make it harder.
    This, really. We've had a lot of topics like this one in the last couple of months. Never sure why people jump at the chance to get 'better player' irons when they haven't reached single figures and immediately find the game much harder all of a sudden. Find a nice set of irons that you like and if it's going well, why change?
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Yeah went from Ping S56's to Mizuno JPX 900 Forged.

Absolutely loved playing the Pings, had them in the bag for about 2-3 years. My swing started to deteriorate and I just wasn't middling them well enough to play them. You really noticed a massive drop off in distance on the longer clubs if you didn't middle it.

End of the day I'm playing the right club for where my game is at now. Still have the pings in the cupboard just in case my swing sorts itself out.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk

Assistant Pro

Well my driving ,wedge play and putting are a lot better than they have ever been after spending a fair bit of time practicing these parts of my game as felt they were a weakness for me and as a result playing to my handicap again and had a couple of rounds under it too,This has been with playing hit or miss iron shots as I feel I got to really be on top of it to get the irons going so Ive admitted defeat I need a more forgiving iron to help me rather than hinder me and maybe with that bit more consistency in this part of my game I can break into single figures .This becomes more obvious when playing with a good number of cat one golfers who all play a forgiving iron which says it all really a lot more room for error .
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg ,Taylormade m4 Hl 3 wood ,Taylormade m4 19deg hybrid,Nike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

Some tour pro's play/played G I clubs, I believe Westwood and McGinley did
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

At your level you probably dont need forgiveness in the 8 iron and below so a hybrid set might be the best of both worlds.

Some hybrids at the top end, forgiving clubs in the middle and mid cavities in the short irons then blade wedges.

Most sets are almost there by accident, maybe this is a chance to do it in a planned way.

When I get fitted for a set I will state this up front that I cam comfortable having a mix as long as the distance gapping is even.

I play Cleveland and have been looking very hard at the 588MT set. Would they be an improvement on the CG16's?
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.