Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: P790 or Mp MMC

Tour Winner

Re: P790 or Mp MMC

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    i couldn't get the p790 above 5500 with 91 mph ss
    With which iron, 7 i assume?

I was about 6,200 or 6,400 (slightly weakened loft from standard) but like I say a monitor is one thing and course is another, I've had zero issues with "low spin" over the last 8/9 months I've had them.
    H'cap = 4.5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by NWJocko View Post

I was about 6,200 or 6,400 (slightly weakened loft from standard) but like I say a monitor is one thing and course is another, I've had zero issues with "low spin" over the last 8/9 months I've had them.
    yes 7 iron. i could live with anything above 6000

Q-School Graduate

Good to hear you’ve had no issues with spin ! Do you find they launch high then and that’s what allows them to stop? Have you seen much distance increase?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by karlcole View Post
    Good to hear you’ve had no issues with spin ! Do you find they launch high then and that’s what allows them to stop? Have you seen much distance increase?
    In terms of launch then I guess a standard shot is slightly higher but more down to how I swing in terms of hitting it higher or lower etc.

Even if I hit a low shot into a green they still stop (again assuming I hit it well and not out of thick rough etc)

Distance increase, perhaps a little in the longer irons (more that I can hit them higher and more consistently as a bit more forgiving than what I've used previously) but in the lower irons (7-PW) they aren't long really. I didn't want clubs that went crazy distances, more interested in consistency of distance.
    H'cap = 4.5

Assistant Pro

yes 7 iron. i could live with anything above 6000
    But, doesn't the P790 hit it about a club longer, due to stronger lofts and hot face, therefore for your normal 7 iron distance shouldn't you be comparing 8 iron spin?
    Handicap progress:Sep '17. First ever handicap. 19.Oct: 18.1. > 17.8 > 18.1. Handicap Challenge: 94Tegsi 18.1 v Fish 16.8. 94Tegsi 18.1 v Dando 15.0

In terms of launch then I guess a standard shot is slightly higher but more down to how I swing in terms of hitting it higher or lower etc.

Even if I hit a low shot into a green they still stop (again assuming I hit it well and not out of thick rough etc)

Distance increase, perhaps a little in the longer irons (more that I can hit them higher and more consistently as a bit more forgiving than what I've used previously) but in the lower irons (7-PW) they aren't long really. I didn't want clubs that went crazy distances, more interested in consistency of distance.
    I've just picked up my 790's and am finding much the same thing. Maybe half a club longer than my 714 AP2's in the short irons and a full club in the 5/6. They launch higher but not worryingly so. I've put Project X 6.0's in mine to drop the launch a touch over the C Tapers.
    Can't really comment on the spin as the course is too damned hard ATM.

Really lovely feel from them though. I tested them against the AP3's and the feel/sound was much preferable to me.
    TM M2 - Rogue Black stiff shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM RBZ 18* Hybrid
    Srixon 20 degree driving iron
    Taylor made P790 5-PW - Project X 6.0
    Vokey wedges 50, 56 & 60
    Odyssey Fang Tank

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 94tegsi View Post
    But, doesn't the P790 hit it about a club longer, due to stronger lofts and hot face, therefore for your normal 7 iron distance shouldn't you be comparing 8 iron spin?
    if it's a club longer then i should be comparing it to a 6 iron and spin rate. hence 6000 and above being acceptable

Assistant Pro

if it's a club longer then i should be comparing it to a 6 iron and spin rate. hence 6000 and above being acceptable
    If for example you hit your current 7 iron 160 yards, then with the P790 you use an 8 iron to hit 160 yards, surely you should compare spin/descent angles for these two clubs for the distance hit?
    Handicap progress:Sep '17. First ever handicap. 19.Oct: 18.1. > 17.8 > 18.1. Handicap Challenge: 94Tegsi 18.1 v Fish 16.8. 94Tegsi 18.1 v Dando 15.0

Quote Originally Posted by 94tegsi View Post
    If for example you hit your current 7 iron 160 yards, then with the P790 you use an 8 iron to hit 160 yards, surely you should compare spin/descent angles for these two clubs for the distance hit?
    You're both saying exactly the same thing!!
    TM M2 - Rogue Black stiff shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM RBZ 18* Hybrid
    Srixon 20 degree driving iron
    Taylor made P790 5-PW - Project X 6.0
    Vokey wedges 50, 56 & 60
    Odyssey Fang Tank

Club Champion

P790 are now available in black and look really nice
    https://www.taylormadegolf.eu/P790-B...eases#start=1&